The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

probably not your typical idea of a benson tribute guitar!!..from luthier jens ritter...here's the scoop

The Benson Tribute

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not what I was expecting. Sounds nice enough.

User Info Menu

Expensive Enough too!

User Info Menu

I love Jens and his guitars. He's hilarious, they're hilarious, the folks who buy them love them - it's all good!

User Info Menu

I've never seen anyone on any video or live gig play any of Jens Ritters guitars. Except for NAMM or website ,who actually uses one,or can afford one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I've never seen anyone on any video or live gig play any of Jens Ritters guitars. Except for NAMM or website ,who actually uses one,or can afford one?
    Rich guys! Jens has done quite well for himself with rich guys.

User Info Menu

Jens has found a niche for his products and caters to a small but VERY affluent clientele who buy his guitars not for the stage (i.e. actually making music with them) but for display in their playrooms - he is not alone with that "buisiness-plan" :
    I have only ever seen 2 pro's actually using a Monteleone archtop on stage , Anthony Wilson and Paul Ricci. Never seen a Teuffel in action except in the hands of David Torn in an older video and the guy in the Cologne Radio Bigband occaisionally pulls one out.
    When you look at the many many high-$$ acoustic steelstrings (all above the 10/15 grand mark) it's even more apparent. These luthiers do push the envelope but with these prohibitive prices it takes a loooong time until the effect of their innovations etc. is noticeable in less expensive instruments. At least that's been my observation over the years, YMMV.
    The Ritter guitars I've seen at shows here in Mannheim were beautiful to look at but nobody actually played them.....

IIRC there were weavers/textile artisans in Japan as far back as the 17th century who would work on a single Kimono garment for over a year before it was completed and delivered to the high castle - so the concept is all but new.

User Info Menu

not so fast!

phil lesh with his jens ritter eye of horus bass

cheers

User Info Menu

I think Phil Lesh is a RICH GUY,lol! I always find it funny things that cater to just the rich and affluent, no matter the product.

From strictly a functional point they usually are not better instruments or even clothes,etc. They are more ornate and usually bespoke,handmade.
    While a Super 400 Gibson was expensive it also had a specific tonal sound say vs the lowly ES-175. And in that I get the price difference and choice.

But what's the point of any tool or car,etc if it's not fulfilling it's main purpose?
    Bragging Rights? And if so please count me out as a musician.
    The funniest of these is how much CS Fender Relics go for new $7k And really it defeats the purpose of Leo Fenders design and intention.

User Info Menu

I think Phil Lesh is a RICH GUY,lol! I always find it funny things that cater to just the rich and affluent, no matter the product.
    From strictly a functional point they usually are not better instruments or even clothes,etc. They are more ornate and usually bespoke,handmade.
    While a Super 400 Gibson was expensive it also had a specific tonal sound say vs the lowly ES-175. And in that I get the price difference and choice.
    But what's the point of any tool or car,etc if it's not fulfilling it's main purpose?
    Bragging Rights? And if so please count me out as a musician.
    The funniest of these is how much CS Fender Relics go for new $7k And really it defeats the purpose of Leo Fenders design and intention.
    Well, it's a big tent. It's dead easy to put together or buy a plank guitar for under $1,500 that is every bit the equal of any Fender Custom Shop plank guitar. Careful shopping can get one there for under $1,000. And there are plenty of options for much less, mostly from a variety of makers located in the Far East.

Plenty of accessible options exist for those seeking performance, or brand halo and performance, bragging rights, cheapskate satisfaction, and pretty much any other kind of gratification.

When it comes to archtops, the same applies, although I think the cost of entry for excellent acoustic archtop guitar sound is much higher, and the selection is much lower.

User Info Menu

i hear you j57...but unlike a tele..where you have the choice in going from custom shop to squier bullet...the ritters are unique...the grateful dead played the egyptian pyramids, and lesh was no doubt attracted to the eye of horus shape...if he has the $$$ why not?...could say the same about guys with 20 archtops!

cheers

User Info Menu

Some of the guitars and basses he had in his stall were clad in SILK fabric, CLEARLY not meant to be handled without gloves and/or when you're in your jeans with metal zippers, buttons, what have you .... struck me as if these were not musical instruments intended to be played but rather exclusive show pieces destined for display cases, very much like these excessively inlaid and ornamented Martin and Gibson steelstrings with pricetags above the 50 grand mark.... there IS a market but I'm not in it, nor will I ever be.

User Info Menu

Being the rotgut swilling bottom dweller that I am, I always look at resale value before I commit to buy anything new. I have seen two Jens Ritter guitars for sale used at Rebel Guitars. Let's just say that even I could afford to buy them used at those prices. Brand new? Out of my bush league. I will let the rich guys have at them first...which is how those Youtube fellows got their hands on a Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Porsche, McLaren; Ferraris, apparently, have decently good resale..like a Gibson guitar, I guess.

Besides, it has a maple fretboard and uncle Benson has never been seen playing a maple fretboard guitar. But I stand to be corrected.