The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Has anyone heard of a luthier who builds one of these vintage instruments:

Thanks
    PD
    Attached Images Attached Images Luthiers who build a Gibson Vintage style solid body?-goldtop_1955-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

john bolin...more than a few of the classic guitars you see the big rock guitarists using are actually bolin repro's...he makes'em better..has amazing list of clientele..check his gallery

Bolin Guitars: Hand-Crafted Guitars, Bass, Boise, ID

cheers

User Info Menu

You are always better off just trying to find a CS Gibson you bond with.
    1.) Resale
    2.) Resale
    3.) Did I mention Resale!

User Info Menu

Do you mean a gold top w/ P-90s in particular, or just a classic LP?

This Forshage is pretty sweet.

User Info Menu

gibson has made quite a few variations of the goldtop-p90 lp in recent years...so not at all unobtainable...

and one of the most respected copies is by tokai...a fave of many west coast jump blues guys

cheers

User Info Menu

If you can't find a CS Gibson that is wonderful! You don't want a Les Paul!

User Info Menu

There are many excellent independent guitar makers who build superb instruments based on Les Pauls.
    Most of them would be happy to configure an instrument to your request - a wraptail, gold-top instrument with 2 x P-90s. Of course, these will not be reproductions, as that would violate trademark law. Are you looking for a reproduction or simply a good guitar based on the '53/'54 Les Paul Goltop?

User Info Menu

Maybe not what youre looking for, but Daniel Slaman does a nice LP/ES150 hybrid....

Luthiers who build a Gibson Vintage style solid body?-0dad110f-62c7-40bd-b927-d375b87b8fe8-jpg

User Info Menu

"Build a Vintage Instrument"
    You mean a fraudulent guitar? There are plenty of people doing that. Otherwise, if it is built-new, it is not vintage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    There are many excellent independent guitar makers who build superb instruments based on Les Pauls.
    Most of them would be happy to configure an instrument to your request - a wraptail, gold-top instrument with 2 x P-90s. Of course, these will not be reproductions, as that would violate trademark law. Are you looking for a reproduction or simply a good guitar based on the '53/'54 Les Paul Goltop?
    Thanks Hammertone. Yes, "a good guitar based on the '53/'54 Les Paul Goltop?"

I know Gibson reissues them. Unfortunately they are mostly too heavy, with plow-handle necks.

User Info Menu

You might consider an Eastman version. Reasonable in price,well built, and can be Custom Ordered.

User Info Menu

You could take an R4 Goldtop, send it to Historic Makeover for its neck carve modelled after a particular comfortable 1959 Les Paul, get a Brazilian rosewood fretboard, Hyde glue, vintage correct bronze powder gold nitrocellulose, roulette wheel recurve, purge the truss rod sheath, and you would have a legitimate Gibson. The Historic Makeover Real Deal package costs $4000 for pre-2013 R4s. Buy a used R4 for about $2200, $6200 nett nett.

Luthier fakes would cost you about the same and you won't get the Gibson logo and headstock.

If you are in Europe, the go-to guy is Florian for a makeover.

User Info Menu

Most Historic Le Pauls weigh between 8 and 9 pounds these days.

Check out Historic Makeover. Those guys could even age it for you with lacquer checks and verdigris.

User Info Menu

A 3rd way is to look for a Tokai, Edwards, Crews Maniac, Bacchus, Momose LP copy and modify away.

User Info Menu

There is a broad range of pricing among the luthiers who can make you a good guitar based on the '53/'54 Les Paul Goltop. As well, there are many companies that make or made excellent Les Paul-like guitars, some for more $$$, some for less. IMO, used Gibson Custom Shop R4 goldtop guitars are an excellent value.

Some of the smaller makers:
    -Tom Bartlett
    -John Bolin
    -Fibonare Guitars
    -Johan Gustavsson
    -Frank Hartung
    -Nik Huber
    -Doug Kauer
    -Saul Koll
    -Brian Monty
    -Juha Ruokangas
    -Daniel Slaman
    -Michael Stevens
    -Gil Yaron

Brian Monty is a friend, and his Bluesmaster is a superb Les Paul-like instrument. Unlike many of the other custom builders, his pricing is quite down to earth. I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy to build you a wraptail, goldtop Bluesmaster wih two P-90s if that's what you want.

My Bluesmaster, with a figured birch top:

Last edited by Hammertone; 08-10-2020 at 02:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Do you mean a gold top w/ P-90s in particular, or just a classic LP?

This Forshage is pretty sweet.
    +1 ... I have 3 Forshages (not a Les Paul style...a ergo, a tele and a 339ish style) and they are fantastic instruments. I play them more than my Gibsons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PDeville
    Thanks Hammertone. Yes, "a good guitar based on the '53/'54 Les Paul Goltop?"

I know Gibson reissues them. Unfortunately they are mostly too heavy, with plow-handle necks.
    I have a 1952 and I always wondered why people thought LP's were heavy until I did an actual comparison with a few 70s and 80s models . Real boat anchors. My 52 was a featherweight by comparison.

User Info Menu

Check out the Eastman SB56. They're incredible, like the SB59. Also, they use relatively lightweight mahogany, so no boat anchors.
    Eastman may not be a boutique luthier, but the people that work there are luthiers.