The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 99

User Info Menu

One of my pet peeves is a power switch on the back of an amp next to the power cord input. A lot of modern amps have this "feature." Usually, these are in the lower right or left hand corner on the back of the amp. This forces you to reach both back and down behind the amp, often blindly feeling about as you turn on and off the amp. Like I said, it's a pet peeve and I can live with it -- it just irks me each time I reach for it.

What about you -- got any pet peeves regarding gear, guitars, or other things?
    Last edited by archtopeddy; 07-24-2020 at 11:03 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Guitar players who refuse to tune up their Telecasters before uploading their hot clips on YouTube! Really...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    One of my pet peeves is a power switch on the back of an amp next to the power cord input. A lot of modern amps have this "feature." Usually, these are in the lower right or left hand corner on the back of the amp. This forces you to reach both back and down behind the amp, often blindly feeling about as you turn on and off the amp. Like I said, it's a pet peeve and I can live with it -- it just irks me each time I reach for it.

What about you -- got any pet peeves regarding your gear or guitars?
    Even worse with the standby switch right next to it. Also, the way cables mingle and intertwine in the gig bag, no matter how well you coiled them.

User Info Menu

Canned efx on some acoustic amps. The Chorus&Reverb setting doesn't allow for individual adjustment. Want more verb, you get more chorus too! You end up still having to carry pedals. What's the point?

User Info Menu

Thin sounding upper register on a lot of guitars.

Jacks soldered directly into the PC board. Invariably, the mechanical stress of plugging and unplugging cracks the solder and the amp starts cutting in and out. You have to open it up and reheat the solder joints - repeatedly over years.

User Info Menu

Pots that go from everything to suddenly nothing.

User Info Menu

Dirty guitars.

User Info Menu

Leads. I hate them. They tangle. They get in the way. They are awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Women who would rather date bass players and drummers.

User Info Menu

Pet peeve threads.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Keyboard players who use a guitar patch right before my solo.

User Info Menu

People who turn up to play ,
    and they ask to borrow your stuff
    Stuff that they should have together ...
    leads , batteries , pencils or whatever ....

I shouldn't let it get to me but it gets to me

I think it was Miles who said he could tell if
    someone could play by watching them set up ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dlew919
    Leads. I hate them. They tangle. They get in the way. They are awful.
    those cloth covered ones are good ....

User Info Menu

1/. Boomy and muddy bottom end from most humbucking pickups
    2/. 60 cycle hum from large bobbin single coils (tone is great though!)
    3/. the fact I'm battling with both and there's no happy medium. Yet to find a noiseless single coil that sounds any good!
    4/. The incessant rattles from my arch tops with fixed hardware ... i.e. routed in pickups etc. The rattle goes away once I tighten everything but within a week or so there's a new rattle to track down....

User Info Menu

Singers that show up w a list of tunes in wacky keys but no charts.

Singers who show up w no mics.

Singers that call a key and the band starts and they say "a little higher, no, a little lower"

Singers!

User Info Menu

Apologetic drummers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    1/. Boomy and muddy bottom end from most humbucking pickups
    2/. 60 cycle hum from large bobbin single coils (tone is great though!)
    3/. the fact I'm battling with both and there's no happy medium. Yet to find a noiseless single coil that sounds any good!
    4/. The incessant rattles from my arch tops with fixed hardware ... i.e. routed in pickups etc. The rattle goes away once I tighten everything but within a week or so there's a new rattle to track down....
    q1,2,3-once you add a second humbucking coil it's no longer a single coil...that tone is done...the mini -humbucker was made to achieve that..really didn't do that bad a job!! i like hofner diamond mini-hums

q4-get a chunk of pure beeswax...a candle even...and next time you tighten, scrape some beeswax onto the parts...can even use for loose strap buttons!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-26-2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    those cloth covered ones are good ....
    You’re right. I use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

12-56 strings don't feel like 10-48 and 10-48 don't sound like 12-56

User Info Menu

Intonation on a Telecaster.

User Info Menu

Binding rot! Add that to the list.
    I have an otherwise mint 1958 Hofner Senator that has moderate binding rot. Such an expensive thing to repair on a guitar that's not particularly valuable.

Keyboard players that refuse to play Hammond organ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

Singers who show up w no mics.
    Oh yeah. And they should bring their own PA too! Like this lady:

In the big band I'm in, the singer just shows up in time to sing her songs and doesn't even help with the pa. Really pisses me off, but it's not my band.

User Info Menu

My pet peeves have more to do with my own klutziness. Dropping my pick as I change between fingerstyle and plectrum playing annoys the heck out of me. But the real annoyance is overloading my two music stands when I practice and everything ends up on the floor as I bend over to retrieve the pick I just dropped. The 4 letter words flow like water It's my own damn fault for being disorganized and less agile as I age.

User Info Menu

+1 on lots of the above.

...that trend of going overboard playing drums on acoustic guitars.

Notable exception for this guy!