The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

i know this is a long shot but does anyone have any idea what gig bag would fit a gibson barney kessel?

I know this one fits (just barely) but is not my fave for protection...

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Lightweight-Polyfoam-Acoustic-GL-JUMBO/dp/B000LPOSDY

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have two of these and I really like them. The interior length on this version is 46", so you'd have to measure the BK. Lower bout 16-3/4", but I find that width-wise 17" archtops generally fit dreadnaught bags because the guitars are much narrower than dreadnaughts at the rim and the cases flex a bit. But the length can be an issue.

Gator G-PG ACOUSTIC ProGo Ultimate Gig Bag for Acoustic Guitar | Sweetwater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i know this is a long shot but does anyone have any idea what gig bag would fit a gibson barney kessel?

I know this one fits (just barely) but is not my fave for protection...

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Lightweight-Polyfoam-Acoustic-GL-JUMBO/dp/B000LPOSDY
    Jack, unless your gonna spend $300-500 for a custom made one, that’s the only one out there - that I could find anyway.
    I have the one you have and it suits my needs. I like the backpack straps which allows me to pull 2 large suit cases while I “wear” my gig bag.
    JD

User Info Menu

Maybe Blue Heron they have a super 400 that might fit despite being a bit wider

How to Order | Blue Heron Softshell Cases

User Info Menu

Classic Jumbo Acoustic Guitar Case, Black
    – MONO

Or is that one too small?
    Can't get much better protection than with a Mono case.

User Info Menu

Jack I bought a Reunion Blues Continental for my 16&1/2" Elferink Tonemaster archtop. It would easily fit your 17" BK.
    I think I paid under $200.and it's very heavy duty like a Mono bag.

Look on their website under Continental Dreadnaught bags.

User Info Menu

Hiya Jack. As jads57 points out, a Reunion Blues Continental might work. But it's that cool looking, elongated headstock that's the problem! It might fit but... I have a 1968 Greco copy of the Gibson Barney Kessel and I'm thinking the measurements are close. The Greco measures 3.75 deep (including PU depth and strings), 16.75 inches lower bout, 12.5 upper bout, and a whoppin' 43.5 inches (!!) from top to bottom (top of neck to bottom of strap pin). I also have an old Reunion Blues Continental bag and Greco BK barely fits from top of the headstock to the bottom of strap button. It's a tight fit but I can zip it all the way up. I wouldn't use the case for any serious transporting but for a grab-and-go gig, it's fine. It's a well-padded bag so it should protect the guitar. I saw on line that the RB Continental Voyager measures: Internal Length: 43 in
    Internal Upper Bout Width: 15 in
    Internal Lower Bout Width: 17 in
    Internal Depth: 3 in

You can squeeze the BK in, tight fit top to bottom, and you might not be able to carry much in the front pouch. If that's not your cup of tea, then you might look for something a bit longer and deeper -- if such a bag exists. (Damn that cool looking, elongated headstock!)

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Jack I bought a Reunion Blues Continental for my 16&1/2" Elferink Tonemaster archtop. It would easily fit your 17" BK.
    I think I paid under $200.and it's very heavy duty like a Mono bag.

Look on their website under Continental Dreadnaught bags.
    no, i have the continental for my 175 and the kessel does not fit.

User Info Menu

Bumme I thought it would. My Elferink has a longer headstock as well.

Bumme I thought it would. My Elferink has a longer headstock as well.
    I can actually stuff it in there but there is a lot of pressure on the end of the headstock which wouldn't be good if it took an impact

User Info Menu

I have a Mooradian bag for an L-5 and it's quite nice.
    Not sure if they are still making bags:
    Double Bass Covers, Gig Bags | Mooradian Cover Company

I also have a great bag for an L-5, made by Levy's - canvas with leather trim or all-leather($$$$).
    Their website is useless, and they were bought out by Gator awhile back, so I'm not sure if they still make it.

My guess is that either of these options, if available, is long enough for a BK. I can check with mine - what's the total length of the BK?
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-25-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone

Levy's also used to make a great bag for an L-5 - canvas with leather trim or all-leather($$$$).
    Their website is useless, and they were bought out by Gator awhile back, so I'm not sure if they still make it.

My guess is that either of these options, if available, are long enough for a Kessel.
    Thanks. The problem is that the kessel has the extra length on the headstock so a bag that fits an L5 isn't necessarily going to fit the kessel without additional pressure on the headstock. I'll check those out though.

User Info Menu

You can have the Glenn Cronkhite Co make you one. Glenn started Reunion Blues back in the day and then his own company but recently sold it and retired
    I have 2 older leather bags for an L-5, in fact I sent him the template back then. They're the absolute best bags and also available in cordura.
    btw, he insisted it wasn't a good idea to have much space around the headstock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone

I also have a great bag for an L-5, made by Levy's - canvas with leather trim or all-leather($$$$).

My guess is that either of these options, if available, is long enough for a BK. I can check with mine - what's the total length of the BK?
    Mooradian is kaput

User Info Menu

The MONO Jumbo bag has these dimensions :
    Internal Dimensions: 17” x 44” x 5” (43.2 x 111.8 x 12.7 cm)

So you can check with your guitar, easy.
    Jonathan Stout has written a report on his , uses it for his vintage L5 ....

User Info Menu

My gig bags (price-performance) for larger full-hollowbodies (17"+) are the Ritter RGS7 Super Jumbo: Ritter RGS7 Super Jumbo MGB – Thomann UK

Like most (former) violin players I like to put a cotton flannel cloth in the bag or case; it provides additional protection for carved instruments' plates, especially during the cold season. This bag allows to do so with my favorite 17.4" guitars. The BK does also fit in snugly - there's about one centimeter of space left lengthwise.

Compared to the Mono bag the Ritter has one serious drawback: it misses the supporting cushion for the neck.
    No problem for a DIY-mind: look for a separate cushion (can be found cheap at many places or cut from foam material), select the length that YOU like for the neck, put it between the Velcro neck fastener of the Ritter, and you're done.

User Info Menu

I have a lot of experience with body bags so when someone asks for a bag to fit "Barney Kessel" I really need to bite my tongue!

But good luck with your quest for a bag to fit "a Barney Kessel"

Sorry.

User Info Menu

Unless I missed it, you haven't told us the BK's total length. I know it's 25-1/2 scale and the headstock is pretty long.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Unless I missed it, you haven't told us the BK's total length. I know it's 25-1/2 scale and the headstock is pretty long.
    i'd tell you except I don't have one yet. Trying to buy back one of the ones I sold.

User Info Menu

as per an older thread here, I guess with its over sized head stock it was 44 inches long, why most cases fitting up to 42 or 43 hardly fit without adding pressure
    Last edited by vinlander; 07-26-2020 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

The total length of the older BK's (neck-to-body at 14th fret) is 43" (109cm).
    The length of identical looking bags varies often plus/minus 1/2", depending on the sewer.

User Info Menu

Well look at the good side Jack Z there aren't many gigs to go to any longer. So maybe a hard case is a good option,lol!

User Info Menu

Well look at the good side Jack Z there aren't many gigs to go to any longer. So maybe a hard case is a good option,lol!
    Yeah I bought a new high-end amp and haven't worried about getting a cover for it yet! It's just doing basement studio duty, nowhere to go. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

User Info Menu

Not cheap but these guys will make one for you. I had one and it was pretty nice.

probagwebstartscom

User Info Menu

Go custom with Blue Heron or Probag. Just gotta bite the bullet.

And thanks to vinlander and jim soloway for the links to these two makers. I was not aware of Blue Heron and had forgotten about Probag.