The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35
    probably won't go custom considering the few gigs there are out there. $120 for the Gator is probably the ticket...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That oversized headstock is real doozy to shop a gigbag for. Maybe find a sailmaker looking for a side gig to sew you one or modify the Gator by cutting the side and extending it with an elongated padded pocket?

That could work effectively but it won't look very "guitar fashion accessory" nice. Those $965 Collings hardshell tolex-plywood cases...(in my best Al Pacino) Hoo hah!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    That oversized headstock is real doozy to shop a gigbag for. Maybe find a sailmaker looking for a side gig to sew you one or modify the Gator by cutting the side and extending it with an elongated padded pocket?

That could work effectively but it won't look very "guitar fashion accessory" nice. Those $965 Collings hardshell tolex-plywood cases...(in my best Al Pacino) Hoo hah!!
    The gator jumbo fits fine. The issue is that that gig bag is not on the same level as levys or mono

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Maybe find a sailmaker looking for a side gig to sew you one
    I've done just that some 35 years ago when living in Amsterdam - as a seafaring nation the Dutch love their sailboats and sailmakers were not hard to find. Cost me around 250 Gilders , not cheap.....
    The market for gigbags back then was so small, Reunion Blues prohibitively expensive in Europe and it took another 25 years before China was able to supply the cheaper ones for the western market.
    BUT when you compare the level of actual protection that a modern MONO bag offers with sewn in plastic re-inforcement shieds, a tough rubber "shoe" on the bottom etc. to a simple padded stuff-bag (more or less like those they sell for rifles etc) there is just no contest and the price is quite ok for what you get. Couldn't think of any alternatives, really ....
    I'm lucky to have recieved my Trenier in a super-posh BAM (France) case which is light weight and still very strong so I have faith in it to withstand normal travel in cars, busses etc. where I don't have an eye on it. When I got my Super-400 I actually bit the bullet and had a custom fiberglass-case made by Accordcase so the original "California Girl" Lifton case stays at home. The extra expense hurt back then but is long forgotten.
    You can't have the cake and eat it, too - learned that a long time ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    The MONO Jumbo bag has these dimensions :
    Internal Dimensions: 17” x 44” x 5” (43.2 x 111.8 x 12.7 cm)

So you can check with your guitar, easy.
    Jonathan Stout has written a report on his , uses it for his vintage L5 ....
    These are very well made and have full support for the headstock which, IMHO, is critical. Bad photo. 17" I was working on fits with room to spare. 25" scale.

gig bag for barney kessel?-imgp6223-jpg

User Info Menu

Exactly. It's not just the neck support in the MONO, but the bag itself offers structural support and protection. Unlike most padded gig bags, you can't 'fold' a MONO bag. Compare it to the exoskeleton of some animals. It really works.

User Info Menu

So this is the Mono JUMBO bag. It's actually probably over large for a 1939 L-5 with a 25.5" scale. Even with the longer headstock, I think this would definitely fit your BK.
    gig bag for barney kessel?-monoopen-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    The gator jumbo fits fine. The issue is that that gig bag is not on the same level as levys or mono
    Hi Jack,
    The Gator Jumbo is really not bad. I like mine a lot. Of course, it doesnt matter what Gigbag you have, its not going to give you the protection that your case will. But, I dont really think the higher end bags will give you THAT MUCH more.. Seriously Jack. The Gator bag is good quality and a steal for the price. I dont mind taking my Solid Formed out with it. Just be careful and dont drop it. A little bump here and there will be no problem. Save your money bro.
    I will not hesitate to transport my L5 in the Gator bag.
    It will protect your Barney and it will be lightweight and you wont be breaking people's legs with it when you can get into a packed elevator once again.
    Go with the Gator. You really dont need any more.
    JD

User Info Menu

Jack, I have a closet full of gig bags a friend gave me that a few will fit archtops. I gave one to MarkRhodes.

I won't throw them away if you can tell me the measurements you need my Tal Farlow (17" lower bout x 42" length) fits (snugly) one made by Road Runner. IIRC the BK is similarly sized. I'll send it to you in you want it.

thanks Gary, I ended up buying one of kessel's back. I should have it late next week (crossing my fingers). I will measure it when it arrives.