Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Finally a new Blog post after all these months.

DB

Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: The Gibson ES 350

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello DB,

I have enjoyed so many articles on your blog. They are all very well done, and very high quality.
    (Although I was never very interested in Tal's playing! HaHa!)

Thanks for all your efforts!
    PD

User Info Menu

The grail of Bop guitar !

User Info Menu

Just a note, first year 350's had single bound celluloid guards. My '47 blonde has one though not on the guitar due to offgassing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Just a note, first year 350's had single bound celluloid guards. My '47 blonde has one though not on the guitar due to offgassing.
    So you have a Premier? Very cool.

DB

User Info Menu

I can't think of a better person to provide a home for this guitar. Your playing and that guitar are truly a great match.

User Info Menu

Tal Farlow lives on through Dick. Maybe Gibson will come out with a Dutchbopper signature model. I would buy one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Tal Farlow lives on through Dick. Maybe Gibson will come out with a Dutchbopper signature model. I would buy one.
    Haha. Years ago I mailed Gibson to tell them I was selling Tal Farlows for them. Which I was. They sent me a T shirt.

Anyway, a DB signature model would be an ES 350 with the neck of a modern Tal Farlow and one single P90 in neck position. It would have to be built of very light laminates, just like in the old days. First I would want to try out different prototypes with a spruce and maple top and a mahogany and maple neck in several combinations before settling on a definitive neck and top built.

Dream on DB.

Thanks Vinny!!!!!

DB

User Info Menu

Hey DB,

You're the best advocate of ES350/TF I know and your blog/videos are of real high quality. As you may know, I am also a happy owner of a blonde 1955 ES350, same model as yours except it has the toggle switch and I a 1946 ES300. Just like for your ES350, mine is built like feather whereas the ES300 is more heavily built (although much lighter than Norlin era laminated guitars). Did you notice also that your ES300 had thicker material than your ES350 ?

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Hey DB, You're the best advocate of ES350/TF I know and your blog/videos are of real high quality. As you may know, I am also a happy owner of a blonde 1955 ES350, same model as yours except it has the toggle switch and I a 1946 ES300. Just like for your ES350, mine is built like feather whereas the ES300 is more heavily built (although much lighter than Norlin era laminated guitars). Did you notice also that your ES300 had thicker material than your ES350 ? Cheers.
    Hi Fred,

Yes, of course I know your blonde ES 350. Great axe!

I can't say I noticed much difference between the weight of my 300 and 350. My ES 300 was very lightweight too, maybe even lighter than the ES 350. I can't check it anymore because in the mean time I have sold the 300. My 300 was much, much lighter than my Tal Farlow or 175.

So on the whole, I do not recognise your observation about the 300.

I do think that what makes all the 50s ES guitars so wonderful, is the simple fact that they are of a much lighter built than current ES models.

To me, vintage light weight ES + P90 = tone heaven. It is the sound that I hear in my head. I'm strictly a thunk man.

DB

User Info Menu

Great to see discussion of ES-350's on the forum. I have a SB 1949 and a Blonde 1950 and just love them both. The pot on the lower bout controls the blend between the pickups on both of mine rather than act as a tone pot. Do you use Hum Debuggers with yours?
    Dan