The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

All EQ flat. Only added some reverb. With a 10" speaker, the Mambo has less bottom end than my Polytone with the 15" speaker of course.

The impro contains the original DB Woody Woodpecker Motif.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice..that wonderful guitar sounds good thru anything!! but i think the 10" benefits the quickness of the attack of the single coil pickup

cheers

User Info Menu

Such a soulful and powerful delivery of that great tune. The guitar and the player both deliver the goods and make it happen.

User Info Menu

Is that a master volume instead of a switch?

User Info Menu

Do you find your ES-350 to be fairly lightweight? A friend of mine had two of them years ago, and one of his was just under 7lbs. Not bad, I thought, but I've seen L7C from that era at 5.5 lbs!
    The bracing and heavier tops must have been the difference, I suppose. Or is it the laminated wood?

Nice playing as always, Dutch bopper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice..that wonderful guitar sounds good thru anything!! but i think the 10" benefits the quickness of the attack of the single coil pickup cheers
    Thanks. Yeah I have been wondering about that. Do smaller speakers actually move faster than bigger ones? Makes sense ...

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Is that a master volume instead of a switch?
    No. There are 2 volume knobs on the lower treble bout and what you see on the cutaway bout is the master tone knob. You can mix the 2 pups by adjusting the amount of volume on each pup. But I only use the neck pup so the volume of the bridge pup is all down.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PDeville
    Do you find your ES-350 to be fairly lightweight? A friend of mine had two of them years ago, and one of his was just under 7lbs. Not bad, I thought, but I've seen L7C from that era at 5.5 lbs!
    The bracing and heavier tops must have been the difference, I suppose. Or is it the laminated wood?

Nice playing as always, Dutch bopper.
    Thanks. Yes the 350 is a fairly lightweight guitar. The laminate plates used on vintage guitars of this era are thinner. My 1998 Tal Farlow is way heavier!

The thinner plates not only result in less weight but in a much more responsive guitar too with a far better and louder acoustic sound as modern lamines.

I actually recorded the clip below with the 350 unamplified.

DB

User Info Menu

Man, I love those old 350s!!! And you make it sound divine!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Thanks. Yeah I have been wondering about that. Do smaller speakers actually move faster than bigger ones?
    yes they do...smaller speakers have better transient response (the ability to react to fast changes in frequency and volume)...primarily due to mass vs magnet energy...which translates to a more dynamic and responsive speaker

the caveat being a larger speaker generally can reproduce low frequencies better

tho if you have ever stood in front of an ampeg svt sealed 8x10 cab, the transient response is like no other...& the sound literally pounds against your chest..(and from 10 feet + away!!!)

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-29-2020 at 06:23 PM. Reason: add-

User Info Menu

What a tone! You seem to play even better with this ES-350...more relaxed...more bluesy..

User Info Menu

sounds wonderful.

User Info Menu

Well, DB,
    This was certainly a departure from most of your musical offerings which are predominately upbeat, hard-bop tempos. I enjoyed the pensive nature of your interpretation of this classic and some of the simple, clean linear lines juxtaposed to your improvisations. You've got a classic sound and your use of breathing and vibrato showed me a different side to your playing/personality which I'd like to see more. Beautiful playing. Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Well, DB,
    This was certainly a departure from most of your musical offerings which are predominately upbeat, hard-bop tempos. I enjoyed the pensive nature of your interpretation of this classic and some of the simple, clean linear lines juxtaposed to your improvisations. You've got a classic sound and your use of breathing and vibrato showed me a different side to your playing/personality which I'd like to see more. Beautiful playing. Play live . . . Marinero
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Herb Ellis once said he was actually a blues player at heart. I kind of tend to think the same about myself. Before I embarked on jazz I was a blues player for many years. The blues always pops up in my playing but even more on slow tunes.

I kind of like blowing over changes - and probably do that too often - but I think I am better at playing ballads, to be honest. I invariably get the most positive feedbck when playing ballads.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jpb
    What a tone! You seem to play even better with this ES-350...more relaxed...more bluesy..
    Yeah, the relaxation thing is a huge issue for me. After all these years, I still tend to freeze when there is a camera on my fingers. Especially on faster tempi and that can sound a bit strained. So what I can do effortlessly without a camera is often a bit strained in the vids. On ballads I tend to relax more and you hear that.

It kind of sucks but my best solos are those that are totally relaxed and therefore never recorded.

DB

User Info Menu

The time it takes an object to stop and reverse direction is a function of its inertia, which is a function of its mass, not its size. But since we're discussing effects here on earth, the area of the speaker is also involved, because it takes time and power to move a speaker cone against the ambient room air, which imposes some resistance to its movement. Then there is the stiffness of the cone, which isn't dependent on size, but does affect movement. So of course a smaller speaker cone is more responsive, and can change direction more quickly. How much all that affects actual cones is a complicated issue, but there is at least some theoretical difference. In the end, the real deciding factor is how the speaker sounds with the amp. And that's a matter of opinion, not physics.

User Info Menu

Dick, you always sound wonderful. I think you'd really like the raezer's edge luna if you ever get a chance to play one. To me, it's one step beyond the mambo in terms of warmth and character.

User Info Menu

Sounds great. I think you found the one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Sounds great. I think you found the one!
    O yeah. No doubt about it. Special thanks Mr. C!

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Dick, you always sound wonderful. I think you'd really like the raezer's edge luna if you ever get a chance to play one. To me, it's one step beyond the mambo in terms of warmth and character.
    Thanks Jack. I will have to find out where I can check out these amps over here. Will do!

DB

User Info Menu

Really great tone, I need an old hollowbody with a p90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    Really great tone, I need an old hollowbody with a p90
    Next to the 350, which is a tone monster indeed - I have a 125 as a reasonably priced vintage guitar with a P90 pick-up. Very good guitars.

DB