The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I'm curious. I notice that most of the music gear retailers now are not selling DV Mark. The ones that are, do not carry the latest stuff. Guitar Center's DVMark stuff is all open-box.

Is DVMark having trouble? It's hard to find a place to buy their equipment.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Guitar Center is in a world of hurt, and isn't stocking much these days. Musician's Friend has ~50 DV Mark products listed for sale.

User Info Menu

Ggood Riddance to Guitar Center! Horrible place and took all the Soul and Fun out of going to the local guitar store and meet freinds!

User Info Menu

I think these are hard times, especially for smaller companies. Zt lunchbox announced their newest Lunchbox reverb amp one year and a half ago, and it's still not available in Europe..

User Info Menu

In the UK I bought my Little Jazz from Andertons, they are still stocking them.

User Info Menu

Looking at the website, they're not slowing down. Several new amp models (or actually revamped old ones). Manufacturing in Indonesia, not hurt by the mandatory Italian factory closures in April-June. Component bottlenecks (assuming a lot, including speakers, comes from China) should be over by now, but the market hasn't recovered and many retailers find themselves in various degrees of pinch. However, some that I talk to report quite strong web sales, as people have been looking for ways to kill time during quarantine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Ggood Riddance to Guitar Center! Horrible place and took all the Soul and Fun out of going to the local guitar store and meet freinds!
    I actually enjoy going there and just browsing around. If some goofy kid asks me if I need anything, I say no thanks, just killing some time today. But I do miss impromptu meet ups and chats with other musicians at the smaller shops

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Looking at the website, they're not slowing down. Several new amp models (or actually revamped old ones). Manufacturing in Indonesia, not hurt by the mandatory Italian factory closures in April-June. Component bottlenecks (assuming a lot, including speakers, comes from China) should be over by now, but the market hasn't recovered and many retailers find themselves in various degrees of pinch. However, some that I talk to report quite strong web sales, as people have been looking for ways to kill time during quarantine.
    That's what prompted my question. I can't seem to find any US outlets that carry the full line. I am really interested in the 60 watt versions of their amps but can't find where to order one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    That's what prompted my question. I can't seem to find any US outlets that carry the full line. I am really interested in the 60 watt versions of their amps but can't find where to order one.
    I believe the 60-watters differ in optics only. I don't think there's any mention of new or improved features. It's now 60W to 4 ohm, 50W to 8 ohm, while the Micro 50 was 50W to 8 ohm, 60W to 4 ohm! Apart from the CM signature, which has a micro-tube in the preamp, all Micro 50s share the same clean channel. The dirty channel is a superimposed, on-board effect. The jazz versions don't have one, yet weigh the same and cost more. I'm using the 50M as a demo/test amp because of its max. versatility. My 1st gen blue Micro 50 goes to gigs, but has recently been superseded by the BAM200. The Micro 60 was on display at NAMM in January, but with no info or bruhaha around it. The company rep had little to say about it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I believe the 60-watters differ in optics only. I don't think there's any mention of new or improved features. It's now 60W to 4 ohm, 50W to 8 ohm, while the Micro 50 was 50W to 8 ohm, 60W to 4 ohm! Apart from the CM signature, which has a micro-tube in the preamp, all Micro 50s share the same clean channel. The dirty channel is a superimposed, on-board effect. The jazz versions don't have one, yet weigh the same and cost more. I'm using the 50M as a demo/test amp because of its max. versatility. My 1st gen blue Micro 50 goes to gigs, but has recently been superseded by the BAM200. The Micro 60 was on display at NAMM in January, but with no info or bruhaha around it. The company rep had little to say about it.
    So you prefer the Bam200 to the Dv Mark? Asking because I'm considering buying the Bam 200, but have never heard it. On the other hand I have played a lot through the blue early DvMark and like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    So you prefer the Bam200 to the Dv Mark? Asking because I'm considering buying the Bam 200, but have never heard it. On the other hand I have played a lot through the blue early DvMark and like it.
    You won't go wrong with either. You probably know that I'm obsessed by weight, and the BAM weighs just a third of the DV Mark. It's a much better physical fit with my 6.5" TOOB Metro cabs. BAM lacks reverb but somehow doesn't suffer from this too much, while the the DV Mark reverb is chorusy-tipsy and more appropriate for acoustic guitar. OTOH, the DV Mark has a beefy, jazzy tone, much darker and mellower than a Quilter 101R for instance. I think it's the latter-day equivalent to Polytone and wish someone did a fair, nostalgia free A/B between the two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I actually enjoy going there and just browsing around. If some goofy kid asks me if I need anything, I say no thanks, just killing some time today. But I do miss impromptu meet ups and chats with other musicians at the smaller shops
    I like shopping at Guitar Center, apparently, more than I'm supposed to.

Of course, they have to carry the product you want. If they do, you can sit there and try things out for hours, no hassle. They'll match any price -- and will look up the competing prices for you. They'll sell the item with a 45 day return privilege and honor it, no questions asked and no hassle. For one item, I got the refund faster than I was able to buy the product. When the easel on my Yamaha keyboard broke, they handed me a new one. I didn't even have to show a receipt. The salespeople are knowledgeable about the stuff they use in their own playing, but rarely beyond that, it seems -- the salespeople are not there to sell jazz gear to old guys like me. They don't compete with boutique stores, because they don't carry boutique products.

In my local mom and pop store, the guy has mostly off brands (well, you might blame GC for that), hovers, and is irritable about returns.

All that said, when in NYC I shop at Rudy's, not GC.

User Info Menu

GC had a 6 month return on phone orders in the first month of the shutdown. Went through 4 Taylors, week long tryouts, before finding the fifth. Did the exchanges at my local. Pre-arranged call when I got to the parking lot and do the swap covid safe. Hard to beat that kind of service.

User Info Menu

In a way, Guitar Center hurts themselves with their return policy. People seem to tend to buy something, play with it hard for a month, and return it for a full refund. Many do this instead of renting. That's not morally acceptable to me, but my morals are only my own. I shop there because they have the stuff I need much of the time, and if they don't have it, it can usually be ordered. I'm an old geezer and I'm not GC's target demo, so I don't complain about kids playing rock licks at volume while I"m there. At least they're into music instead of far worse possibilities. I would hate to see GC go out of business, but I fear it's very possible.

User Info Menu

musicians friend/guitar center were already in trouble pre pandemic....with cities and states closing, many guitar centers have been shuttered for months..hard to make the bills..despite possible increased activity at mail order musicians friend

rickenbacker usa guitars has just pulled out of mf/gc...they must be owed $$$...sure others will follow

same thing happened a few years back..gibson pulled out...weren't available at gc for a couple years

rough times...

and for the gc haters...if they go, then it's all mail order!..don't dream that mom & pop shops will reappear to pick up the slack..those days are over...more and more are closing...

need a pick or set of strings?...gonna have to order online!

cheers

User Info Menu

You won't go wrong with either. You probably know that I'm obsessed by weight, and the BAM weighs just a third of the DV Mark. It's a much better physical fit with my 6.5" TOOB Metro cabs. BAM lacks reverb but somehow doesn't suffer from this too much, while the the DV Mark reverb is chorusy-tipsy and more appropriate for acoustic guitar. OTOH, the DV Mark has a beefy, jazzy tone, much darker and mellower than a Quilter 101R for instance. I think it's the latter-day equivalent to Polytone and wish someone did a fair, nostalgia free A/B between the two.
    Somewhere on this forum I have done a side-by-side of the Polytone and DV Mark Little Jazz. I'll try to find it.

User Info Menu

I was always curious about this bad boy:

http://www.dvmark.it/product-detail/dv-mark-evo1/

User Info Menu

Arghhh! My LJ is going south. Got mine in January ‘18 as a replacement for a defective one I got for Christmas in ‘17. Plays great most of the time, but every twenty minutes it distorts like mad for a few seconds than back to normal. Playing an Ab, on any octave, seems to induce distortion. Swapped cables but every thing works great with my other amps.

User Info Menu

Maybe something loose somewhere? And are you certain it's not something in the room vibrating? I've been fooled by that before.