The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 116

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    OK, now that we've determined that Jim will be frozen solid and have mushrooms growing out of his face due Halifax hovering between -5 and +5 degrees C and either raining or snowing 365 days per year, except for 30 seconds of slightly of drier and warmer gloom on the summer solstice, perhaps we can also recommend him an amp that will sound terrible, weigh a ton, and maybe explode ...
    Or to celebrate the return to Canada, perhaps a Traynor.
    Lookng for a Canadian amp that will sound terrible, weigh a ton, and maybe explode?
    Definitely not a Traynor. Or a Garnet. A Tagus!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There's no winter in Victoria. I'm lucky we bought in several decades ago. What we paid wouldn't buy a decent chicken coupe here these days.

Jim: thanks for the Swopper. Still on it every day, and since The Bug landed I'm working from home and spending a lot more than guitar time on my ass. All the best to you and yours on the East Side!

BTW: I think Max's advice is really good for you. He sounds so great, and how much more portable can it get? The 'amp' may be little more than nostalgia.

User Info Menu

Halifax is on the same altitude as the south of France. We just spent two weeks there because of the weather.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Ampless in Canada? Could be worse...

Anybody know the original location of the phrase "eyeless in Gaza?" Milton's poem "Samson Agonistes" referring to the story of Samson in the Bible.

You're welcome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Right now we're just focused on whether we can make a life for ourselves here in Canada and we'll see if my wife, who spent the first 48 years of her life in California can make it through a Canadian winter in one piece.
    Please tell your wife that I am attempting to cancel winter across Canada for 2020-2021. Ski resorts and all other winter related recreational facilities will be exempt
    (I do have a heart). Small private snow removal companies are being advised to buy more landscaping and lawn care equipment.

On a serious note (pun is intended), I'm looking forward to hearing about your new amp (whenever you manage to get one).

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I like the tone Hideo Date gets out of his Milkman The Amp 50w and Raezer's Edge 6 cabinet.

Fwiw, I love my Milkman The Amp 50w. It's exceeded my expectations.

A Canadian amp that might be of interest to some here is Templo Devices. I've heard really good things about it. Lightweight, rechargeable, portable, affordable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MAJackson
    Fwiw, I love my Milkman The Amp 50w. It's exceeded my expectations.

A Canadian amp that might be of interest to some here is Templo Devices. I've heard really good things about it. Lightweight, rechargeable, portable, affordable.
    I must say that the tone in the video is exquisite. And thanks for the link to Templo. That's really interesting and at the price it has an attraction regardless of what else I do.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 08-02-2020 at 12:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    There's no winter in Victoria. I'm lucky we bought in several decades ago. What we paid wouldn't buy a decent chicken coupe here these days.

Jim: thanks for the Swopper. Still on it every day, and since The Bug landed I'm working from home and spending a lot more than guitar time on my ass. All the best to you and yours on the East Side!

BTW: I think Max's advice is really good for you. He sounds so great, and how much more portable can it get? The 'amp' may be little more than nostalgia.
    Glad you're enjoying the Swopper. It served me really well at a time of need.

I've been researching the modeling scene and it's really interesting. So much has happened since I was using my POD HD. Lots of attractive options at every price point.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 08-03-2020 at 05:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Halifax is near zero altitude. It is near the same latitude as southern France, but latitude is not the only factor influencing weather.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Halifax is near zero altitude. It is near the same latitude as southern France, but latitude is not the only factor influencing weather.
    ah, my mistake. I googled for a translation of the Dutch word for it. Latitude!

User Info Menu

0 degrees lat is the equator isn’t it?

Halifax is not equatorial. It is sea level so, yes, 0’ altitude. The weather is moderated by the Gulf Stream. It can get windy as the occasional hurricane/tropical storm blows itself out.

I’m interested in the GT001 and similar, but not too expensive alternatives to amps.

User Info Menu

I think Joe gives great advice.

I'm somewhat oldschool and feign pedals and other technogadets where the guitar is concerned, but I decided to give it a go. I wish it would make me play as well as he does!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Here's something you should try. Click on the link below. It will show you all of the homes available in Victoria today that are selling for $325,000 or less. Have a look at the listings and tell me how many of them are houses? How many of them have more than 1 bedroom? How many of them have more than 1 bathroom? How many of them have more than 800 square feet?

https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...0&Currency=CAD
    Yes, house prices are sky high in Victoria. My wife used to want to end up in Vancouver! You can't find an empty lot for less than a million there!

So maybe not inside Victoria city limits but somewhere in southern Vancouver island. I've been afraid to look and burst my dream bubble

OTOH, as much as I love Maritime Canada (last August (note morth!)) we holidayed in Newfoundland, winters are unacceptable to us.

And before the Okanagan, we lived in Ottawa (and my wife grew up in northern Saskatchewan). We are not leaving BC to live!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G

I’m interested in the GT001 and similar, but not too expensive alternatives to amps.
    The cheapest alternative: amplitube with an IRig (if going out to an amp), yes?

User Info Menu

Yes, house prices are sky high in Victoria. My wife used to want to end up in Vancouver! You can't find an empty lot for less than a million there!

So maybe not inside Victoria city limits but somewhere in southern Vancouver island. I've been afraid to look and burst my dream bubble

OTOH, as much as I love Maritime Canada (last August (note morth!)) we holidayed in Newfoundland, winters are unacceptable to us.

And before the Okanagan, we lived in Ottawa (and my wife grew up in northern Saskatchewan). We are not leaving BC to live!
    I don't think anywhere in BC that is worth living is in our budget. We have an offer in on a nice house here right now for $275k. It's a nice house in a good location in a good neighborhood and we could make it fabulous for about another $25k. The market here is very hot so there's no guarantee that we'll get it but it's a good example of what can still be done here. We're just going to have to embrace winter.

User Info Menu

2 words:

”ice storm”

User Info Menu

Jim, I miss the real winters even south of Finland used to have. Thanks to the climate change, the dark side of the Earth, (i.e. our latitudes in November-January) now deserves the name of Slushia.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    2 words:

”ice storm”
    I grew up in 40 below and had to go to school every day. Ice storm here? Fine. I'm retired. I'll stay home, play guitar and work out in the gym we plan on building in our basement.

User Info Menu

But if you're near Kewlona, BC isn't it pretty nice there?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    But if you're near Kewlona, BC isn't it pretty nice there?
    My wife wants a change of scenery. We also want to live near a bigger city.

User Info Menu

Anyone else have experience with iRig and amplitude? I’ve got one and used it twice. I don’t think I can work with it. I’d rather get a microcube, at least there’s a doable Roland JC in there I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Anyone else have experience with iRig and amplitude? I’ve got one and used it twice. I don’t think I can work with it. I’d rather get a microcube, at least there’s a doable Roland JC in there I believe.

I have one and tried it for about a month and gave up. Nothing sounded right.
    I have the Boss gt 001 that they are talking about here and it is really nice. Easy to use, and easy to dial up a good sound. The details are there too if you want to fine tune things. Lots of options for output including to amps, frfr speakers or just headphones.
    Good luck with the Cube, I went through that too. My opinion is that it just sounds small, sorry. ymmv as they say.
    Bill

User Info Menu

Ah! YouTube clips don’t seem to convey that fatal flaw in the microboss. Imho I did well getting the THR10c, although the 10 may have more jazz sounds. It’s multiplied my playing time but it looks most of the dudes here don’t need multiplying of playing time!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Ah! YouTube clips don’t seem to convey that fatal flaw in the microboss. Imho I did well getting the THR10c, although the 10 may have more jazz sounds. It’s multiplied my playing time but it looks most of the dudes here don’t need multiplying of playing time!

yes the Thr amps are great and they get a lot of love around here. I use one with my Boss gt by running stereo into the AUX input which skips the preamp so I just hear the Boss modeler. Very versatile

User Info Menu

I lived in Halifax for three years while pursing a second degree. Great city and if I didn't have certain commitments here in Vancouver I would have moved back to Halifax a few years ago. The winters are not too bad...the weather tends to change quite rapidly as opposed to setting in for weeks at a time. Nice people, very walkable. It's a good choice. Citadel Hill is lovely in the summer (um, but probably best to avoid at night).

Jim, if you're checking out gigs, keep an eye out for Gerald Beaton. He's the guy responsible for getting me into jazz. He's an awesome blues player too. And if you can catch Garrett Mason (he moved out of Hali but probably still attends for gigs at Bearley's from time to time), I highly recommend it...a great blues player and singer.

My Halifax pet peeves are that there is too much drunk driving, so be careful of that, and the airport is a royal pain to get to/from.

Edit: looks like they still do weekly Monday jazz at the Economy Shoe Shop (an eatery): The Economy Shoe Shop Cafe & Bar | Downtown Halifax ..check it out! the playing level was very high when I was last there in 2016 or so. Not really a jam but I think cats can sit in if they discuss with the band. If you dare...like I said, the level can be very high.