The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Well I guess someone had to benefit.

Guitar sales rise as UK gets into lockdown groove - BBC News

I wonder how many archtops they sold? I contributed to this £2m boom - I bought my PRS SE during lockdown from the company in the article.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's probably due to parents trying to get their children off their tablets during the lockdown.

User Info Menu

I have come very close to ordering a guitar online on a number of occasions during the lockdown/working from home situation. It's not just that I have more time to play, I also seem to have more time to browse and fantasise about all the guitars I desperately need, with one-day shipping!

User Info Menu

Bought a flat top. Hadn’t picked one up in 10 years. Corona confinement means no amps cuz I’m nice. Tired of headphones. On-line purchase. Expensive. Taylor 814ce Dlx. I like it. A lot.

User Info Menu

My local brick and mortar shop was 85% in-person sales before the pandemic hit here in the USA. They converted the shop and repurposed the sales floor staff and became 95% online before opening again for limited occupancy to mask-wearing customers in June. Sales during the lockdown skyrocketed to the point where this local Mom&Pop was in the top ten Reverb retailers last month.

User Info Menu

Guilty here... About a month ago, I bought a noncutaway lefty B&G Crossroads Little Sister. I've played it everyday since. Dressed up here with a Gretsch Tone Twister Palm Vibrato, hehe. (BTW, Thanks to everyone who in a separate thread about six months ago helped me access this purchase choice.)

Guitar sales boom during pandemic-b-g-lefty-guitar-jpg
    Last edited by archtopeddy; 07-23-2020 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Guilty... bought my first Les Paul after selling my Milkman amp.

I love it... but it’s the Smallest Heaviest guitar I’ve ever played.

User Info Menu

Well eventually they'll be a glut of used guitars on the market. And some really good deals to be had. Unfortunately those won't inlude many archtops of note.

User Info Menu

And I bought a.....mandolin. Thinking of selling it already!

User Info Menu

Lots of things booming in lockdowm:

Guitars sales,
    Liquor sales,
    Waistlines - have you gained your Covid-19 yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Lots of things booming in lockdowm:

Guitars sales,
    Liquor sales,
    Waistlines - have you gained your Covid-19 yet?
    Lost about 15lbs and an inch off the waist. Healthy boring home cooking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Guilty here... About a month ago, I bought a noncutaway lefty B&G Crossroads Little Sister. I've played it everyday since. Dressed up here with a Gretsch Tone Twister Palm Vibrato, hehe. (BTW, Thanks to everyone who in a separate thread about six months ago helped me access this purchase choice.)

Guitar sales boom during pandemic-b-g-lefty-guitar-jpg
    Those look VERY sweet. Would love to try one in person.

How do you like it?

User Info Menu

I commented on a car forum that people who aren't hurt financially by COVID are bored and looking for something to spend their money on. It won't be trips to Aruba or Macchu Piccu, that's for sure.

So why not throw some $$$ on some wood or sheet metal?

I have avoided buying either guitars or cars. I have, however, spent a lot of money on woodworking equipment and supplies, including wood, hardware, kits for pen- and knife-making, etc.

Oh, and I'm trying to talk myself out of getting an E-bike upgrade. Bikes have been going crazy as well, as I'm sure you know.

User Info Menu

Guilty, I ordered an Eastman T486 Classic a month ago, but it will still be another two months before delivery. Hopefully!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I commented on a car forum that people who aren't hurt financially by COVID are bored and looking for something to spend their money on. It won't be trips to Aruba or Macchu Piccu, that's for sure.

So why not throw some $$$ on some wood or sheet metal?

I have avoided buying either guitars or cars. I have, however, spent a lot of money on woodworking equipment and supplies, including wood, hardware, kits for pen- and knife-making, etc.

Oh, and I'm trying to talk myself out of getting an E-bike upgrade. Bikes have been going crazy as well, as I'm sure you know.
    Bikes are going great seems that is what folks can do. I had to finally change my drivetrain on my road bike and had to look around to get a cassette and chain. I am glad I have a Titanium road bike nothing to really upgrade just replace. Also due to covid and other stuff I have been riding a huge amount of miles 200-350 miles a week. It cuts into my guitar playing but weather has been great. Bike sales are through the roof for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Those look VERY sweet. Would love to try one in person.

How do you like it?
    Thanks Doctor Jeff for the compliments.

I'm very happy with it. I was looking for something I could use during gigs along with my 33 Kalamazoo KG-11. Of course, gigs quit happening (for now), but the B&G's getting a workout anyway. It's a small size body and the P-90s offer a great all-around sound, including for finger-picking. Work quality is excellent. Being a lefty, it was get-it-now or maybe-not-find-it-again scenario, so I decided to bring it home.

User Info Menu

Here’s my COVID purchase:

Guitar sales boom during pandemic-6ef411d4-51ad-4e81-9efe-24ec8a42f09f-jpgGuitar sales boom during pandemic-01a78ce0-3057-49ed-a46f-dc01e2e21af8-jpg

User Info Menu

Happy COVID NGD!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Lost about 15lbs and an inch off the waist. Healthy boring home cooking.
    This is what I thought would happen. That and one can't use the excuse that they don't have time to exercise... I would think a lot of people have some extra time on their hands, if nothing else their commute times went away... unless they have children at home.

User Info Menu

While I did receive a beautiful Grimes Larry Coryell pre pandemic, I've gone back to rediscovering classical guitar. In a solo , quiet, introspective time it's been a joy to go back to. There's some great pieces out there now that didn't exist when I was at it years ago. Digging Andrew York's compositions especially.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    While I did receive a beautiful Grimes Larry Coryell pre pandemic, I've gone back to rediscovering classical guitar. In a solo , quiet, introspective time it's been a joy to go back to. There's some great pieces out there now that didn't exist when I was at it years ago. Digging Andrew York's compositions especially.
    I have been learning some Ralph Towner on my classical in these introspective times.

User Info Menu

I sold four guitars and a bass in the last few weeks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    I have been learning some Ralph Towner on my classical in these introspective times.
    Only one of Ralph's I've had luck with has been "Always by Your Side". He's been a favorite for many years. Lucky to have met and talked backstage after a gig for awhile. He gave me a copy of his score for "Oceanus". He didn't have anything published at the time. The chart was just the chord voicings written out as whole notes. He's one of the nicest guys you will meet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    Only one of Ralph's I've had luck with has been "Always by Your Side". He's been a favorite for many years. Lucky to have met and talked backstage after a gig for awhile. He gave me a copy of his score for "Oceanus". He didn't have anything published at the time. The chart was just the chord voicings written out as whole notes. He's one of the nicest guys you will meet.
    He’s always been a favorite of mine. I’d love to meet him.

Lately I have been working on Mon Enfant, which is fairly easy but with some time nuances that are tricky. Next step is to be able to improvise over it.

User Info Menu

Also guilty.
    Got an Eastman SB59 back in March and a '99 Benedetto last week.

I've also used the pandemic to pull out some of my gear that needed repair, and got them over to some luthiers and amp techs. Cleaning out the spare bedroom.