The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

I‘ve heard good reviews of Baja Teles and 50‘s type Squiers. I guess they‘re good basic Tellys to start.
    If you surrender to the twang you‘ll find something better later...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Look into G&L they are excellent quality for the price made in USA!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick71
    Look into G&L they are excellent quality for the price made in USA!!
    The budget line of Tribute guitars are made in Asia. A USA built ASAT starts at $1450.

User Info Menu

the g&l asian made tributes are great bang for the buck!...very good qc...neck pockets are really well done...no loose necks

g&l also has the great mfd pickup...which was leo fenders baby...almost p-90 ish...great pup!

cheers

User Info Menu

Another G&L advocate here. Their custom shop quality at assembly line pricing is hard to beat. I've owned at least one or more of their Tele (and Strat) versions over the years, and have settled on a Korina solid body Blues Boy with a Duncan Phat Cat (humbucker sized P90) in the neck. It's not a CC, but as close as I'll ever get to that vibe. I've never tried one of G&L's Tribute line of imports, so there's that.

Try one and see if you prefer Fender, G&L or even others. It seems most builders include a Tele of some sort in their product line.

User Info Menu

I agree that they are great for the price. Or, at least they were. The last time I got a G&L was 2008. I got an ASAT Deluxe. A very nice guitar that I enjoy playing. However, I have no experience with more recent stuff they have made. If I was looking for that kind of guitar, I would certainly consider G&L

Thank you all for your excellent comments. I bought a sort-of partscaster: white-blonde Classic 50's Telecaster with a Baja tele maple neck. It came with home-made pickups I am replacing. I will have the finished product in a week or so. I will show you what it looks like and tell you how I think it sounds.

User Info Menu

That ^^^^ is a great choice I love the Baja neck and the 59 Classic body. Perfect.

I was coming here to point out the Baja in the For Sale section that looks really nice.

Congrats on what sounds like a great choice.I love Teles, there were stages when it is all I wanted to play. Got my first in a high school trade (in 1973 hence my used id) it cut through the mix of a loud teen age band quite nicely. That was my first impression.

User Info Menu

Try this thread for size. Squier jazz Tele with CC pickup

Jazz Tele Venture

User Info Menu

And just to whet one's appetite. ..

Telecaster - Best quality/value for the buck-download-jpg

Telecaster - Best quality/value for the buck-download-1-jpg

G&L USA ASAT and CC pickup. Limited Edition .

I really wanted one of those but they didn't cross the pond...

Ahwell, made my own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    And just to whet one's appetite. ..

Telecaster - Best quality/value for the buck-download-jpg

Telecaster - Best quality/value for the buck-download-1-jpg

G&L USA ASAT and CC pickup. Limited Edition .

I really wanted one of those but they didn't cross the pond...

Ahwell, made my own.
    Sweet!! Never knew G&L did a CC.
    Found this sold one on Reverb. I would NOT have been able to resist this.

User Info Menu

So the beauty as well as the problem, is the Tele is such an open platform on which to build your dream electric bolt on guitar
    It's a Hot Rodders Dream!

I have 3 different versions from fairly traditional ash,maple neck, black guard w 3 pickups, wider fatter neck, mini hum neck, etc

An Alder solidbody with comfort contours, SD Jazz neck humbucker, Warmoth Fatback Roasted Maple with Rosewood 1&11/16ths neck

Finally a modded G&L Asat Super Mahogany Semi Hollow with a Musikraft wide/fat neck, Vintage Vibe Asat Custom Humbuckers, Gotoh 510 tuners

Now I can't decide which one to play,LOL !

As previously mentioned, based on the excellent advice here, I bought a sort-of partscaster: white-blonde Classic 50's Telecaster with a Baja tele maple neck. I had Vintage Vibe CC pickups installed.

I really like how the guitar looks. The vintage white pickguard replaced a black one. The neck is ideal for me. And the pickups turned out even better than I hoped. I know Charlie Christian played an archtop. And nobody claims that CC pickups are exactly like the originals. But the sound is very much in that direction. It is thicker and fuller than with regular Tele pickups. Less of a range. But I can use the neck pickup without rolling back the tone. And I can even use the bridge pickup by itself. There is no icepick sound there. On a regular Tele, I would hardly ever use the bridge pickup alone for any type of music I play.

.Telecaster - Best quality/value for the buck-img_0878-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    As previously mentioned, based on the excellent advice here, I bought a sort-of partscaster: white-blonde Classic 50's Telecaster with a Baja tele maple neck. I had Vintage Vibe CC pickups installed.

I really like how the guitar looks. The vintage white pickguard replaced a black one. The neck is ideal for me. And the pickups turned out even better than I hoped. I know Charlie Christian played an archtop. And nobody claims that CC pickups are exactly like the originals. But the sound is very much in that direction. It is thicker and fuller than with regular Tele pickups. Less of a range. But I can use the neck pickup without rolling back the tone. And I can even use the bridge pickup by itself. There is no icepick sound there. On a regular Tele, I would hardly ever use the bridge pickup alone for any type of music I play.

.Telecaster - Best quality/value for the buck-img_0878-jpg
    Congrats. That‘s a Squire classic vibe body or did I‘ve mixed up something?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    Congrats. That‘s a Squire classic vibe body or did I‘ve mixed up something?
    The previous owner said it was an MIM Fender Classic 50s body. My research confirmed that to my satisfaction. I have played two or three Squires and I don't think this is that.

User Info Menu

Which CC pickup is that and did it come with the pickguard or did you have to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Which CC pickup is that and did it come with the pickguard or did you have to do it?
    Vintage Vibe CC pickup. It came with a pickguard I chose among a few options. You don't have to add the pickguard.

User Info Menu

How does one determine on which hemisphere a slab body was manufactured without a "made in..." label?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    How does one determine on which hemisphere a slab body was manufactured without a "made in..." label?
    Maybe they have DNA tests for Tele bodies? Seriously, I don't think it really matters - I see Tele necks and bodies advertised that I know were Chinese made but are advertised as Canadian wood. A lot of North American wood is exported (unfortunately) to the far east and comes back to us in finished form. I build most of my Tele bodies from (according to my supplier) African mahogany with curly/quilted maple tops from the U.S. so, what nationality are they, really?

User Info Menu

Vintage Vibe CC pickup. It came with a pickguard I chose among a few options. You don't have to add the pickguard.
    Thanks for the info! Didn't know Pete was providing pickguards. I really like his pickups and the CC shape is cool but cutting out that opening is a real challenge. Which magnets do you prefer? I usually order them with Alnico II installed and Alnico V as alternate but don't think I've ever used them - the II's sound great to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Thanks for the info! Didn't know Pete was providing pickguards. I really like his pickups and the CC shape is cool but cutting out that opening is a real challenge. Which magnets do you prefer? I usually order them with Alnico II installed and Alnico V as alternate but don't think I've ever used them - the II's sound great to me.
    Based on his recommendation, I also had Alnico II installed with V as an alternate. No reason to switch.

User Info Menu

Based on his recommendation, I also had Alnico II installed with V as an alternate. No reason to switch.
    Yep, AlNiCo II for me too.

User Info Menu

The previous owner said it was an MIM Fender Classic 50s body. My research confirmed that to my satisfaction. I have played two or three Squires and I don't think this is that.
    The Squiers are usually more straight grained...that definitely looks like an MIM classic to me.

I had one, sold it off when I downsized to 1 tele from 4...but it was a great guitar...

And now I just screwed together another tele and I'm looking for a white body to marry to the neck I took off the most recent...ah, tele modding...just when I thought I was out...