The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    True that. No worries. Plenty of good plinkers around!!!!! Thunkers only would be boring anyway.
    DB
    Gotta say it, DB, you've become one of the best contributors we got on this forum.
    Always nice to everyone. A lot to share and you absolutely BRING IT with your playing.
    You talk the talk AND walk the walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDeville
    OK. I am using the .13 TI Be-bop sets which are round wounds, great acoustic sound but probably a little harder to play than the flat wounds.
    The other ones I will try next is the be-bop .12 - .50, which has a plain 3rd.
    Thanks for answering,
    PD
    PD, You got it.
    I am marginally disappointed with the wound G on my set. The open G string sounds muffled for some reason.
    But all in all, Jazz Swings are my favorite Strings ever. I hope they NEVER change or go away. I'd be screwed!

JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

.13 Bebops are perfect especially for fingerstyle. That’s just the perfect string especially if you don’t mind a little string noise.

User Info Menu

For some archtops I go with TI Jazz Swings--either 12 or 13 gauge sets. However, for 17" carved body archtops, I like to use the TI Bebops (13) that 2beornot2bop recommends above. They are a superb set of strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I am marginally disappointed with the wound G on my set. The open G string sounds muffled for some reason.But all in all, Jazz Swings are my favorite Strings ever.
    could be that prior owner only used unwound g...so now wound G is binding a bit in nut slot or bridge saddle slot...give it time...or do a little microscopic sanding...or lay the tiniest amount of graphite in g slots

bet you it comes to llife!

cheers

User Info Menu

You know, it really has been an interesting couple of years.
    I wont bore you again with details. But my family has been through tough financial times. We are working hard and we are making it through.
    There are a bunch of people I want to thank.
    Most of all, my wife. How this beautiful human being puts up with my shit is beyond my comprehension.
    My Son. He has done without alot of the time, and never made a peep. The greatest son a father and mother can ask for.
    Vinny. Yes. Vinny. A couple of years ago, when Gibson was liquidating, and everybody was getting great deals on guitars, He couldnt stand to watch me not be able to take advantage of the deals and he bought me a 175. Who does something like that? And when there was a way out for me, he graciously allowed me to sell that Gift, to help out my family. Vin, No matter what, I'll always have a place for you in my heart. You will always be my bro.
    Big Mike. Where ever you are, I wish you well. Mike lent me guitars (and shipped them on his dime) to play until I can get myself out of my own personal hell. Big Mike has a big heart. Thank you Mikey.
    To all the folks who wished me well during the tough times, I appreciate you all. To all the beautiful people who bought my stuff when I had to sell it all, you know who you are. You all got nice stuff, But you helped me out, so Thank You.
    This music thing we all do is a privilege. Built into that privilege, is the blessing its been to meet you all and get to know A LOT of you. I've developed some very strong personal relationships with a lot of you that will last forever. Sometimes, I don't know what I do without you.
    From my heart.
    Thanks. Joe D
    Joe you're a gem in my life and I know many others feel the same. Glad you're on the other side of your previous troubles. We're all blessed to share the joy of this privilege together. Looking forward to more videos!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    could be that prior owner only used unwound g...so now wound G is binding a bit in nut slot or bridge saddle slot...give it time...or do a little microscopic sanding...or lay the tiniest amount of graphite in g slots

bet you it comes to llife!

cheers
    What he said! Just make sure you find a pencil with actual graphite in it. It should say graphite on it, most pencils now don't actually have graphite so I've been told. That's an easy fix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    Joe you're a gem in my life and I know many others feel the same. Glad you're on the other side of your previous troubles. We're all blessed to share the joy of this privilege together. Looking forward to more videos!!
    Doug, you are a real good friend. One of the best people I’ve met. And an extraordinary talent.
    Thank you brother.
    JD

User Info Menu

You know, it really has been an interesting couple of years.
    I wont bore you again with details. But my family has been through tough financial times. We are working hard and we are making it through.
    There are a bunch of people I want to thank.
    Most of all, my wife. How this beautiful human being puts up with my shit is beyond my comprehension.
    My Son. He has done without alot of the time, and never made a peep. The greatest son a father and mother can ask for.
    Vinny. Yes. Vinny. A couple of years ago, when Gibson was liquidating, and everybody was getting great deals on guitars, He couldnt stand to watch me not be able to take advantage of the deals and he bought me a 175. Who does something like that? And when there was a way out for me, he graciously allowed me to sell that Gift, to help out my family. Vin, No matter what, I'll always have a place for you in my heart. You will always be my bro.
    Big Mike. Where ever you are, I wish you well. Mike lent me guitars (and shipped them on his dime) to play until I can get myself out of my own personal hell. Big Mike has a big heart. Thank you Mikey.
    To all the folks who wished me well during the tough times, I appreciate you all. To all the beautiful people who bought my stuff when I had to sell it all, you know who you are. You all got nice stuff, But you helped me out, so Thank You.
    This music thing we all do is a privilege. Built into that privilege, is the blessing its been to meet you all and get to know A LOT of you. I've developed some very strong personal relationships with a lot of you that will last forever. Sometimes, I don't know what I do without you.
    From my heart.
    Thanks. Joe D
    As the recipient of two of your guitars, one of which I also had to sell during a time of financial pressure, I celebrate your emergence from the dark times you were enduring. You bore up under it with grace and good humor. Real class, man. No doubt about it. You almost make me wish I were Italian.

So happy for your WesMo and to hear you play it is to hear something that just needed to be, and is all the more lovely now for happening in these cloudy days of isolation, sickness, and worry.

Keep the peace, friend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    As the recipient of two of your guitars, one of which I also had to sell during a time of financial pressure, I celebrate your emergence from the dark times you were enduring. You bore up under it with grace and good humor. Real class, man. No doubt about it. You almost make me wish I were Italian.
    So happy for your WesMo and to hear you play it is to hear something that just needed to be, and is all the more lovely now for happening in these cloudy days of isolation, sickness, and worry.
    Keep the peace, friend.
    Thank You Lawson.
    This is easy compared to what a lot of great folks are going through in the crazy world right now. But, if you have the heart, you persevere. Regarding the "Italian" thing, Hammertone will probably say it has nothing to do with being Italian.. But we are a passionate bunch. Wearing our hearts on our sleeves we just get through it.
    One thing is for certain, buying a Gibson is like having money in the bank (except of course, when you buy one with undisclosed flaws and modifications..). Believe me, that's not why I wont own anything other than a Gibson. But its a feature built into these great guitars that I hope never goes away. They are good investments. Especially under the $6000 threshold (thanks QA).
    Thanks Lawson, I hope things are going in the right direction for you.
    JD

User Info Menu

....Believe me, that's not why I wont own anything other than a Gibson. ...
    Ha! I predict you will own a Campellone. Same for the nutty professor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Ha! I predict you will own a Campellone. Same for the nutty professor.
    This nutty professor is also pondering the merits of a Tal, or of some archtop with a P90...

User Info Menu

As the days go by, I realize, rather than trying make this one look like new, I should take everyone’s advice (for once in my life) and just leave it as is.
    It’s a well played guitar for good reason. Just leave it alone. And play it.
    I still would like to get another one.
    3 pre-requisites.. A floater. In better shape. And no doubt, a Gibson.
    Thank you everyone.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

As the days go by, I realize, rather than trying make this one look like new, I should take everyone’s advice (for once in my life) and just leave it as is.
    It’s a well played guitar for good reason. Just leave it alone. And play it.
    I still would like to get another one.
    3 pre-requisites.. A floater. In better shape. And no doubt, a Gibson.
    Thank you everyone.
    Joe D
    character Joe, battle scars and wear give a guitar character!
    think of an old baseball glove or a nice pair of broken in leather shoes.
    guitars w/ playing wear often sound better too as they were actually played and loved