The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 99

User Info Menu

Sharp string ends sticking up out of tuner posts that poke your fingers and make you bleed, usually right before the set starts.

Every tuner should have a split post like old fender Telecasters and Stratocasters and my Ibanez GB 10. Then I can poke the sharp end down inside and have a nice clean look as well. And the string ends don't tear up the inside of my gig bags, then, either.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Intonation on a Telecaster.
    Six saddle bridge. Done. The three saddle bridge was just not a good idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Six saddle bridge. Done. The three saddle bridge was just not a good idea.
    Even though, six saddles, six springs, 12 screws... not the best thing in the market

User Info Menu

Most of the things that bug you guys don't bug me...I guess I'm just a mellow guy...

What does bug me a bit is sticky necks on guitars. Especially my go-to ES-135, which has the Gibson sticky neck problem. I took some steel wool and mineral spirits to it a few years ago, but regretted it, as it made some fine scratches I had to buff out. It's something I just live with.

I'm not currently messing with any guitars, but my real pet peeve is changing electronics. I can't believe in the 2020's we are still dealing with soldered connections and accessing everything through a pickup route or F-hole--using fishing line or whatnot to put components into place. All electronics should have plugs for easy change out. And I'd be for an access door on the back for thinlines especially.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Singers that show up w a list of tunes in wacky keys but no charts.

Singers who show up w no mics.

Singers that call a key and the band starts and they say "a little higher, no, a little lower"

Singers!
    We have had some very good singers. Our current singer, with whom we rehearsed with last night, is just a pro. He could sing for any group in town--why he sings with us I'll never know. Oh yeah, we're the only guys who LIKE to play the Frank Sinatra songbook, and we don't step on his singing.

I use the iRealbook on my iPad regularly and of course can transpose any song to any key. It's more problematic for the piano guy who plays from paper charts. But he seems to have a book for everything--low voice Realbook, etc.

It does bug me a little that when we have another singer--usually lady--sit in for us, she wants to sing in some weird key halfway across the scale. And then we go back to our usual guy, and it's not in the right key...

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Women who would rather date bass players and drummers.
    As my dad would have said, son, you're better off just letting her go, if she don't have sense enough to know not to date a bass player or drummer.

User Info Menu

I'm just back from four days of camping and it's mosquito bites for me. Despite repellent and wood smoke, I'm covered with them itchy thangs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPG
    Even though, six saddles, six springs, 12 screws... not the best thing in the market
    My pet peeve with the Tele bridge is the sharp edges around the bridge plate and the way some have screws sticking up.

On the other hand, the G&L saddle lock bridge is very comfy.

User Info Menu

Here's another pet peeve for me. Bad cables (or leads as Ddew919 noted.) It seems most cables will go out sooner or later so you have to carry extras to the gigs. By the time you add up the guitar cable, stomp box cable, mic cable, speaker cables, power boxes, extension cords etc., -- you have six or more cables. But it doesn't stop there -- you have to carry backups for each leaving you with better than a dozen cables being lugged to the gig. Sure, many cables have a lifetime guarantee, but it doesn't do much good when they go out on you at a gig, huh? Rather than offering lifetime guarantees, I'd rather see them put their effort toward more robust cables.
    Last edited by archtopeddy; 07-24-2020 at 10:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Bug or Feature:

Amp power cables which plug into the amp at one end and the wall at the other.

I carry an extra in my car.

I've been on gigs where players forgot that cable.

Pet Peeves:

A player hands out a chart. The chart may be perfectly playable as is (or not). In any case, the guy then starts making verbal corrections. I now complain after three. You were home earlier today. Make a new chart and bring it with you. Or mark up the copies you brought so that they're correct. Otherwise, people are going to forget the instructions and screw up the tune, unnecessarily.

We play a tune in rehearsal. I make pencil marks on the chart to make it easier to read later. At the gig, the leader hands out a new chart. Not only do I have to read a chart I've never seen before but I no longer have the pencil marks I made to help get through the original one. Invariably, we don't play the tune as well as in rehearsal, but, next gig, the same guy does it again.

Maybe this is my biggest pet peeve.

Band plays a song badly. Someone says, "okay that was fine" and they're not joking.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 07-24-2020 at 07:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I'll just mention two, of many.

Musicians who display "error alert face". Since I hear everything, they always look to me for confirmation that I heard it too, and I have to come up with new (to the audience) subtle "looks" which acknowledge and relieve the face maker's alert without further broadcasting that someone (not me) made a mistake. These are typically tiny mistakes below the threshold of audience detection, so the whole incident actually looks indiscernible from what you might observe if someone (not me) farted during a song...

Musicians that (through no fault of their own) have no "orchestral" experience and no concept of dynamics.

User Info Menu

Musicians that aren't ready to play when rehearsal begins.
    Musicians that don't have their music organized.
    In general, musicians that waste other's time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Musicians that aren't ready to play when rehearsal begins.
    Musicians that don't have their music organized.
    In general, musicians that waste other's time.
    I don't know why, but half the bass players I have played with have their charts randomly stuffed into a pile, not organized in any discernible fashion, and have to spend it two or three minutes between every tune locating the next chart.

I suppose this is why people (me, for one) should memorize the damn repertoire. I guess that's the next pet peeve: people like me who don't just know the songs!
    Last edited by Cunamara; 07-25-2020 at 10:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Guitarists who think that because it has frets they can play it. I play mandolin and banjo and bass. I learned all instruments. The strumming, the picking, the dynamic response, is different on all of them. Nothing worse than a mandolin played like a guitar except a banjo played like a guitar. You want to be a multi instrumentalist. Great! Go and learn. Some skills are transferable. But not all are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

"Your device ran into a problem and must restart...."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Dirty guitars.
    Have you watched the Jimmy Bruno video were he's sitting on his porch with his "JB Sadowsky". The guitar is a mess and the ashes from his cigarette keep landing on it! I wanted to say something but I didn't. To me it showed 0% respect to the builder of that beautiful guitar.

User Info Menu

Everything! Now get the He'll off my Lawn!!!

User Info Menu

I've got a couple more.

I start dropping the volume to add some drama - through quietness - to my solo. The drummer is oblivious. I signal to him, palm down, descending hand, and he gets a tiny bit quieter, but he isn't really paying any attention to the volume I'm playing out and drowns out what I'm doing. Not only drummers, but, most often, drummers.

Soloists playing groove based music who don't solo with respect to the pattern of the groove. So, you're playing samba or funk or baiao and the solo is a syncopated swing solo which consistently crosses the groove.

Guys at a jam who talk so much other players feel they have to be rude (STFU) or suffer through it.

Charts which contain random numbers of bars per line, even when the tune has oddball phrase lengths. Then, on page 2, half of it is blank. Use of hashmarks with multiple bars (to indicate playing the same thing as before) with complicated lines, odd phrase lengths and random numbers of bars per line.

In fact, generally, charts that aren't really wrong, but are the opposite of user friendly.

User Info Menu

Only happened once or twice.

Start of gig. Saxophonist doesn't want a tuning note. He says, "I'll tune while I play".

Then, the very first chorus of the first tune of the night is horribly out of tune, until this guy gets his horn together. Bad first impression on the club owner and the audience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Only happened once or twice.

Start of gig. Saxophonist doesn't want a tuning note. He says, "I'll tune while I play".

Then, the very first chorus of the first tune of the night is horribly out of tune, until this guy gets his horn together. Bad first impression on the club owner and the audience.
    Not a pet peeve, but reminds me of one of my gigs...

We got to an out-of-town gig with minutes to spare, jumped up stage, set up in record time, moved up to the mic and started counting off the song when I hear a muffled but urgent "huhh, huhh" sound next to me. I look over, and instead of his sax at the ready, my sax man has a jumbo hamburger held up to his mouth!

All I could do was bust out laughing!

User Info Menu

When people start playing so loud that I can't hear myself, I stop playing. Many don't even notice...oh well.

User Info Menu

Guitar makers who perch volume and tone knobs right on the edge of 'F' holes and seemingly, have not the slightest grasp of spacial issues. Some big culprits out there.

User Info Menu

NNS.. Narrow Nut Syndrome..
    Anything less than 1 3/4 " is, for me, unplayable and a deterrent to purchase.

Jr. High school woodworking failed finishes passed off as violin vintage. No, it is sloppy workmanship.
    Excusable in a 12 yr old, not excusable for a major maker. A deterrent to purchase.

Audiences who clap and have no clue as to timing and rhythm. It is disrespectful to all.

The "Yo Yo Ma Syndrome".
    Stage gyrations not exhibited by same before he became famous.
    Now it is standard stage presentation for many musicians, feigned nirvana...... ergo the Yo Yo Ma Syndrome.

It is a learned affectation which has zip all to do with the listener, viewer/audience, and , in my case, a complete turn off.
    This applies to guitarists, accordeonists, cellists and kazooists.

Those who own, but do not play, fine instruments.
    Applause to those who do play them such as Anthony Wilson.

Performers who wear shorts.

Cheap wood passed off as "tonewood " and used in many signature/endorsed guitars. Ibanez as an example.

User Info Menu

Not a peeve.. just is what it is.. but wish jazz were easier to do well.

User Info Menu

Jazz guys who base their judgements on other players by where and who they studied with.

People I’ve heard disparaged as not being ‘jazz guys’ by other ‘jazz guys’.

Mike stern.
    Antonio Sanchez
    Wayne shorter.
    Esperanza Spalding
    Allan Holdsworth.

There’s a couple of others.

I thought jazz was an expression. Not an undergraduate course.

(This is not to disparage formal study. It is to disparage snobbishness.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Forgot to mention. The pianist (in my current band) who increases his volume during my solos and plays a 10-tone wall of sound instead of just a few accents on chord changes. Same with the previous bands accordionist. Tried to get along with a vibraphone player a couple of times, but it was a doomed struggle of airspace, with his howling tones filling the room endlessly.

User Info Menu

Ugly headstocks on Strat and Tele copies, designed to prevent lawsuits.