The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

They don't pay you until you ship, but then it takes another few days?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Reverb just raised prices the outfit is a mess. Ebay back to it or this board.

Yeah - I just experienced the change at Reverb as well! I met the founders of Reverb many years back at a Winter NAMM Show just after they had launched. Super nice guys with a really good idea that over the years they developed into a really great reality. Loved that they competed with eBay, lowered the commissions (and forced eBay to as well) and catered to musicians specifically.

I just found out last week, after experiencing one of their new policy changes, supposedly for “our”, the users benefit, that they sold out to Etsy! And that new policy change I was told was implemented to improve service and “benefit” the community? Let’s just say that I now know why I didn't perceive it as an improvement for the myself or the Reverb community, as much as I saw it as a benefit and new “profit center” for them! Sad! ?

So it seems like you can't use paypal anymore, you have to use their system. They're holding your money for at least 3 days AFTER payment sent and then transit. Bizarre. I think maybe they're just banking on interest.

You may be right about going back to ebay for selling.

User Info Menu

Reverb does provide a great market place for musical instruments and accessories - but has restrictive protocols governing payment, shipping and refund/ return policies - along with nebulous fees presented at the completion of a sale.

Don’t expect an expeditious process like calling a Merchant and giving them charge card info - and having a “next day” delivery with your choice of shipment. Reverb controls the entire payment and checkout process.

There are pros and cons of using this platform - but I have found some great instruments searching thru Reverb.

In fact, I don’t even bother searching on EBay, or worse Gbase , the later of which is known to contain aged listings of sold inventory.

This is by no means an endorsement of Reverb - just adding more insight to the post.
    Last edited by QAman; 08-01-2020 at 12:49 PM.

User Info Menu

I was an early adopter of reverb. It was great. Even after eBay lowered it's fees to match reverb, I continued to use reverb. When reverb said you could not PayPal (could not get paid as a seller that way), I quit. Then the fees increase just insures I won't be back. It's a real shame, it was better than eBay... even tho it doesn't have the coverage bay does, I preferred reverb. So for me, it's back to eBay. But even then it's a last resort- I always try selling on several gear forums first, for a week or two.

User Info Menu

Not being able to use PayPal is going to cost them a lot of customers..

User Info Menu

i say to boycott reverb and let them know we do not like what they are doing. A very long time and respected dealer told me he is tired of reverb and them telling him how to do business. He was in business long before reverb ever was even thought of. Just look at the Gruhn. He never uses Reverb and the whole set up is just not what I see as the winner for all involved. I agree with Qaman that reverb has done some things ok and specific but at this point they have made enemies with their base..............................I am boycotting them and I have a guitar for sale on there sight too.

User Info Menu

Interesting topic. I have several questions/comments. First, I have bought and sold maybe 20 items on Reverb. All of the transactions went well.

From my limited experience, it appears there is greater buyer and seller protection there than elsewhere. Is that right or not? If they no longer allow PayPal, why not use a credit card or bank account?

In terms of PayPal, does it offer the same buyer and seller protection as Reverb without PayPal?

If I buy or sell something on this forum, is it basically through PayPal, and how much trust is involved? Somebody on this forum recently sent me a PayPal payment, then changed his mind. I refunded it, no problem. But would everybody do that

Now let’s address the Reverb fees. Are they unreasonable? After all, you get great exposure and supposedly better security. Of course, it would be better to sell/buy it here or locally first without the fees if you can trust the buyer/seller.

What about Ebay? How do they compare in terms of buyer/seller security? I am willing to pay a little more for that.

Next, what about the Gear Page? I have noticed that stuff listed there often moves fast. I thought the Gear Page management said PayPal was not a valid payment system on that site. Maybe I misread. Then how do you negotiate transactions there?

Finally, I think that Reverb’s decision to delay payment for a few days is a nonissue in light of bigger questions.

I have some stuff to sell and may be willing to buy at the right price. What do you think?

User Info Menu

As far as I can tell, regardless of how the buyer sources payment... credit card, PayPal, etc... it all passes through the Reverb payment system before the seller receives "payout", to use Reverb’s term.

Finally, I think that Reverb’s decision to delay payment for a few days is a nonissue in light of bigger questions
    This is the most distasteful change, in my opinion. In addition to the higher transaction fees, sellers are now forced into giving Reverb interest free loans.

User Info Menu

I'm guessing they dumped PayPal as it's an ebay company and they felt it was a conflict of interest.
    Anyone know what their fee increase is?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    A healthy 43% increase from 3.5 to 5 percent.

User Info Menu

I'm guessing they dumped PayPal as it's an ebay company and they felt it was a conflict of interest.
    No, PayPal split off from Ebay several years ago. It is a separate company. Indeed, it appears Ebay is also phasing out PayPal, not sure about that. The fact is, PayPal is now a huge factor in this field.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    As far as I can tell, regardless of how the buyer sources payment... credit card, PayPal, etc... it all passes through the Reverb payment system before the seller receives "payout", to use Reverb’s term.

This is the most distasteful change, in my opinion. In addition to the higher transaction fees, sellers are now forced into giving Reverb interest free loans.
    For a few days? How does that matter? The idea of interest-free loans means nothing these days, when banks, money market funds, etc. pay virtually nothing.

User Info Menu

Ebay no longer allows PayPal as a payment method. They push their own credit card, but accept any card or bank transfer. I have no idea why both sites abandoned PayPal. It's not a huge deal to me, because I can use the same credit card that I use for PayPal, but I do find it interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Ebay no longer allows PayPal as a payment method. They push their own credit card, but accept any card or bank transfer. I have no idea why both sites abandoned PayPal. It's not a huge deal to me, because I can use the same credit card that I use for PayPal, but I do find it interesting.
    If true this must've happened in the last couple weeks as I was paid through PayPal within that time frame on ebay.
    The Reverb increase and this PayPal change is all news to me, the majority of my online transactions are via PayPal, I'll need to look into this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Is the "No Paypal" thing on eBay country-specific? I use eBay Australia and have still been able to use Paypal - at least as recently as last week.

User Info Menu

I buy stuff on ebay all the time, and some time back they notified me that PayPal was being discontinued, and that I had to use a credit card. They really pushed their card, but I have all the cards I need. The only payment method that shows up is the credit card. Perhaps they still accept PayPal, but they haven't told me that.

User Info Menu

Sounds like they were trying to lure you in to anything but PayPal.
    PayPal is still accepted on ebay. There's likely some kind of agreement between PayPal and ebay along the lines of "we as ebay encourage you to pay another way than by using PayPal, but we'll still accept that method if need be as long as we get the commission, but we're not mentioning that Pp company anymore"

User Info Menu

but we're not mentioning that Pp company anymore"
    Could this be a region-specific thing? I still see the PP logo on ebay listings here in NoCal, and I just bought a Dumble Overdrive Special on eBay moments ago using PP.

OK, actually, I bought some shampoo, but the part about using PP was true :-)

Can individual eBay sellers choose to accept only certain forms of payment?

User Info Menu

@Phil59, The Gear Page discourages PayPal "gift" transactions, since they do not protect anyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    For a few days? How does that matter? The idea of interest-free loans means nothing these days, when banks, money market funds, etc. pay virtually nothing.
    You are not thinking big enough. Read up on the financial market and overnight loans. And take your 5% fee and scale it up by the number of Reverb transactions in a 72 hour period. And "these days" will not last forever. When I was looking to buy my first house interest rates were 18%

I sold a guitar late last week, and the payment cleared, yet still has not shown up from them in my account. These people are getting bad. I think I'm done selling anything but small stuff on reverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    You are not thinking big enough. Read up on the financial market and overnight loans. And take your 5% fee and scale it up by the number of Reverb transactions in a 72 hour period. And "these days" will not last forever. When I was looking to buy my first house interest rates were 18%
    Well, I am thinking big enough. Your point about how this benefits Reverb is right. My point is that it is irrelevant to me as an individual seller on Reverb. Yes, I remember the days of high interest rates. That was then, this is now--the new abnormal.

User Info Menu

I ask Reverb a question about buying a guitar overseas and duty fees. They are clueless as I explain it was an American made guitar and thus no import tax. The person answer was not very nice and certainly a paid employee who knew nothing of what goes on in music business. The thing is reverb has the data base and they site is loaded with very nice guitars for sale so it will take a lot to unseat them. I also note that many at least, of the nice high end jazz guitars for sale have been for sale for years. This includes my own on the site right now. There are many dealers an/or individuals who have a crazy idea of what a guitar should sell for.

Classis example is to look at the prices on reverb and then look at prices that well know dealers are charging. There are 3 or 4 real D'angelico for sale that have sat for many years. My guess is they are simply like me and my own guitar on reverb for sale. I don't have to sell it and it cost nothing at the moment to have it advertised. Reverb is not really out anything either as mostly the smaller sales are keeping the bills paid. I buy small items like wiring harness or parts no big deal, but a guitar running 2-10K$ cost to sell.