The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

The only problem, if there even is one, with video amp/cab/guitar/gear demos is that they can never accurately reproduce the sound I will hear with that gear. I don't have Christian's amps, his guitars, nor his fingers, and the sound is going into a microphone to some electronics that convert it to digital, it's stored there digitally, then the digital file is transmitted to a server, stored there, then transmitted to my computer via unknown routes, and replayed on my equipment after being converted back from digital to analog. So the accuracy can be problematic. We get what we get, and we're really lucky if we get a video that showcases equipment in a jazz setting, not wildly distorted rock sounds (I hesitate to call them tones).

That said, the video is good enough to convince me that the Toob will sound good enough for my use, after suitable tweaking of the EQ. It doesn't sound at all bad, in fact it sounds very good. The only thing keeping me from ordering one is that I already have too much gear - combos, heads, cabs, whatever. If I were starting out from scratch again, I would probably begin with a Toob - either 8" or 6.5" - and a RE Luna head. But I"m not starting from scratch, and I couldn't get rid if what I have economically, nor sentimentally. So I'm afraid Gitterbug won't get a sale from me, but only because of my current situation. I really think he has an excellent product, maybe the next big thing after the Raezer's Edge.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Luna is my wet dream, but I'm too much in the red, have too many amps, and am too pedestrian as a jazz guitarist to deserve one. But heck, we only live once, and the very newest in the lot, a TOOB 10S, would no doubt bring the best out of the Luna, and vice versa. Two such cabs side by side and the Luna on top would challenge any twin in this world, yet weigh only 22 lbs and be portable in parts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    A lot of jazz players around here (and a few in NYC too I think?) use a Princeton to gig. I do. So it made sense for me to choose that comparison.
    Yup, some people here in NYC gig with Princeton Reverbs (e.g., yours truly), but in general tube amps are used a lot less than they used to be and one sees lots of Henriksens, Quilters, etc.. In any event, whether they gig with one or not, many people are likely to be familiar with the sound of a Princeton Reverb, so it makes sense as a reference (ditto for a Deluxe Reverb).

John

User Info Menu

John, do you know guitarist Greg Ruggiero from Brooklyn, NY? A TOOB convert since 2018, he did 29 gigs in January in places like Smalls, using a telescopic TOOB 10T Custom for some bigger venues and a prototype Metro Custom for the rest. All commuting by subway.

User Info Menu

I can't really get a whole lot out of online amp demos. So much of it for me is how it reacts, the feel, and what it's like to be right beside it. Mainly what I got from this is that Toob is for real. I think using Princeton as a control is about the best you could do. Best demo I've seen of it. Thanks Christian! If I ever need to cycle my gear around town I know what to get.

And props to Gitter for coming up with such an innovative design and making a go of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    John, do you know guitarist Greg Ruggiero from Brooklyn, NY? A TOOB convert since 2018, he did 29 gigs in January in places like Smalls, using a telescopic TOOB 10T Custom for some bigger venues and a prototype Metro Custom for the rest. All commuting by subway.
    No, I don't know him.

John