Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I'm looking at a Samick Epi JP Emperor.
    Please could someone explain this serial number
    S92066xx.
    TIA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From what I can google, it was built by Samick in Korea in June of 1992.

User Info Menu

^ correct

i have S93... samick built epi sheraton...early 90's was beginning of epis big leap back into marketplace..sk manufacture..but well done....mid to late 90's were prime years for epi qc!

S92...check the frets carefully...(if it hasnt been refretted)...electronics are nothing special..but the builds are solid..well put together

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    From what I can google, it was built by Samick in Korea in June of 1992.
    Thanks. That's what I assumed.
    2 things I googled - wikipedia says they weren't produced until '93/'94? And from serial number data, 1 letter and 7 digits gives S = Samick, 1st digit = year, 3rd and 4th = month. So what's the 2nd digit? Confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ^ correct

i have S93... samick built epi sheraton...early 90's was beginning of epis big leap back into marketplace..sk manufacture..but well done....mid to late 90's were prime years for epi qc!

S92...check the frets carefully...(if it hasnt been refretted)...electronics are nothing special..but the builds are solid..well put together

cheers
    Thanks. Interesting info.

User Info Menu

For the Epis produced in the early 90s, I think the first letter is the factory, the first two digits are the year, next two the month, then the production number. At least that's what I read. I won't swear to any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    For the Epis produced in the early 90s, I think the first letter is the factory, the first two digits are the year, next two the month, then the production number. At least that's what I read. I won't swear to any of it.
    Thanks. I'm sure that must be right. It's slightly confusing in that wikipedia suggests the JP model didn't come out till '93/'94 and the one I'm looking at would be from '92. I haven't been in touch with the seller but the gtr hasn't a pg or the JP TRC. I thought may be it's a pre JP (if that really matters), but the pickup switch is in the JP location. Cheers.

User Info Menu

The Joe Pass was a rebadged "Emperor" which was produced from (first number in SN was the decade year 6=86, 7=87 etc) 1984 to 1990. What happened between 1990 and the actual Joe Pass badge on it is a grey area. I have a 97 with a Joe Pass TRC, and a label inside that reads "Emperor" has a 97 date code and no "E" on the pick guard.

The problem is what parts were switched in later models. Some players HATED the BIG "E" on the PG and either replaced it or pulled the "E" off.

Epiphone Joe Pass serial number query.-epi_emperor_details-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    The Joe Pass was a rebadged "Emperor" which was produced from (first number in SN was the decade year 6=86, 7=87 etc) 1984 to 1990. What happened between 1990 and the actual Joe Pass badge on it is a grey area. I have a 97 with a Joe Pass TRC, and a label inside that reads "Emperor" has a 97 date code and no "E" on the pick guard.

The problem is what parts were switched in later models. Some players HATED the BIG "E" on the PG and either replaced it or pulled the "E" off.

Epiphone Joe Pass serial number query.-epi_emperor_details-jpg
    Thanks Gary.
    I think the one I'm looking at is from the grey period. I'm not concerned over lack of JP pg and TRC.
    I've read that (some of?) the Korean ones may have had sound posts Are you able to shed any light on that please? Also the asking price is £350. Is that about right?
    Many thanks.

User Info Menu

even if, sound post means less on all laminated guitar

select spruce is/was epi newspeak for laminated!

price is about 500 usa...not bad..tho stateside, you can still find for less, quite frequently...

as i said ^, those early 90's samicks had good woodworking builds..but they saved money on the parts...

newer epi's were maybe less solidly built, but had upgraded parts..so even steven

cheers

User Info Menu

Hey GB, that price is about on the low end, the few I've seen of that era go up in $$ from there.

Personally I'd have an older one before anything they made recently, oh, and mine do not have a sound post. Even if they did, that's not necessarily a bad thing. My Aria PE-175 has a post and it's one of the sweetest sounding gits I've owned. I judge a git on it's merits before net hype / hate any day.

Hey GB, that price is about on the low end, the few I've seen of that era go up in $$ from there.

Personally I'd have an older one before anything they made recently, oh, and mine do not have a sound post. Even if they did, that's not necessarily a bad thing. My Aria PE-175 has a post and it's one of the sweetest sounding gits I've owned. I judge a git on it's merits before net hype / hate any day.
    Thanks Gary.
    Just sorting the logistics getting it past the missus!
    Ps what's the headstock on the Aria. Did they do them with the open book? Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Thanks Gary.
    Just sorting the logistics getting it past the missus! Ps what's the headstock on the Aria. Did they do them with the open book? Cheers.
    The Aria has a head more like some Ibanez and Yamahas, it sort of looks like the profile of a castle wall battlement. I don't think Aria was trying to copy the ES-175, nothing about it visually resembles a 175, why they used the 175 name and it being so visually dissimilar is a mystery. I'll give it this though, they play and sound a lot better than some dog ES-175's I've heard at nearly 1/4 the price in some cases.

Once upon a time JackZ had a vid of him playing a HE, I think the Herb Ellis was one of, if not the best sound I've heard him playing.

The Aria has a head more like some Ibanez and Yamahas, it sort of looks like the profile of a castle wall battlement. I don't think Aria was trying to copy the ES-175, nothing about it visually resembles a 175, why they used the 175 name and it being so visually dissimilar is a mystery. I'll give it this though, they play and sound a lot better than some dog ES-175's I've heard at nearly 1/4 the price in some cases.

Once upon a time JackZ had a vid of him playing a HE, I think the Herb Ellis was one of, if not the best sound I've heard him playing.

Thanks Gary.
    Ive had a bit of googling around and found the JZ clip showing the castellation type HS.. Lovely tone.
    There is a PE feature on Premier Guitar which shows the HS with the main sweep of the open book without the v notch - like you get in some kit guitars!! I'm sure I've seen a PE with a 'proper' 175 cutaway aswell but could be wrong. Anyway, going to check out the Epi JP tomorrow! Cheers.

Successful purchase!Epiphone Joe Pass serial number query.-20200814_105800-jpgEpiphone Joe Pass serial number query.-20200814_105828-jpg