The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looking to buy one and wondered if anybody strung theirs with flatwound 12s? They work well on my ES-339 (and oddly enough my SG!).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, perfectly. That single-piece mahogany neck may need seasonal adjustments, at least mine did. But the strings were ok. I had the PUs changed into Seymour Duncans (Jazz in neck, JB in brige), because the originals were too strong for my taste and put some hair on chords. What was gained in clarity was lost in the single-coil performance, which declined from great to bland. Wouldn't do this again, just lower the neck PU to tame the signal.

User Info Menu

Thanks, @Gitterbug. If I get one, I'll leave it stock to start with. Did the nut need re-cut for heavier strings?

User Info Menu

No it didn't. Can't remember which set of roundwounds it had; probably .10 or .12. Too much fuss about the nuts IMHO. A .12 should go in with ease. If too low, i.e. 1st string buzz, you can fix this in many ways. If too high, intonation problems in open/1st fret zone mostly. If you play jazz, you're not there all the time.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 08-09-2020 at 04:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Birelli Lagrene played .013 Flatwounds yesterday

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    No it didn't. Can't remember which set of roundwounds it had; probably .10 or .12. Too much fuss about the nuts IMHO. A .12 should go in with ease. If too low, i.e. 1st string buzz, you can fix this in many ways. If too high, intonation problems in open/1st fret zone mostly. If you play jazz, you're not there all the time.
    Apart from intonation inaccuracies in the lower part of the fretboard, a too high nut will also make fretting harder in the same part of the neck, which is spended energy with no benefits in return. I have always had my nut slots filed just right without any compromizes.

User Info Menu

The guitar will come with .10 gauge strings but will accommodate .12s just fine.