The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 72 of 72

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    These sound like a steal for $400

The only thing that makes me wonder about speakers like these is how the power is handled. There is an on/off switch in back. Obviously that needs to be "on" to get the speakers to function. Does that mean that you have to go up to it and switch them on and off? Might not be the most convenient thing to do depending upon the placement of the speaker. Can you turn it on and off with the remote? I didn't see info to say that is possible. Are these meant to stay on all the time and use phantom power?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    The only thing that makes me wonder about speakers like these is how the power is handled. There is an on/off switch in back. Obviously that needs to be "on" to get the speakers to function. Does that mean that you have to go up to it and switch them on and off? Might not be the most convenient thing to do depending upon the placement of the speaker. Can you turn it on and off with the remote? I didn't see info to say that is possible. Are these meant to stay on all the time and use phantom power?
    There is something called a sleep mode that can be accessed from the volume knob on the front of the right speaker. You push in the knob to actuate that mode. It’s also accessible from the remote. It just puts the electronics into a low power mode waiting for an audio signal from one of your source components. IIRC, it will then wake up in full power mode. Likewise, in the absence of an audio signal the system will eventually go into sleep mode. So there’s no need to access the on/off switch on the back on the right speaker for normal operations.

User Info Menu

So it relies on phantom power. Not the best thing for energy conservation. Unfortunately a lot of products and even surge protectors rely on it as well. Nice product otherwise though.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=lammie200;1051648]So it relies on phantom power. Not the best thing for energy conservation. Unfortunately a lot of products and even surge protectors rely on it as well. Nice product otherwise though.[/]

Yes. And, yes. In sleep mode the power demand is 4 W. Not too much on its own, but when you add up everything else in the house doing the same thing, I guess it could be equivalent to at least keeping a 60 watt incandescent light bulb on all the time.

User Info Menu

Now, now let’s not rain on the man’s parade. We’ve got new speakers for someone who never had them before. That’s a cause for celebration not all this talk of 60 watt bulbs and such.

User Info Menu

Now, now let’s not rain on the man’s parade. We’ve got new speakers for someone who never had them before. That’s a cause for celebration not all this talk of 60 watt bulbs and such.
    Absolutely agree with you! No guilty feeling allowed. Those are great speakers and I’m really happy that the OP purchased them. It was a very wise choice.

And, I would definitely be the poster child for overconsumption of electricity. I won’t even get into all the household appliances we own and run. I have tried to talk my wife into installing photovoltaic panels on the roof to reduce our carbon footprint but she’s too much of a pragmatist and doesn’t see any benefit from a financial perspective. I’m still lobbying for the panels and an e-vehicle. We shall see . . .

User Info Menu

All apologies. I have my share of phantom power suckers in my closet.

User Info Menu

These days almost every device that plugs into the wall uses power continuously, to some degree. TVs, cable boxes, receivers, pretty much everything now stays on so as to be able to awaken instantly when we want to use them. It's really difficult to find anything that doesn't stay on. My electric meter is smart enough to know what is using the electricity it monitors, and it turns out the highest consumer is "always on devices", at least most of the time. Sometimes in the summer the air conditioner is the hog, but not always. The two refrigerators are far below those. Mostly it's the myriad things you never think about, but which always use power.

User Info Menu

There is a section in Wikipedia about it. There are advantages and disadvantages. I think that one reason for the necessity is if there is a remote control involved and how quick a start up is desired. It is probably be difficult to juggle the two and a stand-by mode is the only viable solution.

Most appliances should be down to drawing 1 watt of continuous power. In California it is supposed to be 0.5 watts. I don’t know if that just applies to it what is made in CA, because I doubt that everything eligible to be imported into CA would meet that standard if it didn’t have to for shipment elsewhere. Older appliance may draw as much as 10-15 watts. Given that OP’s speakers are new I would imagine that they would draw very little.

User Info Menu

Well, I got the speakers yesterday and I didnt realize these weren't Bluetooth enabled.....the A5+ are but not the A5! Pissed!!!
    I Googled "difference A5 vs A5+" and everyone said "no remote control, essentially same speaker, etc."

They were bought used. Not sure if I can return them.

What do I need to buy to get these working.....a wireless receiver?

All very dumb on my part. I have no knowledge of such things and rushed the purchase. Ugh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Well, I got the speakers yesterday and I didnt realize these weren't Bluetooth enabled.....the A5+ are but not the A5! Pissed!!!
    I Googled "difference A5 vs A5+" and everyone said "no remote control, essentially same speaker, etc."

All very dumb on my part. I have no knowledge of such things and rushed the purchase. Ugh
    I’m sorry to hear about your situation. It would be worthwhile seeing if they can be returned and then getting the A5+ model. If not, AudioEngine does make a Bluetooth receiver: B1 Bluetooth Music Receiver — Audioengine. Not cheap but maybe you could find one on the used market. AudioEngine sells spare remotes but they indicate they are for the plus models. You could contact them to discuss compatibility. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Eisele
    I’m sorry to hear about your situation. It would be worthwhile seeing if they can be returned and then getting the A5+ model. If not, AudioEngine does make a Bluetooth receiver: B1 Bluetooth Music Receiver — Audioengine. Not cheap but maybe you could find one on the used market. AudioEngine sells spare remotes but they indicate they are for the plus models. You could contact them to discuss compatibility. Good luck!
    Looks like AudioEngine has refurbished Bluetooth receivers for sale: B1 Bluetooth Music Receiver (Refurbished) — Audioengine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66

Where did you buy them?

User Info Menu

Where did you buy them?
    Looks like they were purchased on Audiogon.com. Not sure from whom. Just looked up their return policy. Except for shipping damage and found to be not as described, the ability to return is based on the sellers policy and otherwise what can be negotiated. All should be done through Audiogons official channels in case there’s a dispute.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Eisele
    Looks like they were purchased on Audiogon.com. Not sure from whom. Just looked up their return policy. Except for shipping damage and found to be not as described, the ability to return is based on the sellers policy and otherwise what can be negotiated. All should be done through Audiogons official channels in case there’s a dispute.
    So no possible return. That sucks!

User Info Menu

So no possible return. That sucks!
    Not necessarily. Just depends on the sellers return policy and how flexible he is. At the very worst, the OP keeps AudioEngine 5 and buys the refurbished Bluetooth receiver. He can then use the volume control on the source device once he has set the volume on the speaker to some reasonable level. Seems like it would get very close to the features of the A5+.

User Info Menu

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. Been doing some work, work and trying to juggle some research you guys have passed along and inquired with seller. More later....

Thank you all again, really.

User Info Menu

If you have an Android device, a Chromecast Audio does a good job. You can cast from anything running a Chrome browser in addition to a phone. Audio quality is excellent. But a bluetooth receiver might be cheaper, if that's an issue. I received mine as a gift, and I prefer it to the Sony bluetooth receiver I have. Once you start casting, you can use the device for anything else, or even turn it off, the Audio streams directly from the internet over wifi once started.

User Info Menu

Here's a retro-looking thing. Brings me back to my childhood. Love the green one.

Trexonic Turntable, Color: Black - JCPenney

Trexonic Turntable, Color: Turquoise - JCPenney

Audiophiles - Stereo help/guidance-turntable-jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I had a pair of decent small Sony stereo speakers from years ago - rated 100w each. Bought a small (3"x4") 50x50 watt class 'D' amp board with bluetooth and volume control from Amazon for $16.99. Power it with a 5 amp, 24 V power supply (also from Amazon - $19, I think). I can use it with my phone or the laptop with my Reaper DAW. Sometimes it's nice to use instead of headphones. Certainly not 'audiophile' quality but it serves my purposes just fine. Wish I'd gotten the 100x100 but this works OK for me.
    Audiophiles - Stereo help/guidance-class-d-jpg
    Last edited by Skip Ellis; 08-08-2020 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add photo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I had a pair of decent small Sony stereo speakers from years ago - rated 100w each. Bought a small (3"x4") 50x50 watt class 'D' amp board with bluetooth and volume control from Amazon for $16.99. Power it with a 5 amp, 24 V power supply (also from Amazon - $19, I think). I can use it with my phone or the laptop with my Reaper DAW. Sometimes it's nice to use instead of headphones. Certainly not 'audiophile' quality but it serves my purposes just fine. Wish I'd gotten the 100x100 but this works OK for me.
    Audiophiles - Stereo help/guidance-class-d-jpg
    I was lost on the second sentence, ha. I really dont know what all that stuff is, but I will research it.