The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hey all You ES-275 users! Do You have ebony bridge in Your guitar?

There is not as much space between top and the strings so the bridge can’t be very high one.

Have You ordered one from luthier or is there some fitting model available somewhere?

My ES-275 had stock titanium bridge saddles and they were surprisingly much too bright. Now I have there an ABM bridge, which is among the best of TOM bridges, but I like ebony better in my jazz guitars.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have been considering this for my ES-275:

>> Ebony Archtop Guitar Bridge

I typically prefer a wooden bridge on a hollow-body arch top but the darn thing just plays and sounds so sweet now. But I keep looking at that ebony bridge . . .

User Info Menu

I just got an ES-275 a couple days ago. What a guitar! It has the stock bridge. It seems to have 10-46 rounds on it and is slightly to the bright side of neutral in tone. (Mine is the full hollowbody with humbuckers.). My first step will be to put flats on and see how that goes, also in a heavier gauge. With the neck pickup and tone rolled back to about 6-7 it sounds gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Congrats, Guitarjay! I am amazed how naturally playing and feeling guitar ES-275 is! I have had ES Les Paul and ES-137 and ES-135 but all of them had something to get used to – which I didn't do in the end.

I decided to take the guitar to my trusted luthier and ordered an ebony bridge from him. Plus a setup check, although guitar feels perfect already. "Two weeks" he said, luckily I have some summer holiday things to do instead of constant craving for this guitar!

User Info Menu

I look forward to your tone review of the different bridge!

User Info Menu

I eventually got the ebony bridge, some weeks ago already. Beautiful job!

Ebony Bridge on Gibson ES-275?-img_1337-jpg

Loved the sound!

Then I started to record a comparison between stock titanium, ABM TOM and this ebony one.

Listening the recordings I was a bit confused. I did not find almost any differences between them!

Apparently the strings were not "too bright" anymore. Not dead either.

I had bought an ES-175 RI 1954 too in the spring. I can't keep them both so I had to sell the ES-275. I just dig the size of the ES-175 more.

But the ES-275 is a wonderful instrument. When I first got in my hands I felt that the perfection had arrived! And the P90s were just great. Strong recommendation!

User Info Menu

Ah too bad! I’m looking for the sunburst P90 one!

User Info Menu

You mean this one? Good luck, it's gorgeous guitar!

Ebony Bridge on Gibson ES-275?-img_0776-jpg

My musical activities are just so rare these days that I have a bit trouble to justify myself having two archtops. Both ES-175, another with P90, another with humbucker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    You mean this one? Good luck, it's gorgeous guitar!

Ebony Bridge on Gibson ES-275?-img_0776-jpg

My musical activities are just so rare these days that I have a bit trouble to justify myself having two archtops. Both ES-175, another with P90, another with humbucker.
    Ha ha, you're killing me! That's gorgeous. I can't believe you sold it!

I'm trying to find one in Canada in near mint condition and sensible price. I had a line on one, but when I went to see it, the sellers description of "dead mint" meant no breaks or cracks. :-( There were finish issues from stands on the neck and body and general wear. I still might have bought it, but he was asking top dollar, so I passed. Oh well. At least I have the cherry one with humbuckers to help me pass the time! :-)

User Info Menu

I waited that model for reasonable price for some years too before I found that one from a store in Germany. Bought in on-line. They are a bit rare.

I don’t know about customs and VAT between USA and Canada, but in Utah is one for sale:

2017 Gibson Memphis Limited Edition ES-275 P-90 VOS Dark Burst 4967581613561 | eBay

Good luck in the hunt!

User Info Menu

I bought an ebony bridge and I had to sand down the saddle a little bit from the bottom, no problem. Loved the change in tone. I think the guitar sounds awesome, love the pickups, and the tone pots work perfectly, smooth and gradual.

User Info Menu

I'm happy that you resolved the tone issues you had with your ES-275. I've kept mine stock.

If the bridge seemed too bright, I might have considered nylon saddles. Robot Check

User Info Menu

I just installed an ebony top on my 2017 es275. I have to say it gets real close to the Kenny Burrell tone I love. Very woody and really smoothed out the slightly harsh top end. I currently have D'Addario flat wounds 11's on. I plan to put a set of Thomastik Infled JS 12's on as soon as I am done tweaking.

I put a bent pickup adjusting screw on the bass side of the neck PU and reversed the mounting ring to get the pickup more parallel to the strings . It does help fatten up the sound.

I am really loving the es 275 . I am very impressed with the tone and comfort. I have read some negative comments about it, but mine is pretty good. Truss rod works fine after I put a drop of oil on it. The Bracing is clean and tight inside . Not a fan of the ceramic tone caps . I even like the Richlite board. Love the upper fret access too. I don't miss my 64' es175 or 52' 175 . I still have them.

Oh yeah, this is my first post here.