The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

clip from john bohlinger (premier guitar) runnin though some of his nice gibson es guitars

check the es-150 dc

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Seems like a nice guy,but I can't get by his playing. He's one of those players that never fully commits to the groove he's trying to play.
    It's a lot like being behind another car and the person is on the cell phone and doesn't notice the light has turned green,LOL !

User Info Menu

The 150dc is yet another great Gibson that players turned their noses up at... DC? No way, that's for semis! Thin neck? Wowser not me! It's a good thing they never took up the violin :-)

Like many (or most) demos, he talks too much and plays too little.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    The 150dc is yet another great Gibson that players turned their noses up at... DC? No way, that's for semis! Thin neck? Wowser not me! It's a good thing they never took up the violin :-)

Like many (or most) demos, he talks too much and plays too little.
    I've tried a few ES150DC's and really wanted to like them, but didn't. The ones I've tried just sounded bad. Overly bright, with neither the classic Gibson laminated archtop sound nor the fat mid-range of semi-hollow. Great idea for a guitar, poor execution IMO. I think that's a pretty common assessment. As far as the skinny neck goes -- yeah, I don't like 'em (though I'll admit it took me a long time to come to that realization). And yeah, it's a good think I never took up the violin, especially for the people who'd have to hear it.

As far as the video goes, these things are what the are. If you can get even one bit of information or insight and/or are entertained for a few minutes, consider it a win. I thought he did a decent job of demoing the varitone switch on the 355, so there you go.

John

User Info Menu

I really enjoy reading the last page of Premier Guitar. John Bohlinger has some great views, advice, and relates guitar playing to living life, and also the other way around. I look forward to reading those columns of his.

I did have an ES 150 DC. In 1971, I knew how to play, I just didn't know much about gear and getting good tone.
    We assumed that if we bought the "best" back then, the tone and chops would follow! "Look at me!"

I played 5 nights a week on that guitar thru my '71 Twin Reverb with JBL's. I got better as a player, but could never sound or play like I wanted to. Took a long time to weed out the Twin, and finally that guitar. The thin narrow necks have never helped me, and I had a few, but now, I won't even touch one. Much better on big necks.