The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 72

User Info Menu

Ok. Apologies for late response and lack of clarity in post. Was unaware that the term "audiophile" was so specific and not a general term or description for folks who have some interest/knowledge in stereo equipment.

So, with that said, audiophiles can now turn off notifications for this post.

For everyone else, here are additional criteria:
    It's for a reasonably small room, budget is under $400, amount of time devoted to research is less than a couple of hours.

Thanks for all the replies!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    It's for a reasonably small room, budget is under $400
    * C/D player
    * A few speakers
    * turntable
    * the ability to link phone or other device to

I found those quickly at Amazon...

$100 - turntable with built-in phono EQ
    $100 - pair of powered speakers, includes speaker wire and two shielded interconnects (use one for the CD player, other for the turntable)
    $20 - portable CD player plugged into the AUX of the powered speakers

or

$280 - Complete system
    $26 - CD player with USB (play through your phone wireless through the system speakers)

User Info Menu

Teac MCD800B 20-watt Turntable System with AM/FM/CD/Wireless Technology in Black

link is valid
    Sorry! Something went wrong!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Teac MCD800B 20-watt Turntable System with AM/FM/CD/Wireless Technology in Black

link is valid
    Sorry! Something went wrong!
    Yes, Bflat mentioned this earlier in the post. The good news was it was on sale and the bad news is that it was out of stock.
    Thanks, CG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    * C/D player
    * A few speakers
    * turntable
    * the ability to link phone or other device to

I found those quickly at Amazon...

$100 - turntable with built-in phono EQ
    $100 - pair of powered speakers, includes speaker wire and two shielded interconnects (use one for the CD player, other for the turntable)
    $20 - portable CD player plugged into the AUX of the powered speakers

or

$280 - Complete system
    $26 - CD player with USB (play through your phone wireless through the system speakers)

Thank you!
    How or can you adjust equalization?
    Nice and simple, thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Thanks for that, really made me LOL. Here's the most remote corner of my living room. Note the doily that wife placed over the platter:

Audiophiles - Stereo help/guidance-victrola-jpg

User Info Menu

How or can you adjust equalization?
    Most powered speakers seem to have at least rudimentary EQ controls. My phone also allows for changing the EQ for casting through the Home app.

User Info Menu

If you are not an audiphool and are not into imaging, soundstage, 3-dimensionality of the singer's chest, and all that audiophoolery, simplify your life, get a Harman/Kardon Aura Studio+, stick it in a corner and stream music to it. It is completely anti-thetical to the audiophool ethos but heck, I enjoy my music much more nowadays than in those-strap-yourself-in-the-hot-seat-don't-move-an-inch multi-multikilo buck audiophool days of 16 6550s, 8 per channel, monoblok tube amps.

If you want to get a pair-and who doesn't?-check out the Audio Engine powered loudspeakers.

Getting a turntable is going down The Rabbit Hole.

I got my Krells, Audio Research Corp, Spectral Audio stuff mothballed and I don't think I will ever unbox them again. They probably don't work and I don't want to sell them because if I do I will buy them all over again. It was the high point of folly and financial irresponsibility. I keep them as a reminder of my cyclothymic disorder folly. Don't go down that Rabbit Hole.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat
    TEAC MCD800B 20-watt Turntable System with AM/FM/CD/Wireless Technology in Black

I bought this unit a few years ago. Easy to link Bluetooth from phone/IPad. Sounds decent in a small room and takes up little space. On sale for half of what I paid ?
    Here's a similar thing, probably not great quality though, but who knows.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trexonic-...kers/921670402

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    If you are not an audiphool and are not into imaging, soundstage, 3-dimensionality of the singer's chest, and all that audiophoolery, simplify your life, get a Harman/Kardon Aura Studio+, stick it in a corner and stream music to it. It is completely anti-thetical to the audiophool ethos but heck, I enjoy my music much more nowadays than in those-strap-yourself-in-the-hot-seat-don't-move-an-inch multi-multikilo buck audiophool days of 16 6550s, 8 per channel, monoblok tube amps.

If you want to get a pair-and who doesn't?-check out the Audio Engine powered loudspeakers.

Getting a turntable is going down The Rabbit Hole.

I got my Krells, Audio Research Corp, Spectral Audio stuff mothballed and I don't think I will ever unbox them again. They probably don't work and I don't want to sell them because if I do I will buy them all over again. It was the high point of folly and financial irresponsibility. I keep them as a reminder of my cyclothymic disorder folly. Don't go down that Rabbit Hole.
    Harman Kardon / JBL started as an engineering based company and are still a safe bet, the antithesis of the audiophool company. Their 305 active speakers are excellent, Revel (same group) makes some of the best speakers in the world, some costing under $1000/pair.

User Info Menu

I love vintage Marantz amps. You can find them used for a couple of hundred dollars. You'll need to add speakers, turntable and a nice bluetooth receiver.
    Attached Images Attached Images Audiophiles - Stereo help/guidance-marantz-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    looks like a modern day popcorn maker!

User Info Menu

I agree with Jabberwocky. AudioEngine is your best bet for powered loudspeakers which will be the heart of your system. Look for used on Audiogon.com or Reverb.com. Same for the turntable and CD player. Look for a used Pro-ject turntable with a tonearm and mounted cartridge and a used NAD CD player on both sites. And buy a used or new Schiit (sounds like what you think it is) passive preamp called the Sys (Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California) to switch between the two source components. A friend has basically the same exact system except he has an old Technics TT instead of the Pro-ject and I have heard it on many occasions. You won’t be disappointed.

User Info Menu

Ha, as I knew it would happen, I've started to do more research than I wanted or had planned to do thanks to all of the wonderful replies. To be honest, if that first recommendation that Bflat had made was still available at that sale price I just wouldve pulled the trigger, but it wasn't so I started searching using everyones guidance.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but will post when I do.

Thanks people of earth.....

User Info Menu

Check out Steve Guttenberg's audiophiliac u-tube channel. Good info and he rates whole systems at different price points - some very low.

User Info Menu

DMgolf66, a budding audiophile. Ha!

User Info Menu

Ha, I dont know about that. When I saw speaker cables for $6,000 I knew I could avoid the deep dive.

I ordered these used as a starting point. Will fill in with a turntable and CD player, etc. For my little guitar room it should be great.

I will post more as I get it.
    Thanks everyone!

User Info Menu

Audiophiles - Stereo help/guidance-screenshot_20200731-181652_samsung-internet-jpg

User Info Menu

Bamboo, now that’s unusual. Can’t wait to hear them !

User Info Menu

hey, you stepped up nicely...well done

cheers

User Info Menu

I disregard those $6k high dollar cables too. Truth is I believe most audiophiles do. One can get very decent cables for a hundred dollars. Save your money and spend it on a decent turntable and cartridge combo.

User Info Menu

These sound like a steal for $400

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Eisele
    I agree with Jabberwocky. AudioEngine is your best bet for powered loudspeakers which will be the heart of your system. Look for used on Audiogon.com or Reverb.com. Same for the turntable and CD player. Look for a used Pro-ject turntable with a tonearm and mounted cartridge and a used NAD CD player on both sites. And buy a used or new Schiit (sounds like what you think it is) passive preamp called the Sys (Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California) to switch between the two source components. A friend has basically the same exact system except he has an old Technics TT instead of the Pro-ject and I have heard it on many occasions. You won’t be disappointed.
    A used Pro-ject. Now that’s sage advice indeed!