The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    And I bought a.....mandolin. Thinking of selling it already!
    Search your feelings, Rob - just give in to the 8-string Dark Side....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    And I bought a.....mandolin. Thinking of selling it already!
    Some music makes more sense when played on an instrument tuned in 5ths. What can be a struggle to finger on guitar (Bach solo violin music comes to mind) falls more naturally on the mandolin. I know Rob has experienced that, and I found it to be an epiphany in my understanding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I commented on a car forum that people who aren't hurt financially by COVID are bored and looking for something to spend their money on. It won't be trips to Aruba or Macchu Piccu, that's for sure.

So why not throw some $$$ on some wood or sheet metal?

I have avoided buying either guitars or cars. I have, however, spent a lot of money on woodworking equipment and supplies, including wood, hardware, kits for pen- and knife-making, etc.

Oh, and I'm trying to talk myself out of getting an E-bike upgrade. Bikes have been going crazy as well, as I'm sure you know.
    Bikes are in short supply due to manufacturing shutdowns at the beginning of the year. I put a new MTB on Craigslist and sold it the same day.

I'm now way spending too much time researching front hub e-bike conversion kits for my hybrid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Bikes are in short supply due to manufacturing shutdowns at the beginning of the year. I put a new MTB on Craigslist and sold it the same day.

I'm now way spending too much time researching front hub e-bike conversion kits for my hybrid.
    That’s funny. I have been researching the same—for my daughter’s bike. It’s a Linus cruiser bike—very well-made. The Bafang front hub conversion looks pretty legit.

I went ahead and got another ebike for myself—a Trek Crossrip+. It was available at a 25% discount—2019 model. In fact, for reasons I can’t fathom, they no longer make that model, though the reviews were all excellent. It’s a cyclocross bike and kind of the Telecaster of the bike world—can do it all on and off road (OK, maybe not extreme off-roading.) I went on a 29-mile ride this morning despite the incredible heat and humidity here, and got home feeling relaxed not completely drained. This baby will do 28 mph with electrical assist, and has a range of more than 80 miles if not ridden continuously at the highest level.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That’s funny. I have been researching the same—for my daughter’s bike. It’s a Linus cruiser bike—very well-made. The Bafang front hub conversion looks pretty legit.

I went ahead and got another ebike for myself—a Trek Crossrip+. It was available at a 25% discount—2019 model. In fact, for reasons I can’t fathom, they no longer make that model, though the reviews were all excellent. It’s a cyclocross bike and kind of the Telecaster of the bike world—can do it all on and off road (OK, maybe not extreme off-roading.) I went on a 29-mile ride this morning despite the incredible heat and humidity here, and got home feeling relaxed not completely drained. This baby will do 28 mph with electrical assist, and has a range of more than 80 miles if not ridden continuously at the highest level.
    Yeah, Bafang is always coming up in articles and youtube videos and what I was considering for the hub & controller. Thinking of converting a Trek 7100, an inexpensive hybrid which has been served me well for more than 20 years, though I'd really prefer a gravel stye ebike.

Checked out that Crossrip+ (all of the links at the Trek site are broken). Nice bike - looks like a fun ride and a great deal if you got it for what I presume was about $3K.