The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Joe, the video is just exquisite - your tone and touch are perfect. The WesMo is a perfect fit for you. Glad for you that you finally found the right one. Congratulations, and may good health and good playing be yours!
    Thank you C74. This guitar would be perfect for ANYBODY! Thank you buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Man, those vid's we old guys get to see now. Back in the day we had to be content with seeing WM as a guest on a talk show - once on Mike Douglas, and once on the Herb Alpert Show, maybe playing ' Windy ' both times. Were there any other appearances ?
    I had absolutely resigned myself to the fact I'd never see Howard Roberts or Johnny Smith play - ever. And i didn't see them 'til 40 years later.
    Let's all count our blessings !!
    So true Dennis. So true.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well well well, finally the day has comed!
    First of all congratulations!!! The L-5 wesmo is the most beautiful guitar in the world! I swear for a Gibson made 1 3/4 nut width one!!!! My god. Also more abalon shitty inlay will satify my cheessy taste. Haha.
    Beside the music interpretation which is very good i can tell you somethings that i researched by playing many L-5 from many eras during my stays in japan. Also from your recording.

1) probably the original Wes guitar had a lighter weight and a thinner top, so his sound is less fat, even when he plays with his thumb. Thats my experience with playing with a Mr.Wu amazing L-5 copy. You sound fatter than wes playing with the pick, this is not a matter of equalization. Probably the pickups are underwounded too.
    2) if i were going to play this style of arrange probably i would lower the bass side of the pickup. I believe that in your recording bass are very heavy and this is a matter of equalization (i hear an strong low cut on Wes recording) And also the low notes lower in volume.
    3) the sound you achieved is very straight and beautiful and sweet. If would wish to fatten it i would rise 3db - 6db around 350hz with a wide a Q. That, and the low cut will take you to a polytonish sound (which many people doesnt like, but i do)
    4) where did you put the tone knob? The high cut is perfect.
    5) i want more saturation!!!!!!! Just a little tape saturation.
    6) Congratulations again.
    7) Gibson people is wise... The guitar is heavy but thats the key to fatness. And L-5 is the fatness itself.
    8) i see that the one pickup version is being demanded more than the two pickups one.
    9) the first time i played a Wesmo i thought that it was bright. After warm in and getting in tune with it I understood that this brightness can be lowered using the tone knob.
    10) What is the best thing about a Wesmo?? No one will agree, but to me is the Dynamic Range, the liveness of it, she screams when you push her and she can be stupidly soft sometimes.
    11) i am very happy for you.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Joey, my buddy.

I'm so happy for you. Great guitar and wonderful sound in your hands.

Be safe and take care my friend.

User Info Menu

Joe:
    Congratulations on the Wes! The perfect jazz guitar. And, beautiful playing, as always.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I'm late to the party with grandchildren here at home all week, but Joe, Joe, JOE--YOU GOT IT. You and the L5 have been too long separated. That guitar and you are a perfect match. It already sounds like you. Beautiful playing, doing justice to a beautiful guitar, and more importantly, a guitar that can do justice to you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Well well well, finally the day has comed!
    First of all congratulations!!! The L-5 wesmo is the most beautiful guitar in the world! I swear for a Gibson made 1 3/4 nut width one!!!! My god. Also more abalon shitty inlay will satify my cheessy taste. Haha.
    Beside the music interpretation which is very good i can tell you somethings that i researched by playing many L-5 from many eras during my stays in japan. Also from your recording.

1) probably the original Wes guitar had a lighter weight and a thinner top, so his sound is less fat, even when he plays with his thumb. Thats my experience with playing with a Mr.Wu amazing L-5 copy. You sound fatter than wes playing with the pick, this is not a matter of equalization. Probably the pickups are underwounded too.
    2) if i were going to play this style of arrange probably i would lower the bass side of the pickup. I believe that in your recording bass are very heavy and this is a matter of equalization (i hear an strong low cut on Wes recording) And also the low notes lower in volume.
    3) the sound you achieved is very straight and beautiful and sweet. If would wish to fatten it i would rise 3db - 6db around 350hz with a wide a Q. That, and the low cut will take you to a polytonish sound (which many people doesnt like, but i do)
    4) where did you put the tone knob? The high cut is perfect.
    5) i want more saturation!!!!!!! Just a little tape saturation.
    6) Congratulations again.
    7) Gibson people is wise... The guitar is heavy but thats the key to fatness. And L-5 is the fatness itself.
    8) i see that the one pickup version is being demanded more than the two pickups one.
    9) the first time i played a Wesmo i thought that it was bright. After warm in and getting in tune with it I understood that this brightness can be lowered using the tone knob.
    10) What is the best thing about a Wesmo?? No one will agree, but to me is the Dynamic Range, the liveness of it, she screams when you push her and she can be stupidly soft sometimes.
    11) i am very happy for you.
    Thank You Gustavo.
    I agree with you about this Guitar. It is Symetrically perfect. It sounds to me like you would really appreciate a Gibson Johnny Smith! You basically just spec'd one out.
    Not Sure about the lighter weight/thinner top on Wes's L5. I am amazed that he controlled the feedback so well. His amp is far enough away. His athletic build blocked much of the sound coming back to him.
    I did lower the Bass side of the pickup a lot. I kinda like the sound the way it is now. I need to play it correctly now. I will dial in my touch a little better.
    The tone knob was a 9. I like it there.
    I can do Saturation. But in due time. I have about 20 more years of playing left. I will give it a try in the later half..
    Everything you say about the Wes is true. It really is a GREAT Instrument.
    Thanks Gustavo.
    JD
    Last edited by Max405; 08-10-2020 at 09:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Joey, my buddy.
    I'm so happy for you. Great guitar and wonderful sound in your hands.
    Be safe and take care my friend.
    Fred! How are you my good man? I think I am set with this guitar. I love everything about it. Knowing its there. Seeing everyday. the way it plays. And I look forward to the way it stays stable from season to season. Just a perfectly made guitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Joe:
    Congratulations on the Wes! The perfect jazz guitar. And, beautiful playing, as always.
    Keith
    Hi Keith, Thank you buddy. I am impressed with the James Hutchins build. It seems like under his watch, the wood was dry enough to carve a long lasting, stable guitar. The top has absolutely NO grain suck. None. Anywhere. And there is (was) a very fair amount of Nitro Cellulose Lacquer on the surface. This guitar came to me with a good amount of play wear on it. But I was able to level the Clear down to the lowest part of the scratches. Now, it looks like a new guitar. Beautifully shiney with a Large amount of clear still remaining. This guitar has great bones. No Checking anywhere. Even the heel seem in the cutaway has not separated. The neck is completely smooth. No grain shrinkage in the walnut stripes. This guitar was made right. I will keep it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm late to the party with grandchildren here at home all week, but Joe, Joe, JOE--YOU GOT IT. You and the L5 have been too long separated. That guitar and you are a perfect match. It already sounds like you. Beautiful playing, doing justice to a beautiful guitar, and more importantly, a guitar that can do justice to you!
    Thank you Lawson. I appreciate it buddy. It didnt take long to get use to the guitar. I was familiar with it, and I just put my fingers down and plucked and the guitar does the rest. These guitars are legendary for not getting in the way. I am so proud to have it . And fortunate to be able to own one again. Not a single amount of dissapointment. None whatsoever.

User Info Menu

Joe,

Congratulations buddy! I can finally relax too, now that you've found a very special L5 of your own! The lusting after my L5P didn't go unnoticed. And I completely understand that feeling. I had it when QA was selling his, and I hesitated, too long, and she disappeared with someone else. The L5's are special. And what you say about Wes, and his manner with other people, is so revealing about his music. It's so genuine! Straight from the heart. Your playing has that component. It's one of the things I like. Thanks for sharing, and keep it up. It's refreshing, good inspiration, and nice counterpoint to our chaotic world.

Peace,

Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Joe,
    Congratulations buddy! I can finally relax too, now that you've found a very special L5 of your own! The lusting after my L5P didn't go unnoticed. And I completely understand that feeling. I had it when QA was selling his, and I hesitated, too long, and she disappeared with someone else. The L5's are special. And what you say about Wes, and his manner with other people, is so revealing about his music. It's so genuine! Straight from the heart. Your playing has that component. It's one of the things I like. Thanks for sharing, and keep it up. It's refreshing, good inspiration, and nice counterpoint to our chaotic world.
    Peace,
    Steve
    Its Funny you mention and your L5P and QAman.
    I've been thinking about this a lot since I got my L5. I am not sure I will want to play any other guitar after buying this one. I've always like my necks to be somewhat similar. So right now (and that can change tomorrow..) my long term plan is to keep my 165, acquire an L5P, or a LeGrand. I think that would cap off my perfect lineup. My centerpiece will always be this L5 Wes though.
    I've done some really stupid things with cycling in and out guitars over the past couple of years. But at least now, my ideas make sense.
    I am so unbelievably satisfied with having this L5 Wes Montgomery. Fortunate.
    Thank You Steve.
    JD

User Info Menu

JD,

That's a perfect match, buddy. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Look casually at the forum this evening. "Hey, a new guitar day. Somebody got a WesMo....

WHAAAAT?!?!?!

JOE GOT A FREAKING WESMO!" Conclude with a couple of vicarious hoots and hollers.

Congratulations, bro! Especially after the last couple years you earned this. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

And post some more videos!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Its Funny you mention and your L5P and QAman.
    I've been thinking about this a lot since I got my L5. I am not sure I will want to play any other guitar after buying this one. I've always like my necks to be somewhat similar. So right now (and that can change tomorrow..) my long term plan is to keep my 165, acquire an L5P, or a LeGrand. I think that would cap off my perfect lineup. My centerpiece will always be this L5 Wes though.
    I've done some really stupid things with cycling in and out guitars over the past couple of years. But at least now, my ideas make sense.
    I am so unbelievably satisfied with having this L5 Wes Montgomery. Fortunate.
    Thank You Steve.
    JD
    Happy NGD!

And already plotting for a LeGrand, eh? You might change your mind about the Wes after you geeeeeeet one...

But seriously, enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    JD,
    That's a perfect match, buddy. Enjoy.
    GT, Thank you so much. That guitar is my partner now. Last night I was working out a new arrangement for Here's That Rainy Day. The guitar allows me to do things I could not do on other guitars. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Look casually at the forum this evening. "Hey, a new guitar day. Somebody got a WesMo....
    WHAAAAT?!?!?!
    JOE GOT A FREAKING WESMO!" Conclude with a couple of vicarious hoots and hollers.
    Congratulations, bro! Especially after the last couple years you earned this. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
    And post some more videos!
    You know, this really is a great place. And you are one of the outstanding people who make it that way. Its the greatest place on the internet thanks to people like you and many others!
    Thanks Buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Happy NGD!
    And already plotting for a LeGrand, eh? You might change your mind about the Wes after you geeeeeeet one...
    But seriously, enjoy.
    Thank You GTR man. I've never played a LeGrand. In all honesty, If an L5P pops up when the time comes, I will be all over that.
    Even a Gibson Johnny Smith like the one I had. I will only want 2 or 3 guitars. But Guitars I will play regularly.
    I'm set.
    JD

User Info Menu

You know, it really has been an interesting couple of years.
    I wont bore you again with details. But my family has been through tough financial times. We are working hard and we are making it through.
    There are a bunch of people I want to thank.
    Most of all, my wife. How this beautiful human being puts up with my shit is beyond my comprehension.
    My Son. He has done without alot of the time, and never made a peep. The greatest son a father and mother can ask for.
    Vinny. Yes. Vinny. A couple of years ago, when Gibson was liquidating, and everybody was getting great deals on guitars, He couldnt stand to watch me not be able to take advantage of the deals and he bought me a 175. Who does something like that? And when there was a way out for me, he graciously allowed me to sell that Gift, to help out my family. Vin, No matter what, I'll always have a place for you in my heart. You will always be my bro.
    Big Mike. Where ever you are, I wish you well. Mike lent me guitars (and shipped them on his dime) to play until I can get myself out of my own personal hell. Big Mike has a big heart. Thank you Mikey.
    To all the folks who wished me well during the tough times, I appreciate you all. To all the beautiful people who bought my stuff when I had to sell it all, you know who you are. You all got nice stuff, But you helped me out, so Thank You.
    This music thing we all do is a privilege. Built into that privilege, is the blessing its been to meet you all and get to know A LOT of you. I've developed some very strong personal relationships with a lot of you that will last forever. Sometimes, I don't know what I do without you.
    From my heart.
    Thanks. Joe D

User Info Menu

Now that, that was some good news. During the time of Covid, JD comes through with the goods.

And a beautiful sunburst too! Congratulations Joe, and great playing too! Hey, was it my eyes or was there a kiss on the rim during the last 5 seconds? Cute, real cute! Honey has come home to stay!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Now that, that was some good news. During the time of Covid, JD comes through with the goods.

And a beautiful sunburst too! Congratulations Joe, and great playing too! Hey, was it my eyes or was there a kiss on the rim during the last 5 seconds? Cute, real cute! Honey has come home to stay!
    Yeah, I gave her a little peck.. She's my girl now. The only one I am allowed to have an affair with..
    Thanks 2B. I appreciate it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Here are some pictures.
    2005 Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery-c7c615aa-7787-482a-947e-37d5e7e3620f-jpg2005 Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery-f36ff499-22b5-4c86-a7fe-3dcb668cde81-jpg2005 Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery-8060c99a-e4e9-4124-b140-c6e2a1569cd1-jpg2005 Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery-f7313699-ac43-482d-8dd4-59487337672c-jpg2005 Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery-8f55e3db-a334-4930-b498-f715c72074f3-jpg

User Info Menu

Man, that rascal just glows! That is a beautimous guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Man, that rascal just glows! That is a beautimous guitar!
    It really is purdy isnt it?. All L5 Wes Montgomery's are. Just like Wes was.
    I am learning a new version of Here's That Rainy Day. It models the Doc Severenson/Tommy Newsome version that they played on the Tonight Show a week after Johnny Carson passed away. They played the song for him, because it was his favorite song. The arrangement is Tony Mottola's version. The significance is, Johnny learned to play guitar (this song in particular) from Tony Mottola. Tonys version is BEAUTIFUL. The reason I say this, is a pretty fair amount of the song is waaay up in the higher register. Between 6th and 14th fret. Some beautiful chords up there. This Guitar, has PERFECT intonation and the higher register fretting feels NO DIFFERENT than if I was playing on the 4th-7th frets. Its actually remarkable. This is easily the best guitar I've ever owned or played. You feel the quality.
    The Original. The Benchmark in my opinion.
    Thanks C.

User Info Menu

Nice playing as always and it surely sounds like a classic jazz guitar in your video.

Do you use TI .12 - .52 for this guitar? I have been playing a set of .13 - .53 and they sound good but are a little stiff.

Anyway, glad you found your L5!
    PD

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new guitar Max. The Wes was inevitable. Nice playing.

But .... how are you in the Thunk department? You need DA THUNK too man! Even if it's just on the side

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PDeville
    Nice playing as always and it surely sounds like a classic jazz guitar in your video.
    Do you use TI .12 - .52 for this guitar? I have been playing a set of .13 - .53 and they sound good but are a little stiff.
    Anyway, glad you found your L5!
    PD
    HI, Thanks. I put a TI Jazz Swing 13's set on this Guitar but I only had a 12 and a 16 for the E & B and I put those on. I change them out because I dont like the TI E and B strings.

JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Congrats on the new guitar Max. The Wes was inevitable. Nice playing.
    But .... how are you in the Thunk department? You need DA THUNK too man! Even if it's just on the side
    DB
    DB!
    Thanks my good man. I love this guitar!
    Thunk? Even if I had the thunkiest guitar on the planet, I dont think my sissy-ass picking stroke will bring it out.
    I have a 165 with a floater. And for now I have a Gibson Solid Formed. Neither of them thunk very well in my hands. Even my 175's or Tal didn't thunk that much. Thunk is in the hands (I think). My hands "plink"..
    Thanks DB.
    JD

User Info Menu

DB!
    Thanks my good man. I love this guitar!
    Thunk? Even if I had the thunkiest guitar on the planet, I dont think my sissy-ass picking stroke will bring it out.
    I have a 165 with a floater. And for now I have a Gibson Solid Formed. Neither of them thunk very well in my hands. Even my 175's or Tal didn't thunk that much. Thunk is in the hands (I think). My hands "plink"..
    Thanks DB.
    JD
    True that. No worries. Plenty of good plinkers around!!!!! Thunkers only would be boring anyway.

DB

User Info Menu

HI, Thanks. I put a TI Jazz Swing 13's set on this Guitar but I only had a 12 and a 16 for the E & B and I put those on. I change them out because I dont like the TI E and B strings.

JD
    OK. I am using the .13 TI Be-bop sets which are round wounds, great acoustic sound but probably a little harder to play than the flat wounds.
    The other ones I will try next is the be-bop .12 - .50, which has a plain 3rd.

Thanks for answering,
    PD