The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

the oracle of all new guitar, amps & gizmos -the namm show- has already cancelled the winter 2021 namm show..not exactly an encouraging sign!

music biz is taking big hit...sad days

was looking around some guitar manufacturers sites earlier...very few items...and little innovation...

thank goodness for fmic/fender still poundin' out new product!!...leo had it right!!

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This year has been unbelievable...

User Info Menu

Granted ton of preparation goes into it but a year and a quarter away?
    They must know what they're doing though.

User Info Menu

that would be (just over) a quarter away wm...january 2021..winter namm..usually mid january!

cheers

User Info Menu

Hah, thanks! Seemed like the last one was pretty recent and it was

User Info Menu

Goddamn Covid...

Must remember it’s just a mindless virus working according to Darwinian principles...

Clubs are going to be closing left and right. Tough not to be a Debbie Downer these days.

User Info Menu

Can't say I'm surprised but I do hate to hear this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

Must remember it’s just a mindless virus working according to Darwinian principles...
    You've just described the human race

User Info Menu

Last January there were a lot of Chinese exhibitors. Many of them wore masks. A close call, I'd say. Thinking of Anaheim, it's Disney, Convention Center (with NAMM as their main annual event), hotels and restaurants. Must be a terrible pinch.

User Info Menu

In a sorta unrelated note, the Toronto Blue Jays have moved to the Buffalo Bison's minor league Sahlen Field and made major upgrades to the grounds, lighting, and players' facilities. So, the Jays and other teams don't have to cross the border during covid. Sahlen Field in Buffalo has always been considered one of the finest in minor league stadiums, so the close proximity to the Toronto/Canada border and the easier upgrades made sense. And what's really cool is that the upgrades will remain permanent for the stadium if this craziness ever comes to an end. Could even mean a major league team coming to Buffalo. (And FWIW, I am not a baseball fan at all, but that would still be cool.)

"Buffalo Era" of Blue Jays baseball begins | WBEN 930am
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 08-11-2020 at 11:10 AM.

User Info Menu

FWIW I think certain events like this could be held IF everyone wore masks and used good hygiene measures (handwashing, etc.). Especially if all or most of the events could be held outdoors or in a large space with good ventilation.

My elderly father has been to some antique farm shows—in fact going to one next week in Indiana. Those are almost exclusively outside though. I told him to wear a mask. He’s stubborn, not sure he will listen...

My guess is the organizers of events are paranoid about the liability though. That’s why no one wants to go out too far on largish events these days.

User Info Menu

Kudos to NAMM for being proactive. . We are only beginning to learn how to exist in this new reality. The pre-covid ways are gone forever.

User Info Menu

FWIW I think certain events like this could be held IF everyone wore masks and used good hygiene measures (handwashing, etc.). Especially if all or most of the events could be held outdoors or in a large space with good ventilation.
    My guess is the organizers of events are paranoid about the liability though. That’s why no one wants to go out too far on largish events these days.
    Yes, I think it you reduced the number of attendees considerably, made a mask obligatory, had temperature checks at the door, made it timed entry etc, reasonably large events could take place. I don't think you could really do NAMM outdoors though.

The above measures have their own self-defeating aspects though: the whole point point about something like NAMM is to speak to loads of people. And to speak to lots of people from different countries - I imagine the organisers were thinking ahead in terms of realistic numbers of international attendees and what this means for costs if there aren't many!

Plus at something like NAMM people will want to play instruments by touching them. Touching instruments is going to be a big ongoing issue in terms of coronavirus hygeine for both trade shows and shops.

User Info Menu

I've been to NAMM 8 or 9 times and come home sick from almost all of them. That's a common enough experience that NAMM regulars refer to it as "NAMM Crud". It's hard for me to believe that there is any way to make NAMM safe during a pandemic and still have it be NAMM. I'm sure you could hold a much smaller event but I'm not sure that would be economically viable. Having been a vendor paying the insane cost of exhibiting at NAMM, I wanted the show to be as crowded as possible to try to get a return on my investment. And it's important to remember, NAMM does not exist to provide entertainment to the attendees. It exists to provide business opportunity to the vendors.

User Info Menu

I think lots of things could be done in fair weather with big tents, outdoors. One way foot traffic, social distancing, masks, goggles, and big centrifugal fans.

I also think that the reason they're not yet is because people assume that the virus will be over "next year". Only problem is, the calendar is a rolling one. Adaptation needs to occur at some point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    I think lots of things could be done in fair weather with big tents, outdoors. One way foot traffic, social distancing, masks, goggles, and big centrifugal fans.

I also think that the reason they're not yet is because people assume that the virus will be over "next year". Only problem is, the calendar is a rolling one. Adaptation needs to occur at some point.
    A lot of adaptation from a business stand point is to simply replace as much in-person commerce with on-line commerce. Trade shows have been struggling for years because that process was already well underway so yes, adaptation needs to occur at some point but that doesn't necessarily mean a return to the way things were.

Adaptation is also a lot easier in places that have done a better job of managing the pandemic. It's amazing to me how much is open here in Halifax. And we're buying tickets today for an October concert in New Brunswick. They're able to do that now because people were willing to be a lot more co-operative from the outset.

User Info Menu

I am still shocked at how many people shun the good advice. We were out last night at an ice cream stand, and there was a couple actually kinda *mocking* most of us who were being safe with masks and separation. Blows my mind. I hate to say "redneck," but here we go...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    A lot of adaptation from a business stand point is to simply replace as much in-person commerce with on-line commerce. Trade shows have been struggling for years because that process was already well underway so yes, adaptation needs to occur at some point but that doesn't necessarily mean a return to the way things were.
    It'll be a big shame if it spells the end of the consumer-facing 'guitar show' though. One thing you can't replace online is being able to go to a conference hall once or twice a year and try out loads and loads of guitars, from the super-cheap to the megabucks expensive. The only thing that comes close to that are I suppose the big music warehouse type places but even then you can't really stay there all day trying out guitar after guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I am still shocked at how many people shun the good advice.
    "We are fighting a war on two fronts. A war against COVID and a war against stupidity. And the problem is, the first one...
    I have some hope about winning. But the second one is becoming more and more difficult to treat. People are not listening"
    - Dr. Joseph Varon MD, Chief Medical Officer, United Memorial Medical Center, Houston, TX.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I am still shocked at how many people shun the good advice. We were out last night at an ice cream stand, and there was a couple actually kinda *mocking* most of us who were being safe with masks and separation. Blows my mind. I hate to say "redneck," but here we go...
    The selfish covidiots are everywhere, we have them up here too...they are the reason we will get a 2nd wave and not be out of the wood before long...

User Info Menu

Couldn't they just hold it in Thighland?

User Info Menu

My elderly father has been to some antique farm shows—in fact going to one next week in Indiana. Those are almost exclusively outside though. I told him to wear a mask. He’s stubborn, not sure he will listen...
    A decent % of the population seems to be like that... not sure how this thing is going to be defeated in the U.S. any time soon.

User Info Menu

I’m so susceptible to GAS a cancelled NAMM is going to save me money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Milton
    It'll be a big shame if it spells the end of the consumer-facing 'guitar show' though. One thing you can't replace online is being able to go to a conference hall once or twice a year and try out loads and loads of guitars, from the super-cheap to the megabucks expensive. The only thing that comes close to that are I suppose the big music warehouse type places but even then you can't really stay there all day trying out guitar after guitar.
    That sort of experience might be possible if the primary cost is moved from the exhibitors to the attendees but as long as it's fully financed by the exhibitors fees, the exhibitors are going to demand a full house.

User Info Menu

It seems prudent for NAMM to cancel. Kudos to the organizers for taking the smart hit. Darn shame, though.

But on the upside--man, I look sooooo hard for upsides these days---my understanding is that sales of guitars and keyboards are doing very well, better than average.

So if this crisis gets more people into learning and playing an instrument, that seems like one small good thing. I'll try to glean a little joy from that. Weak tea, I know, but still it's something.