The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I have had my Polytone since 1997. I had just started studying jazz and it seemed all the guys were playing their ES 175 guitars through Polytone amps. What did I know. Besides, at the time there were no other jazz amps ... So I traded in my Fender Twin that I had had since 1979.

I haven't played it for a long time though. I have been playing my Mambo 10 for years instead. So high time I removed the dust from it and plug in my 175 and see what happens. My Polytone is a Mini Brute IV, so the one with a 15" speaker.

Should be a classic combination, a 175 through a Polytone. Hope you dig.

I probably took a chorus too many, but the tune was over before I knew it ...

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's really nice playing and my kind of sound. I don't have a high quality archtop. I have two laminates, one rather like a Regent with an Ibanez mini floater, the other, an es125 look a like with a P90 type. I have a Polytone MBIII which I mainly use for Double Bass but I'm trying to get a nice guitar tone.

Please could you let me know what speaker you have in your Polytone and is it original? Is it the series with just vol, treble, and bass?
    TIA

User Info Menu

That's it. The perfect sound. Nice playing.

User Info Menu

Very nice DB! Like you I had a minibute IV with a 15 inch speaker. It was great and could do what it I needed it to do. I had to get the reverb spring fixed once and I eventually sold the amp.............stupid! It was a one trick pony for sound in most instances but wow it did the trick that I wanted.

That said today I would probably stay away from them just due to repair issues and if they go bad. If you have one and it works then remember......if it it is not broke don't fix it. However if looking for a new amp I there are many better choices today that are much more reliable.

BTW..........sounds great as always........I hope somewhere in the mess you can earn a few bucks on your playing it deserves it.

User Info Menu

you must love that shirt

sounds great!

User Info Menu

Tone does not get better than that. I have always loved the lows thru a Polytone.

User Info Menu

Great playing and tone. This combination is amazing: the flatwounds also helps.
    To me nothing gets a better tone than good polytone. Why nobody did a good clone or emulation is such a mistery.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

So here we see WHY the Polytone and ES175 are one of the quintessential jazz guitar combinations. Wow. I felt I was hearing the history of the instrument in jazz there. Wonderful.

User Info Menu

DB, you nailed it. Tone and playing are great. You have inspired me. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Wonderful playing, D.B. And absolutely classic "jazz tone." Thank you!

User Info Menu

I'd rather play a 175 into a Twin anyday, but I'd much rather have a polytone to schlep to gigs
    that was my combo for many years, and i don't have either anymore, sadly
    sounds good, as expected

User Info Menu

Damn, that Mambo MUST sound like a dream if you stopped using the Polytone for it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Please could you let me know what speaker you have in your Polytone and is it original? Is it the series with just vol, treble, and bass? TIA
    Thanks. The Polytone has the original 15" speaker. It's a Celestion I think. The amp can also be used as a bass amp (but the Mini Brute III is more suited for it because it does not have the reverb of the IV).

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Very nice DB! Like you I had a minibute IV with a 15 inch speaker. It was great and could do what it I needed it to do. I had to get the reverb spring fixed once and I eventually sold the amp.............stupid! It was a one trick pony for sound in most instances but wow it did the trick that I wanted. That said today I would probably stay away from them just due to repair issues and if they go bad. If you have one and it works then remember......if it it is not broke don't fix it. However if looking for a new amp I there are many better choices today that are much more reliable. BTW..........sounds great as always........I hope somewhere in the mess you can earn a few bucks on your playing it deserves it.
    Thanks Mark. Yeah the reverb is so so ... Mine is still working most of the times but sometimes just does not and then I have to turn the knob a few times.

My Polytone once fell a a yard or more down a stage when the drummer fell over it. It was during a concert and there was this HUGE crash on the PA system (the reverb). However I picked it up and everything still worked and no cracks in the wood even. Sturdy amp!

At the time this was the only jazz amp available.

No gigs here. I had one just before Corona hit. But I never get to gig much anyway. There is no market for jazz here. Money wise jazz is a disaster and I never felt the urge to make it a job, also because I'm not a bar and restaurant kind of person. And I always liked my job at the university.

DB

User Info Menu

DB,
    I could listen to you play all day long. The sound of a 175 and a Polytone really is the protypical sound of Jazz Guitar. We are very lucky to have you here. You are a great player and a good guy. I’m glad I’ve gotten to know you a little.
    I like my Polytone when it’s far away from me when I am playing, in a big room. I think maybe because it is so quick, tight and responsive. All the sound comes at you in immediate bursts. I am going to pull mine out today because of you. I will probably put it away soon thereafter because I won’t be able to make it sound like you do!
    Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    DB,
    I could listen to you play all day long. The sound of a 175 and a Polytone really is the protypical sound of Jazz Guitar. We are very lucky to have you here. You are a great player and a good guy. I’m glad I’ve gotten to know you a little.
    I like my Polytone when it’s far away from me when I am playing, in a big room. I think maybe because it is so quick, tight and responsive. All the sound comes at you in immediate bursts. I am going to pull mine out today because of you. I will probably put it away soon thereafter because I won’t be able to make it sound like you do!
    Joe D.
    I also fired up my Polytone Minibrute II after listening to DB. I have the Tonemaster Twin Reverb in the same room and usually play that, but the Polytone starred in my afternoon practice time. When I'm playing it, I actually wonder why I felt I needed other amps.

User Info Menu

DB,
    Joe D.
    Thanks for listening Joe! You are too kind. Have fun with your Polytone! Is it a Mini Brute?

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I also fired up my Polytone Minibrute II after listening to DB. I have the Tonemaster Twin Reverb in the same room and usually play that, but the Polytone starred in my afternoon practice time. When I'm playing it, I actually wonder why I felt I needed other amps.
    That makes at least three of us. Yesterday, I parked my Henriksen and pulled out my Polytone. Mine is a Mini-Brain reissue (I use it with a Rich Raezer made Stealth 10-ER). I have 5 other amps and yesterday, they all seemed somewhat superfluous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Thanks for listening Joe! You are too kind. Have fun with your Polytone! Is it a Mini Brute?
    DB
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    That makes at least three of us. Yesterday, I parked my Henriksen and pulled out my Polytone. Mine is a Mini-Brain reissue (I use it with a Rich Raezer made Stealth 10-ER). I have 5 other amps and yesterday, they all seemed somewhat superfluous.
    DB, you are very welcome. The pleasure was all mine. My Polytone is a Mini-Brute ll. With a working reverb.
    SS, You, and DB and Doug have the style and talent that makes the Polytone shine exactly the way it was intended.
    Still my favorite amp I ever had was the Princeton. But then again I never played out with it. I did play out with the Polytone. And it’s like a Laser on the bandstand.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

DB, you are very welcome. The pleasure was all mine. My Polytone is a Mini-Brute ll. With a working reverb.
    SS, You, and DB and Doug have the style and talent that makes the Polytone shine exactly the way it was intended.
    Still my favorite amp I ever had was the Princeton. But then again I never played out with it. I did play out with the Polytone. And it’s like a Laser on the bandstand.
    Joe D
    JD,

Thanks for putting me in the company of Doug and DB. I don't belong there, but I will keep working at it. I have a Princeton among my 6 amps. For jazz guitar, it is hard to beat a Princeton or Polytone or Henriksen. And my Mesa, AER and Acoustic Image Clarus do a hell of a job too. Truth be told, between the Princeton, Polytone, one of my L-5's and one of my 175's, I could be set for life. OK let's add one of my vintage DA's for that "acoustic archtop sound" and I am really set. All the rest is just part of my "art collection".

User Info Menu

Yes you absolutely do belong SS.
    As I was reading your post, I got scared thinking you weren’t going to mention the D’Angelicos.
    I had to wipe the sweat from my brow.
    And then everything in the world became good again.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    JD,

Thanks for putting me in the company of Doug and DB. I don't belong there, but I will keep working at it. I have a Princeton among my 6 amps. For jazz guitar, it is hard to beat a Princeton or Polytone or Henriksen. And my Mesa, AER and Acoustic Image Clarus do a hell of a job too. Truth be told, between the Princeton, Polytone, one of my L-5's and one of my 175's, I could be set for life. OK let's add one of my vintage DA's for that "acoustic archtop sound" and I am really set. All the rest is just part of my "art collection".
    Actually I have a Princeton reissue and polytone mb2 side by side in my practice spot. I have often wondered if the Polytone was actually designed to sound like the Princeton. They both share a very distinctive sound and feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice playing. Just curious, if this thread is still alive, what are your settings on the polytone?