The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Been thinking about amplifying the Taylor. In general I haven’t been thrilled with the ES2 pickup. Started researching DI/acoustic pres and came across the Mesa Rosette. On line demos sounded good enough to track down a local dealer and try one. Sounded very nice through an FRFR power amp the dealer had setup. Sounded even better through the 2x8 combo version. Display model, 1/3 off. Cheaper than Reverb used by a couple hundred and I get the warranty. Sold! Small Mom and Pop seemed very happy for the sale. This was by far the most high end item in this shop that caters to beginners.

Comes with a big manual. Lots of lights, knob, and switches. But I had that guitar sounding great in about 2 minutes of tweaking. 2 channels, 1 with XLR for a mic. Reverb, chorus. Three record outs, 1 for each channel and a blended? Headphone out. Turn the speakers off, Class D power. Plug the 175 in next and see what we can hear.

Here’s a link

Mesa Boogie Rosette 300 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amplifier | MESA/Boogie(R)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sweet looking amp! And it sounds like you got a win/win deal. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

Oh goodness! The 175 sounds superb. In the amp manual it says that electric guitar pickups may not sound right but on the Mesa site there are demos with those Heritage 175ish looking guitars and Strats and mine sound great. Once I remembered to defeat the tweeter. For the acoustic I like the tweeter in the -6db position. There is also a flat selection. So clean! For days. 300watt Class D.

This amp appears to occupy the same space as the AER Compact 60. Maybe even that Bud with the mic input?

With this and the ToneMaster Twin the Katana is now pointless. Time to move it on. Maybe even the Peavey Classic 30.

I like the 175 through the Twin, duh, but the Mesa gives me the other iconic 175 sound of clean clean clean hear the guitar.

I know acoustic amps are doing harmonic adjustments and aren’t just bump it up pass it through clean but that’s the feel.

User Info Menu

i took a long look at them when I was in the market. Eventually went in a different direction, but I was very impressed with the demos and the feature set, the eq most of all.

I hope it serves you well. Wouldn't mind a sound or two

User Info Menu

Ted, best of luck with your Mesa.
    It looks like a great amp. The Mesa brand is something to be proud of.
    I had a Mesa Boogie years ago that I LOVED. It was stolen out of our van in the parking lot at the Cotton Club in Harlem.
    I’d like to try one of them one day. Happy new amp day!
    JD

Really enjoying this amp. Mesa hired the engineer/designer away from Genz and his work on the Genz Line Array amps. I can’t get over how easy it is to get that Taylor piezoelectric to sound like an acoustic guitar. Start playing finger style with the guitar volume off. Bring up the volume and the guitar sounds... bigger. Not different, just louder. It even picks up my weak picking pinky.

The engineer is active on The Acoustic Guitar Forum and finding his previous tips and insights posts was very rewarding.

It is my belief that Mesa, located in Petaluma up by Napa, very much used their Southern Cali neighbor, Taylor, to design the pre amp. They’re made for each other.

Still liking the 175 through the Mesa. It is obvious when I forget to turn off the tweeter though. Has me panicking with the EQ until I remember.

User Info Menu

MESA/Boogie Rosette 300 / Two:Eight Acoustic Combo - Custom | Reverb

......Man oh man - -every time I see a MB with that wicker grill and a custom wood cab - - - -

Those fancy woods and grills double or even triple the price. Mine is a cream Tolex with brown grill. Even this plain Jane is a looker though. I understand Mesa has Private Reserve woods ala PRS if one needed to match one’s yacht.

User Info Menu

I wonder how well the Mesa Rosette preamp pedal works with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage or Milkman The Amp.

User Info Menu

I was very interested in one of these, but the the price turned me off, went with the Genzler Pro, couldn't be happier. And I like the exf layout better. My Eastman and my nylon sound glorious through it. In fact, I'm going to buy the smaller/lighter 8" version to see if it can fit the bill.

But I'm sure the Mesa is awesome. And it also LOOKS great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I wonder how well the Mesa Rosette preamp pedal works with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage or Milkman The Amp.
    At first I’d say it wants an FRFR but the new version of the combo is a 1x10 rather than the 2x8+tweeter in mine. People say it’s “warmer” and “smoother”. Bet it would sound good in either.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Mesa!

Randy Smith's Mesa Engineering is one of the original boutique amp companies and IMO, one of the best. I have a vintage Mesa in my arsenal and have owned two others in the past. Stellar service and products have been my experience with Mesa.

Interestingly, a bass player that I have done many gigs with is a close friend of Randy's and has informed me that Randy is a jazz guitarist first and foremost.

It sounds like you have scored a winner that has exceeded expectations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    At first I’d say it wants an FRFR but the new version of the combo is a 1x10 rather than the 2x8+tweeter in mine. People say it’s “warmer” and “smoother”. Bet it would sound good in either.
    Ted, this thread has me thinking about replacing my AER Compact 60 with a 1-10 Mesa Rosette up the road. The AER is 18 pounds (mine is a series 2, I understand the series 3 were 14 pounds and the new series are 15 pounds). The Mesa is 28 pounds but would be a 10 inch speaker rather than an 8 inch speaker. And the Mesa would have a defeatable tweeter which the AER does not. And with the slightly bigger cabinet, I presume the Mesa would sound less boxy. I have also been thinking about the Henriksen Bud 10 to replace the AER.

Food for thought.

User Info Menu

If one doesn't need a lot of headroom, the pint-sized 2-EL84 powered 1x10" Mesa Mark V 25 combo weighs in at 24lbs!
    The 2-6V6 powered 1X12" Fillmore 25 combo is a relatively weighty 35lbs! Either will provide great lower volume jazz tones!

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Ted, this thread has me thinking about replacing my AER Compact 60 with a 1-10 Mesa Rosette up the road. The AER is 18 pounds (mine is a series 2, I understand the series 3 were 14 pounds and the new series are 15 pounds). The Mesa is 28 pounds but would be a 10 inch speaker rather than an 8 inch speaker. And the Mesa would have a defeatable tweeter which the AER does not. And with the slightly bigger cabinet, I presume the Mesa would sound less boxy. I have also been thinking about the Henriksen Bud 10 to replace the AER.

Food for thought.
    The 1x10 doesn’t have the tweeter. The 2x8 weighs 30lbs made of marine quality birch. Wonder if the other cabinet woods weigh more? Seen them from 800 to 1500 for the base model.

User Info Menu

The 1x10 doesn’t have the tweeter. The 2x8 weighs 30lbs made of marine quality birch. Wonder if the other cabinet woods weigh more? Seen them from 800 to 1500 for the base model.
    Mesa's website shows the tweeter on the 1x10 model:

Mesa Boogie Rosette 300 Acoustic Guitar Amplifier 1x10 Combo Specifications | MESA/Boogie(R)

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Bonus!
    And I can see the switch to set the tweeter at -6db, OFF, flat. Plus the 1x10 lists a couple hundred cheaper. It’s what I’d have if I hadn’t stumbled into this deal.

User Info Menu

Man, there are enough jacks and knobs and controls there to launch that sucker to Mars!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Man, there are enough jacks and knobs and controls there to launch that sucker to Mars!
    And lots of little switches! Thickest amp manual I’ve ever seen but extremely well written with Start Here examples. Once you get your sound it’s set and forget. Two channels so the 175 gets one and the flattop the other.

User Info Menu

Been thinking about amplifying the Taylor. In general I haven’t been thrilled with the ES2 pickup. Started researching DI/acoustic pres and came across the Mesa Rosette. On line demos sounded good enough to track down a local dealer and try one. Sounded very nice through an FRFR power amp the dealer had setup. Sounded even better through the 2x8 combo version. Display model, 1/3 off. Cheaper than Reverb used by a couple hundred and I get the warranty. Sold! Small Mom and Pop seemed very happy for the sale. This was by far the most high end item in this shop that caters to beginners.

Comes with a big manual. Lots of lights, knob, and switches. But I had that guitar sounding great in about 2 minutes of tweaking. 2 channels, 1 with XLR for a mic. Reverb, chorus. Three record outs, 1 for each channel and a blended? Headphone out. Turn the speakers off, Class D power. Plug the 175 in next and see what we can hear.

Here’s a link

Mesa Boogie Rosette 300 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amplifier | MESA/Boogie(R)
    Man, congrats! This stuff is so epic.
    I envy you (but in a good way, ha-ha)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    If one doesn't need a lot of headroom, the pint-sized 2-EL84 powered 1x10" Mesa Mark V 25 combo weighs in at 24lbs!
    The 2-6V6 powered 1X12" Fillmore 25 combo is a relatively weighty 35lbs! Either will provide great lower volume jazz tones!

I have a MkV25 head. I run my ES2 equipped Taylor 312CE into the return side of the FX loop and it sounds really good. No preamp distortion from the Mesa. It has plenty of volume unless you are trying to fill up a live club with only the amp. Of course, none of the MkV25s extensive EQ shaping tools work. I also have a Baggs Para DI if I need further EQ. Either combo would do the same. Not a perfect acoustic amp but if you already have one, give it a try. I also really like the Fishman Loudbox Artists for dedicated acoustic amp.

User Info Menu

Hi,

I bought the mesa boogie rosette twoo eight. My idea was to use it foor a jazz sound with a archtop guitar (sound of the es175 in the video with Mimi Fox).

Wich EQ settings do you use in this context ? I have to say that I don't good understand the concept op the semi parametric mids and how to use it.

Thank's a lot.

Sorry for the poor english, not my mother language.

Have a good day.

Pascal

With my 175 into the Mesa I have to be careful with the gain control. The guitar volume knob stays below 80%. Neck pickup only.

Make sure the effects send is at zero so the reverb doesn’t effect what you hear while setting the EQ.

Turn the tweeter off, back panel switch to center. For those two semi-parametric mids you’re looking for frequencies to cut. So start with bass and treble at straight up, noon. Set the four mids also to noon. Now take the low mid level and turn it up to 75%, 3 o’clock. Now as you strum turn the frequency knob for the low mids from low to high and listen for a sudden jump in volume. That’s a bad spot. Lower the level knob down to nine or 10. Leave the freq knob set. Now do the same for the high mid control. Bump the vol, sweep the freqs, find the loud point, drop the level there, set and forget.

For the 175 I usually drop the main bass and treble levels to a little less than noon.

If you have feedback try the phase switch or use the bass low cut control or maybe both.

Takes awhile to dial in but once you have it you’re done.
    Last edited by TedBPhx; 04-12-2021 at 03:20 PM.