The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi there I have a Barney Kessel Kay K guitar and I was wondering if anyone knows what it's worth. I have had it since I was 16 so a lot of years haha. I have pictures but if there is anything else needed to establish what it's worth let me know. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images Barney Kessel Kay Guitar-001-jpg Barney Kessel Kay Guitar-003-jpg Barney Kessel Kay Guitar-007-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

very cool guitar...the new reissues go for 1400$...so i'd expect over double that for an original in good shape...

cheers

User Info Menu

Put it on Reverb for $2999. Wait a couple of weeks and see what happens. If you get watchers, you can always lower the price to entice them.

User Info Menu

There’s a one pickup version on reverb asking $4K. Of course, that doesn’t mean it will sell for anything close to that. If yours is all original that increases collector’s value, and any original documentation does too.

Kay Barney Kessel B6701B Artist 1959 Blonde Kay Barney Kessel B6701B Artist 1959 Blonde | The Guitar | Reverb

Thanks so much all of you that replied, this helps a lot.

User Info Menu

Well it won't be worth anything without strings...can't play a single song on it.

Yes I know I'm being snarky...

Seriously, if you list it, do string it up and make sure it's playable and the neck is reasonable. Buyers will want to know those minimal facts.

I have always been interested in this model...I have a '56 Kay mahogany model that's pretty cool and playable despite a bit of neck bowing.

Even though Barney put his name on it, I do wonder how well it would compare to a vintage Gibson 175 for instance or a modern archtop in terms of playability and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Well it won't be worth anything without strings...can't play a single song on it.

Yes I know I'm being snarky...

Seriously, if you list it, do string it up and make sure it's playable and the neck is reasonable. Buyers will want to know those minimal facts.

I have always been interested in this model...I have a '56 Kay mahogany model that's pretty cool and playable despite a bit of neck bowing.

Even though Barney put his name on it, I do wonder how well it would compare to a vintage Gibson 175 for instance or a modern archtop in terms of playability and sound.
    Yes well I am not an electric guitar lover, my uncle gave it to me in 1979, and I have never touched, there is no bowing in the neck, looks to me like it's in perfect condition. It also comes in the original case. I have someone interested in it, so I thought I would do some research before selling it, to get an idea of what it's actually worth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by renfrewite
    Yes well I am not an electric guitar lover, my uncle gave it to me in 1979, and I have never touched, there is no bowing in the neck, looks to me like it's in perfect condition. It also comes in the original case. I have someone interested in it, so I thought I would do some research before selling it, to get an idea of what it's actually worth.
    Just giving you a hard time.

Seriously, I would love to play one sometime. You don’t live in the Midwest, do you?

No I am in Beachburg, Ontario Canada.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by renfrewite
    No I am in Beachburg, Ontario Canada.
    I don’t think Canada will let any Americans in now...shame, I always loved Toronto and Montreal and wanted to visit the upper Northwest.

Anyway, good luck with your sale. Keep us posted.

Yes our borders are still closed, and it's true Montreal and Toronto are amazing cities to see. I live about 4 hours away from Montreal, and 6 or so hours away from Toronto.