The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 99 of 99

User Info Menu

I’ve seen some music videos where the guitarist plays a strat. Blasphemy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I've seen several junior big band videos where the guitarist plays a Strat. Blasphemy!
    yeah, Jesus. They should be using a telecaster. N00bs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I've seen several junior big band videos where the guitarist plays a Strat. Blasphemy!
    Yes BUT they are playing big band music!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    Yes BUT they are playing big band music!
    At the school where I teach, a few years ago or guitarist used an sg. That was the worst. The next guitarist switched between a bright yellow Les Paul and flat top and classical. (Side note she got a full scholarship to study classical guitar in university).

User Info Menu

Pet peeve was when I used solidbody Fenders for a dozen years in big bands and the band and I thought they sounded great, but some guitarists in the peanut gallery couldn't accept the looks despite the great sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Pet peeve was when I used solidbody Fenders for a dozen years in big bands and the band and I thought they sounded great, but some guitarists in the peanut gallery couldn't accept the looks despite the great sound.
    Unfortunately people tend to listen with their eyes as much (sometimes even more) than their ears. Guitarists seem particularly prone to this.

User Info Menu

When people (men that is - I've never heard a woman do this) refer to guitars as 'she'.
    There is one Facebook acoustic guitar group that I am a member of and some of the comments are just downright creepy sometimes. Like 'what a gorgeous lady' and 'she feels so good under my fingers' etc. I'm occasionally tempted to re-post these comments beneath them only with the 'she' turned to 'he' - they would then read as intensely homoerotic and it'd be funny to see what the original posters would make of them, but I'd probably get accused of trolling or 'political correctness' or something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I use a carved archtop, a 335, or a solid body with my big band. Yeah,sometimes I struggle to get a thunky enough sound with my Tele, but when taking two choruses on The Chicken or playing Uptown Funk rhythm and then a long solo, a loud R&B sound is the way to go. Solid bodies make so much sense for a large part of a modern big band's repertroire.

User Info Menu

Case candy.

User Info Menu

Having to play louder than necessary for absolutely no reason whatsoever just because the drummer is too loud. You wouldn't think that the drumkit has (probably?) the widest dynamic range of all band instruments. I hate it and has seriously put me off playing gigs (in the good old days...). I mean don't get me wrong, being loud definitely has it's place but why can't we build up the volume throughout the first set and so take the audience with you on the journey (that sounds like a crap sentence but you get what I mean). Plus as soon as you have to play loud all the dynamics disappear and the tone almost always suffers (for sax also)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Case candy.

Lol, you mean the term?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Milton
    When people (men that is - I've never heard a woman do this) refer to guitars as 'she'.
    There is one Facebook acoustic guitar group that I am a member of and some of the comments are just downright creepy sometimes. Like 'what a gorgeous lady' and 'she feels so good under my fingers' etc. I'm occasionally tempted to re-post these comments beneath them only with the 'she' turned to 'he' - they would then read as intensely homoerotic and it'd be funny to see what the original posters would make of them, but I'd probably get accused of trolling or 'political correctness' or something.
    Guilty as charged: "treat her right and she's my lady; slap her around and she's my dirty girl".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Bass player decides that the signal for him to start a new career playing trombone lines in outer space.
    Inspired

User Info Menu

Someone who is building you something to an exact, common, world-wide industry standard, but wants you to measure your piece anyway, assuming you own digital calipers or a mic - -which you neither have nor know how to use.......

...So, after you impose on the neighborhood engineer and get overly correct readings and measurements, they're not coming out correct because of course, for example - a ' two-by-four' isn't '2 x 4'.......

...then after all that tap-dancing, the builder / fabricator says " Never mind- - that's about what I figured - -we're close enough "........

User Info Menu

Crash cymbals at exact level and angle to deafen me with each “crash”.

Truss rods that do nothing.

Amps that go from 0db to 100db with the first 2 clicks of the Volume knob.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender
    Have you watched the Jimmy Bruno video were he's sitting on his porch with his "JB Sadowsky". The guitar is a mess and the ashes from his cigarette keep landing on it! I wanted to say something but I didn't. To me it showed 0% respect to the builder of that beautiful guitar.
    I own that guitar. A close friend of mine took lessons from Jimmy for years. For some reason Jimmy wanted to sell the two signature JB Sadowskys that he had. My friend let me know about it and I bought both of them. One was close to new and came with a hard shell case. The other was the one that you see in all of the videos and the cover of some of his albums. It came with a Mooradian gig bag.

When I got the guitars the "seasoned" guitar sounded better than the newer one. But boy did it smell like an ashtray. It took me months and alot of effort to get rid of the smell. But it was worth it. The guitar was apparently the first one Sadowsky gave to Jimmy. It was made in 2005 and it plays great and sounds so big for such a comfortable instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Lol, you mean the term?
    The term is annoying but only for what it reveals. But the current obsession with keeping the guitar
    as if it were new, with all its paperwork, is just weird. Look at this advertisement:

This guitar you are bitting [sic] on was my very first guitar I bought to learn on but the one I played the least. I bought it in 2011 with the plastic protection on the pick-guard and back electrics cover(still seen on the back white cover). I ended up playing more on a cheap acoustic guitar to avoid damaging this one. Comes with all the original stickers, owners booklet, strap and others. Production year: 2009 or early 2010.

He was too frightened of damaging his Strat to play it (yet still he managed to mark it). He could have enjoyed nine years of using his guitar, but he was more concerned with keeping all the labels and leaflets.

Having said that,
    I am an historian and I like ephemera. If owners maintain this rigorous habit of preservation, future historians will have much to savour.

And then there are relics.

Guitarist who play walking bass lines when they comp for me. I don't like it at all, I rather play on my own. Don't get me wrong it can be nice for a few bars but not all the time. If a guitarist is doing a walking bass line it's not even comping any more, just an excuse not to pay any attention to my playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I played a few festival gigs over the years in a quintet with a pretty well known trumpet virtuoso who had only ever heard me playing a Gibson archtop. He was then called in to guest with a big band I played with. He did a perfect double take when he walked on stage and saw me sitting with a Strat. - he plays guitar so knew the difference. But it was a loud band and very heavy on the brass, including bass trombone and there were some 'modern' funk charts (with wah-wah). So what are ya gonna do? I tend to use what I think will best suit the gig; maybe I'm just too lazy to carry 2 or 3 guitars onstage.

I know. Wah-wah. I'll get my coat...

User Info Menu

I organize sessions to work on charts. I've done it for years. I have a book with a lot of material that even pro players find challenging, so I can get some pretty good players to come down.

Now and then, somebody will let me know at 10:30pm they can't make it at 11am the next day. Giving me just about no chance of getting a sub.

That's not the pet peeve. The pet peeve is excuses like "it's my daughter's 18th birthday". You just found out when her birthday is? "We have tickets to Hamilton". You had to buy those 18 months ago, why didn't you tell me sooner?

That sort of thing.

And, it hangs up the entire group.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    I played a few festival gigs over the years in a quintet with a pretty well known trumpet virtuoso who had only ever heard me playing a Gibson archtop. He was then called in to guest with a big band I played with. He did a perfect double take when he walked on stage and saw me sitting with a Strat. - he plays guitar so knew the difference. But it was a loud band and very heavy on the brass, including bass trombone and there were some 'modern' funk charts (with wah-wah). So what are ya gonna do? I tend to use what I think will best suit the gig; maybe I'm just too lazy to carry 2 or 3 guitars onstage.

I know. Wah-wah. I'll get my coat...
    Wah-wah's fine. Just play a tele.

User Info Menu

Of course if you play a tele for the big band gig, you get shit and dirty looks because horn players are mentally challenged.

But you can get a perfectly good big band rhythm tone on one. Most bands play too loud anyway, so meh.

And there's the inevitable Maynard chart that calls for rock guitar.

I suppose that's why 335's are so popular. But I believe we should challenge these prejudices head on (funnily enough I don't get many calls these days.... ;-))

User Info Menu

People that show up at crowded open mics or jams with untrimmed, uncoiled, guitar strings dangling off the guitar tuning machines. Just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

User Info Menu

Hot Club bassists that don't play like Louis Vola.