The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello my friends!

I'm 99.9% acoustic guitar man with my Jazz guitar (due to time frame circumstances) but my question is about bass amp as follows. I never play or listen to music in my apartment at high volume. Never.

Simple question: do most modern small practice Bass amps (mine is Warwick BC20, 8" speaker, 20 Watt) have some kind of speaker and circuit and (perhaps they are interrelated in that respect) overload protection?

I value this small amp although I never play my bass through it or otherwise (that's still deposited for the future) and I don't want to harm it.

The procedure I use: I connect an audio cable to a "green code" computer "front speaker" output and run it through the AUX input of the Warwick BC20 at full volume with the speaker down (I have some spacer between the front of the cabinet an the floor but it's not very high, around 4 cm).

This is not what I want to do - that's simply a very temporary solution to tell my "kind" neighbors next floor down that I don't like their loud speaker system at full volume. Hope they understand it well.
    They don't like speaking with me - never. (And in this country there are no restrictions on the daytime music volume).

So won't I harm my valued bass amp with this short-term high volume load? (I run Meshuggah against their silly "Lady Gaga" kind of pop).

Today it worked out in 1 minute. If it doesn't help along the way I'll have to buy a crappy in audio quality but super powerful audio system as a specialized tool.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Please don't skip over my question. I need your help.

User Info Menu

The only speaker overload protection I know of is to match the rated power input of the speaker to that of the amp. If the speaker is rated for 100 watts and the amp is also rated at 100 watts, there should be no problem. I have no idea what the ratings of your amp are. Speakers get blown when people put a 40 watt speaker in a 200 watt amp, then crank the amp. Putting a 200 watt speaker into a 40 watt amp insures that the amp will not harm the speaker. It probably won't get unbearably loud, but it won't blow the speaker. Matching the ratings is usually the best solution. As for overload protection of the amp itself, I have no idea. I've never seen one of those amps.

User Info Menu

I don’t think you’ll hurt the amp. If it quits that is when you’ll open it up and look for a fuse that may not exist in a low power amp.

User Info Menu

You cannot overload the amp by playing any sort of AUX signal through it, regardless of the volume you dial in on the source of the AUX signal.
    As the matter of fact, on most practice amps the volume of the signal that comes through the AUX channel is supposed to be regulated on the device itself (phone, CD/MP3 player, what have ya). Speaking of practice amps, I hope you don't mind me sharing a blog post I wrote on the subject:
    Based in Bass: Private practice