The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 63

User Info Menu

After a long wait, I finally got my L5!
    So many times, the hunt is better than the capture. I was afraid that might happen. Well, Fortunately, It did not. This Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery is everything I could have hoped for. It melted right into my hands and immediately became exactly the guitar I've been waiting for. I've owned 2 of these in my life and this one will stay with me till the end. I love everything about it. The vault like build quality. The exceptional materials. The perfect carve. The incredible finish. The neck profile that was originally designed for God (well, maybe not, but its pretty nice).
    I decided to play a little Tribute to Wes Montgomery with the guitar Gibson built for him in the early 60's. For me and many others, this Guitar is the benchmark. Not enough positive things can be said about this guitar.
    Finally I got one. And, I look forward exploring its many capabilities. I hope to someday do it justice. In the mean-time, it will be my partner.
    Thanks for looking. I hope you like my video.

Joe DeNisco

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You seem the perfect match for it, Joe. Just don't let this one go! Gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Joe! That is a beautiful instrument. I’m so happy for you! And, your tribute to Wes is absolutely the perfect way to share your NGD with us. Thanks for sharing the music and the moment with us!

All the best, buddy!

User Info Menu

The L5 is the best guitar I never owned. IMHO the 17" L5 is one of the most beautiful guitars ever designed. Everything clicks in place - shape, dimensions, proportions, ornamentation. And then the wonderful sound. But, as you have shown many times before, Joe, you make anything sound wonderful like you do here.

User Info Menu

Max405,
    It’s a real beauty for sure and nothing compares to that L5 tone. Glad your enjoying this Hutch period instrument. For your style of playing it doesn’t get much better.

Wishing you endless hours of enjoyment.

User Info Menu

Joe gets a woody! Joe gets a woody! Schwing!

Congrats, Joe. The L5WM deserves you.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Joe , on your NGD it's been a long wait but worth it, a J Hutchins
    built, no less so i believe, I must say how good it looks and sounds in the video..
    As one of our friends here often quotes ," play it in good health" ad infinitum.

Best regards 007

User Info Menu

hey, some good news...leave it to you Joe D!! so happy for you

beautifully played...hope to see many more vids with that beauty...anxious to see you bring out the best of it! and it, the best in you

great song selection as well..a fave!

congrats and enjoy my friend

cheers

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Joe. You make that Wes sound beautiful. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Nice, Joe! Beautiful playing and the guitar is a stunner. You certainly have found that Wes tone.

User Info Menu

May she inspire your playing (and those of watching here on JGF) for many years to come!

What a beauty! (The L-5 that is )

User Info Menu

Good for you Joe ! As always, your playing does the instruments justice ! That WesMo's in good hands !

Congrats !

Dennis

User Info Menu

Yeah!! Well what can you say except that is THE tone! I know the guitar helps but tone is in the hands too, which only means you and this guitar are the perfect combination. Looking forwards to more videos over time.

Congratulations Joe!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    You seem the perfect match for it, Joe. Just don't let this one go! Gorgeous.
    Thank you Rob. This one ain’t going anywhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Congratulations, Joe! That is a beautiful instrument. I’m so happy for you! And, your tribute to Wes is absolutely the perfect way to share your NGD with us. Thanks for sharing the music and the moment with us!
    All the best, buddy!
    Roli, prior to the weeks leading up to getting this guitar, I wasn’t much of a Wes Fan. I grew up on George Benson and I just thought GB was superior. But I decided to grow and understand my idol’s IDOL, and I’m glad I did. He did some pretty great stuff with the thumb and corn of his.. And he didn’t play to a chord progression. He was the song. And from his interviews, a very sweet man. I am a big fan now! Thanks buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    The L5 is the best guitar I never owned. IMHO the 17" L5 is one of the most beautiful guitars ever designed. Everything clicks in place - shape, dimensions, proportions, ornamentation. And then the wonderful sound. But, as you have shown many times before, Joe, you make anything sound wonderful like you do here.
    OD, I agree with you whole-heartedly sir. The L5 started it all and in my opinion, is the jazz guitar all others look up too. And thank you sir for your beautiful words.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Max405,
    It’s a real beauty for sure and nothing compares to that L5 tone. Glad your enjoying this Hutch period instrument. For your style of playing it doesn’t get much better.
    Wishing you endless hours of enjoyment.
    QA, thank you very much for your advice along the way. I think this guitar handles any style with grace. And it so easy to play. Like a roller piano. Just sit and watch it do it’s thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Joe gets a woody! Joe gets a woody! Schwing!
    Congrats, Joe. The L5WM deserves you.
    Jabs, thank you kindly. Owning this guitar is a privilege. It’s been a while. I’m gonna enjoy this for many, many years to come. This IS THE ONE. Thanks buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Congratulations Joe , on your NGD it's been a long wait but worth it, a J Hutchins
    built, no less so i believe, I must say how good it looks and sounds in the video..
    As one of our friends here often quotes ," play it in good health" ad infinitum.
    Best regards 007
    Thanks Foxman, 007, brother.. any of your nicknames apply.
    Your friendship offline is VERY special to me. A gentleman of the highest order. Thanks for the well wishes. Thanks for being my pal.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe,

I am going to call you out on this one. I think all the Johnny Smith stuff you have recorded in the past and now you pull this Wesmo L5 out? What is going on and I just now can hear a bit of discussion going on in the big Guitar Player Heaven.

Johnny Smith is say to Wes............damn that Joe sounds good on your guitar, I never was a jazz guitarist you know.

Wes is saying.............Johnny you are the musician and reading, playing all those wild things that get you all the studio work?...........Joe has picked up one of my guitars I am flattered he even thinks of me.

They both agree though............sounds great he plays the daylights of the guitar........................

I agree too!

User Info Menu

Well, this made my day.

Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hey, some good news...leave it to you Joe D!! so happy for you
    beautifully played...hope to see many more vids with that beauty...anxious to see you bring out the best of it! and it, the best in you
    great song selection as well..a fave!
    congrats and enjoy my friend

cheers
    Neatomic, the forum wouldn’t be the same without sir. Thanks for putting up with my ups and downs. This is as “up” as I will get. And as always the pleasure is 100% all mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Congratulations, Joe. You make that Wes sound beautiful. Enjoy!
    DAQ, thanks for your involvement in this one. I saw pics of the guitar that replaced this one. It’s beautiful. Everybody is happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Nice, Joe! Beautiful playing and the guitar is a stunner. You certainly have found that Wes tone.
    Thank you Mark. I got my baby. And I am not holding on loosely!

User Info Menu

"prior to the weeks leading up to getting this guitar, I wasn’t much of a Wes Fan"

sacrilege! Benson is an amazing player but he ain't no Wes, no one is. Georgie'd be the first one to tell you that.
    the Thumb was the greatest modern jazz guitarist there ever was.
    glad you saw the light, enjoy the guitar Joe, it's a keeper!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405

...prior to the weeks leading up to getting this guitar, I wasn’t much of a Wes Fan. I grew up on George Benson and I just thought GB was superior. But I decided to grow and understand my idol’s IDOL, and I’m glad I did. He did some pretty great stuff with the thumb and corn of his.. And he didn’t play to a chord progression. He was the song. And from his interviews, a very sweet man. I am a big fan now!...
    right! there'd be no later benson w/o wes...wes was kind giant heartbeat thumb...he dug jimmy raney!

wes at his height!...notice the lack of string separation...unlike harp like johnny smith..big difference...keep in mind

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    May she inspire your playing (and those of watching here on JGF) for many years to come!
    What a beauty! (The L-5 that is )
    Ah come on bro, I’m not a beauty? Oh yeah that’s right.. I am not Blond, not brunette nor red-head! I guess just plain old skin des do it for you huh?
    SS, thanks for always being there. My man..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Good for you Joe ! As always, your playing does the instruments justice ! That WesMo's in good hands !
    Congrats !
    Dennis
    Thank you Dennis. I still kinda wish things were a little different. But, over time this one will be as nice as yours. Thank you Dennis. You are a good dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    Yeah!! Well what can you say except that is THE tone! I know the guitar helps but tone is in the hands too, which only means you and this guitar are the perfect combination. Looking forwards to more videos over time.
    Congratulations Joe!!
    My man.. selling Patrick’s Wes to you was ironically, one of the best things I ever did. It forged a great friendship with a GREAT person. Thanks for being my pal. I am lucky to know you bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Joe,
    I am going to call you out on this one. I think all the Johnny Smith stuff you have recorded in the past and now you pull this Wesmo L5 out? What is going on and I just now can hear a bit of discussion going on in the big Guitar Player Heaven.
    Johnny Smith is say to Wes............damn that Joe sounds good on your guitar, I never was a jazz guitarist you know.

Wes is saying.............Johnny you are the musician and reading, playing all those wild things that get you all the studio work?...........Joe has picked up one of my guitars I am flattered he even thinks of me.

They both agree though............sounds great he plays the daylights of the guitar........................

I agree too!
    And Lloyd Loar and Orville Gibson are watching this go on and they say.. “you know something, we did a good job..”
    Thank you Deacon. I hope you are well. This is a much better place with you here..
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Well, this made my day.
    Congratulations!
    You and me both Rabbit, you and me both!
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "prior to the weeks leading up to getting this guitar, I wasn’t much of a Wes Fan"
    sacrilege! Benson is an amazing player but he ain't no Wes, no one is. Georgie'd be the first one to tell you that.
    the Thumb was the greatest modern jazz guitarist there ever was.
    glad you saw the light, enjoy the guitar Joe, it's a keeper!

I was born in 1963. I didn’t know any better. What can I say..
    I still love George more.. but now, I get it. Big time.

User Info Menu

right! there'd be no later benson w/o wes...wes was kind giant heartbeat thumb...he dug jimmy raney!
    wes at his height!...notice the lack of string separation...unlike harp like johnny smith..big difference...keep in mind

cheers
    I’ve been on a steady diet of that particular video for about 3 weeks now. I love it.
    He doesn’t play along. He IS the music.
    And, thanks to him, I have a GREAT guitar.

User Info Menu

Joe, the video is just exquisite - your tone and touch are perfect. The WesMo is a perfect fit for you. Glad for you that you finally found the right one. Congratulations, and may good health and good playing be yours!

User Info Menu

cheers

Man, those vid's we old guys get to see now. Back in the day we had to be content with seeing WM as a guest on a talk show - once on Mike Douglas, and once on the Herb Alpert Show, maybe playing ' Windy ' both times. Were there any other appearances ?
    I had absolutely resigned myself to the fact I'd never see Howard Roberts or Johnny Smith play - ever. And i didn't see them 'til 40 years later.

Let's all count our blessings !!