The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

It is all about transaction and processing fees. Even though the individual fee for most transactions is low, maybe pennies up to a dollar, repeat that millions of times a day (in the case of eBay) and we're talking real money. In the Internet economy, small transactions repeated many many times is how that revenue is driven. Keeping that money for one's own business and not giving it to someone else is therefore essential.

I remember a few years ago having some work done on a pickup by Kent Armstrong and asking him how he wanted to be paid for it. He told me to send him a check and that he doesn't take credit cards because "I didn't want a silent partner in my business." I don't know if that is still true.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A pedal I had on Reverb sold Sunday (8/2), I shipped it Monday (8/3) and immediately entered the tracking number into the Order Details. I paid my own shipping costs and did not use their shipping label. The money was received in my account today (8/6).

I sold it for $130.00 + $12.00 shipping, $142.00 total. The deposit in my account was for $132.95.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    A pedal I had on Reverb sold Sunday (8/2), I shipped it Monday (8/3) and immediately entered the tracking number into the Order Details. I paid my own shipping costs and did not use their shipping label. The money was received in my account today (8/6).

I sold it for $130.00 + $12.00 shipping, $142.00 total. The deposit in my account was for $132.95.
    Sounds good to me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    A pedal I had on Reverb sold Sunday (8/2), I shipped it Monday (8/3) and immediately entered the tracking number into the Order Details. I paid my own shipping costs and did not use their shipping label.
    Same here... only I'm still waiting for Reverb to release the funds. Despite a 100% favorable rating over half a dozen transactions this is my first time not using PayPal. Since I'm new to Reverb Payments, apparently, I must wait a few days until after the item is delivered tomorrow.

I have no problem with the fees. But it took them 4 days to get my payment to my bank.

User Info Menu

I have been fortunate as both a buyer and seller on Reverb. Great marketplace. Just sad that the seller fees went up. I have lately been using Facebook Mktplace to great avail. It’s kind of the Wild West and you get loads of “is this item still available?” and “are you interested in a trade? I have a mint (insert beat Behringer pedal name here)”. But, I’ve moved a ton of gear in my efforts to divest of much of my gear over the past year that way and met some nice people. And best of all, it’s still free.

So there's a certain amp I've been wanting to try, not sure if I'd like it. Might have to flip if not. Could not get anyone on Reverb to go below $500, even used. Just picked one up on ebay for $295.

User Info Menu

eBay is a more competitive market place for buyers to operate in then reverb.com is, for some reason. Maybe because reverb.com is not an auction site and that creates a different kind of thinking. eBay sellers might be thinking about what they can get for an item whereas reverb.com sellers may be thinking about what they want to get for an item.

As a result I tend to find reverb.com pricing to be aspirational rather than realistic. In terms of the psychology of selling and buying, once the seller has set a price he or she feels like they're getting ripped off if they come down on it; for the buyer, if the seller doesn't come down then they feel like they're getting ripped off. Maybe a fair transaction is one in which both sides feel like they lost?

I remember a few years ago on Reverb there was a guy trying to sell what he presented as Johnny Smith's D'Angelico. He had the letter/bill of sale that Johnny wrote to Hank Rusan when he sold him his 1955 D'Angelico. The problem is that the guitar in the sale was not that the guitar. The seller said that he had bought the guitar from the estate (presumably that of Mr. Rusan, although I don't know if he is alive or dead) and he was completely unwilling to countenance the possibility that the guitar was not the one referred to in the letter, even though it very clearly was a standard Excel and not Johnny's Excel with New Yorker ornamentation. I sent him links to photos of the correct guitar, pointing out the differences, but he was still resistant. I finally had to challenge him to check the serial number of the guitar against the serial number in the letter and see if they matched. I didn't hear back from him after that. The ad stayed up for another year or so, unchanged, but has since disappeared. It did not seem to me like the seller was trying to rip anybody off and that he believed that he had what he thought he had; the mistake may have been made on the estate end when they sold him that instrument. I hope somebody didn't buy that guitar thinking they were getting Johnny's real 1955 D'A. Although it was probably an outstanding guitar in its own right and you could debate whether or not it was worth the $35,000 asking price. "Fair pricing" for instruments like that is far from being an exact science; it is really worth only with the buyer and seller can agree that it's worth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    eBay is a more competitive market place for buyers to operate in then reverb.com is, for some reason. Maybe because reverb.com is not an auction site and that creates a different kind of thinking. eBay sellers might be thinking about what they can get for an item whereas reverb.com sellers may be thinking about what they want to get for an item.

As a result I tend to find reverb.com pricing to be aspirational rather than realistic. In terms of the psychology of selling and buying, once the seller has set a price he or she feels like they're getting ripped off if they come down on it; for the buyer, if the seller doesn't come down then they feel like they're getting ripped off. Maybe a fair transaction is one in which both sides feel like they lost?

I remember a few years ago on Reverb there was a guy trying to sell what he presented as Johnny Smith's D'Angelico. He had the letter/bill of sale that Johnny wrote to Hank Rusan when he sold him his 1955 D'Angelico. The problem is that the guitar in the sale was not that the guitar. The seller said that he had bought the guitar from the estate (presumably that of Mr. Rusan, although I don't know if he is alive or dead) and he was completely unwilling to countenance the possibility that the guitar was not the one referred to in the letter, even though it very clearly was a standard Excel and not Johnny's Excel with New Yorker ornamentation. I sent him links to photos of the correct guitar, pointing out the differences, but he was still resistant. I finally had to challenge him to check the serial number of the guitar against the serial number in the letter and see if they matched. I didn't hear back from him after that. The ad stayed up for another year or so, unchanged, but has since disappeared. It did not seem to me like the seller was trying to rip anybody off and that he believed that he had what he thought he had; the mistake may have been made on the estate end when they sold him that instrument. I hope somebody didn't buy that guitar thinking they were getting Johnny's real 1955 D'A. Although it was probably an outstanding guitar in its own right and you could debate whether or not it was worth the $35,000 asking price. "Fair pricing" for instruments like that is far from being an exact science; it is really worth only with the buyer and seller can agree that it's worth.
    I'm not sure that's true. I have never sold anything on eBay. I bought a few guitars and other stuff there back in the day. All auctions. But I just checked listings for a few Gibson models. The prices seemed no lower than on Reverb. Plus, there were few auctions and many or most did not include the option to make an offer. Unless I'm missing something?

User Info Menu

Reverb is full of inflated guitar prices. Just check the L5’s at 2 dealers. Archtop.com and Gruhn’s, neither are considered cheap places to shop but just look current l5’s on archtop.com.

A cheaper than reverb and you are dealing with a known. Gruhn had a mint wes l5 for $6500 about 2 weeks ago. It sold in days. Reverb is just a total wash on expectations in most cases. Like everything lighting can strike a fair deal but otherwise?

Selling prices on Gibson archtops are not some big secret. If you have a nice Wes l5 it will sell probably $5800-6800. But if you have one on reverb asking $8200. I not going to buy it and it will not sell fast. I am not a dealer just a realist.

User Info Menu

I suspect some, if not most, individual sellers on Reverb price their stuff high, for a couple of reasons. One, someone might buy it at that price. If not, most sellers want a lower price, so selling for less than the listed price still may get what they wanted anyway. I've only sold one item at the price I originally set, although I got lots of lowball offers on it. So don't take the list price as the expected price, negotiate, because everyone does. List prices mean little on Reverb, so check the selling prices if you want to find out how much something is selling for.

User Info Menu

Reverb Guitar has changed their policies to be intrusive and their customer service is like talking to a brick wall. I just sold a Guitar Research Archtop and instead of my money going directly to my Paypal account (as it always has in the past) Reverb is holding my money until I go through their third party handler "Plaid". Not only that, but it will only go to a Bank account now.

What Reverb.com wants to know
    Account numbers
    Reverb.com requires account and routing numbers to allow transactions from eligible checking and savings accounts. To help protect you from fraud, we share "substitute account numbers" instead—they work the same as actual account numbers when used by authorized third parties.

Account names, types and other details

Balances, transactions and rewards

Contact info

They basically want to know your account number, balance, transactions and every other detail to your bank account. I contacted them to tell them they are not getting that info and they said "you won't get your money until we do". There is no customer service number to call and I'm left with them having my money from this sale.

DO NOT USE REVERB to sell your gear !!!

User Info Menu

EBay wanted the same things last fall. Not sure what they want now. Also, FYI to anyone that doesn't know. You will now get a 1099 form if you receive over $600 for sold items cumulatively on both Reverb and EBay. You may or may not have to prove to tax authorities that you sold at a loss and aren't required to pay taxes on those proceeds. I suppose that issue may need to be resolved if you are audited. Also, I don't know enough about taxes to know that if you do get a 1099 that means that you will have to pay other taxes such as self employment taxes but you might.

User Info Menu

In the 70's and 80's, when I wanted to sell a guitar or amp, it was either classified ads (not very cheap and the ad only reached a small market for a limited time), or a music store consignment. I never sold at a wholesale price to a dealer as that always seemed unwise to me.

The Internet changed everything and with low fees on EBay and no fees on Craigslist combined with cheap shipping costs, I cycled through a lot of guitars and amps between 2002 and 2016. But starting in about 2016, the EBay and Reverb fees started going up and the shipping fees increased as well. Now they want all kinds of sensitive info and will issue 1099's. No thanks, I am out. Music store consignment and Craigslist are my available options today. With sales tax added, even buying on EBay or Reverb is no longer of interest. At least Craigslist is still free (how long can that last?).

Online forums have been a good too, but with reporting requirements, I would want some payment form that would leave a lot of buyers uncomfortable (bank wires and such).

I have not bought a guitar or amp in awhile and I am hoping to tame the GAS. That is the best way to deal with the new rules for buying and selling. It is not easy. Places like this forum are as tempting as a 20 year old beauty queen. But just because I am on a diet, there is nothing wrong with me looking at the menu.

User Info Menu

Well nothing like Bankers and Lawyers to ruin the fun for everyone and make the profits themselves. And they said the Mafia was ruthless,Lol!

User Info Menu

I recently sold on Reverb, shipping next day, and received payment the day after shipping. I didn’t see a problem with that. You shouldn’t receive payment before shipping. Duh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I recently sold on Reverb, shipping next day, and received payment the day after shipping. I didn’t see a problem with that. You shouldn’t receive payment before shipping. Duh.
    Reverb won't release funds until the seller provides tracking information to the buyer. Everything I've listed on Reverb has sold within two days. I don't mind paying some fees for that kind of exposure. YMMV.