Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hi!

    Looking for less hum in my tele AND chasing Jakob Bro's sound I've decided to order a tv jones filtertron. I have an american performer with HB routing so it will fit in and I'll only have to make the whole in the plate bigger.

    So would this be the proper one?
    TV JONES TV CLASSIC UNIV. MT CHROME NECK | boxguitar.com | Reverb

    Thanks!

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    That's the one. I've got one in my Hahn Model C and really like it. I too was inspired by that pickup (TV Jones Classic) in Jakob Bro and Bill Frisell's Nash guitars.

    One thing to consider is that several pickup brands offer a Filtertron design in a humbucker-sized housing (so you wouldn't need to cut your guitar's pickguard). TV Jones offer one, but with slighty different cosmetics. Lollar, Mojo, Creamery, Oil City and several others offer dead-on looking Filtertrons in a humbucker size.

    Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster-54525038_2195713347118107_6608188844279857152_o-jpg

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by David B
    That's the one. I've got one in my Hahn Model C and really like it. I too was inspired by that pickup (TV Jones Classic) in Jakob Bro and Bill Frisell's Nash guitars.

    One thing to consider is that several pickup brands offer a Filtertron design in a humbucker-sized housing (so you wouldn't need to cut your guitar's pickguard). TV Jones offer one, but with slighty different cosmetics. Lollar, Mojo, Creamery, Oil City and several others offer dead-on looking Filtertrons in a humbucker size.
    This looks super cool, thanks! I have a single coil pickup in neck position so I'd have to change the pickguard anyway AND I like the classic design much more, the humbucker design from TV Jones is pretty ugly and I don't want anything but a TV Jones, so I'll have to deal with the cutting Thanks again, problem solved!

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    yeah stick with tv jones..he's the filtertron master...he's maniacal about it...he even sources the magnets from the original vintage gretsch source..& has worked directly with gretsch

    jakob bro fan here as well!

    cheers

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    You can't order/buy a pick guard already cut out for the FTron??

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    You can't order/buy a pick guard already cut out for the FTron??
    I'd have to import probably, don't think it's very common in Poland Probably easier to cut this one and buy a new single coil pickguard when I want to return to the original

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Filtertron is a classis neck alternative for the Tele.

    But what pots do You use with them? The std Tele bridge pu needs a 250kOhm pots, humbuckers would need 500kOhms but what is the Filtertron value?

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Filtertron is a classis neck alternative for the Tele.

    But what pots do You use with them? The std Tele bridge pu needs a 250kOhm pots, humbuckers would need 500kOhms but what is the Filtertron value?
    TV Jones recommends a 500K pot.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by David B
    TV Jones recommends a 500K pot.
    So how will it be wired? 500 kOhm pots will make the one coil bridge pu scream. 250 kOhm pots will dampen the Filtertron.

    Is the answer a 250 kOhm pots and a 250 kOhm resistor in the neck pu lead?

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    So how will it be wired? 500 kOhm pots will make the one coil bridge pu scream. 250 kOhm pots will dampen the Filtertron.

    Is the answer a 250 kOhm pots and a 250 kOhm resistor in the neck pu lead?
    Good question, I though I'll replace only the pickup. Do I have to think about changing pots?

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    You and I are not the first ones to think this problem. Lindy has studied some solutions:

    https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/1...ls-humbuckers/

  13. #12
    Hi,

    I finally have a recording of my trio, including the tv jones classic in my tele:


    Very happy with it!

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Love it! Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz
    Hi,

    I finally have a recording of my trio, including the tv jones classic in my tele:


    Very happy with it!

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    nice tune man , and a lovely band ,
    great rolling feel from your drummer
    ————————
    talking of trusting forests etc
    Kiss the Ground

    great film ......it’s on Netflix too

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    JZJazz, beautiful playing and sound; and very nice composition, too.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    That sounds really good.... and I'm talking about the PLAYING and the TUNE too, not just the filtertron!

    I'd buy an album of that.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    that was a really good idea. do it again.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    My wife just walked through the room as I was listening to your clip, jzjazz. As she passed through, she said "Is that Bill Frisell?"

    I hope you will understand that at my house that is a very high compliment.

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    My wife just walked through the room as I was listening to your clip, jzjazz. As she passed through, she said "Is that Bill Frisell?"

    I hope you will understand that at my house that is a very high compliment.
    Haha, I couldn't imagine a bigger compliment! Btw. my wife would distinguish Pat Metheny from John Scofield, but Frisell? Come on! That's a killer guess! Say hi to your wife from me!

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    nice tune man , and a lovely band ,
    great rolling feel from your drummer
    Yeah this guy's great. And he sounds amazing, too (which you can't hear since the whole band was recorded with a stereo mic of a zoom recorder). And he's 15 years younger than me!

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    That sounds really good.... and I'm talking about the PLAYING and the TUNE too, not just the filtertron!

    I'd buy an album of that.
    We should have a single or two out on spotify end of this year, I'll keep you posted. Full album not planned yet, I'd rather play a small tour before that, which is not possible at the time

  23. #22
    I just uploaded a second clip - from the same tune, unfortunately :


    ?o?ubak / ?ukaszewicz / Majewski

  24. #23
    New tune here:



    More to follow soon, including 3 complete and uncut takes of new material Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster stay tuned

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Very nice! Dig it!

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Very nice! Dig it!
    Thanks a lot!

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    You can use the F‘tron the hotrodway- bypassing the Tonecontrol.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    I have put together a Warmoth Tele 3 years ago (my second one, the first was made in '93) and decided on 2 TV Jones Filtertron pickups. The body is Korina/Limba with an Ebony top, the neck came from Musikraft and is a one-piece construction out of torrefied/baked maple. The guitar un-amplified sounds nicely balanced and quite loud, resonating strongly with a surprising sustain, it really rings like a bell. Amplified with a clean sound this becomes even more apparent and the pickups give out a bright but warm tone, the "Gretsch-y" overtones are very apparent. What came as another surprise to me was the effect of the tone-control : dialed down, the tone looses character and becomes quite bland. It's mellow alright but the tonal fingerprint disappears, for lack of a better description. I've experimented with various different cap-values, pot-values etc. but the changes were neglectable. The guitar sounds best with volume and tone wide open - outboard eq (on the amp and/or with a pedal) works much better, keeps more of the timbral core.
    The guitar tone in the above clips reminded me of my quest back then ; for that type of tone IMHO a true single coil pickup (whether it's a P90 or a Tele/Strat model, Goldfoil, CC type, DeArmond, what-have-you) is my preferred choice in a Tele-type guitar. Must have something to do with resonating frequencies in pickups - I'm quite ignorant in these electronic matters so maybe an expert can chime in....
    Attached Images Attached Images Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster-warmoth-cabronita-jpg 

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    I'm planning to do it this week too. I have the pickup already, just waiting for a pre-cut pickguard I ordered from eBay. I'll pay for a tech to do it for me, since I don't fancy drilling into the body myself and definitely don't want the pickguard-mounted option.

    Did anybody solve the 250k vs 500k pot dilemma? My Tele came with a Shawbucker in the neck and despite Fender saying it requires a 500k pot, it came stock with a 250k. I put a Lollar J-Street in the bridge because it's a fantastic pickup for taming the treble and adding more bass and mids, so I definitely don't want to suddenly introduce more high-end on the bridge again by adding a 500k pot.

    But I guess these are problems I'll be paying a tech to solve anyway...

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    For what it's worth, Fender sells a volume pot for just such a situation; it has both 500k and 250k on a dual-ganged pot, and might be a good idea for those who use a humbucking neck pickup:

    Fender Dual 500k/250k Split Shaft Potentiometer | Sweetwater

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by unfunfionn
    I'm planning to do it this week too. I have the pickup already, just waiting for a pre-cut pickguard I ordered from eBay. I'll pay for a tech to do it for me, since I don't fancy drilling into the body myself and definitely don't want the pickguard-mounted option.

    Did anybody solve the 250k vs 500k pot dilemma? My Tele came with a Shawbucker in the neck and despite Fender saying it requires a 500k pot, it came stock with a 250k. I put a Lollar J-Street in the bridge because it's a fantastic pickup for taming the treble and adding more bass and mids, so I definitely don't want to suddenly introduce more high-end on the bridge again by adding a 500k pot.

    But I guess these are problems I'll be paying a tech to solve anyway...
    Well it's not really a dilemma, it's just preference. But you hit the nail on the head: the overall formula (of pickups and pots) has to work together. For me, when I have had these issues, what I have usually ended up doing was taking some low end off the neck pickup to get it less muddy (more on that in a second). So, for example, if the guitar had 500K pots, and I liked the way bridge pickup sounded with 500K pots, I would "mod" the neck pickup writing to go along with that. If it was a guitar I was using primarily the neck pickup, I'd do the opposite.

    Now- you can modify the tone coming from the pickups with capacitors and/or resistors. On a neck pickup, if you wire in a capacitor on the hot lead (pickup>capacitor>switch/pot), you can remove some of the low end. If you google "neck pickup de-mud mod" you'll get some reading.

    You can also remove high end from a pickup with resistors. For example, a bridge pickup that you feel is too harsh, you can wire in a resistor from the pickups' hot lead to ground, and that will remove some high end. In both cases you will need to experiment with different values of caps and resistors to get exactly what you want, and again if you google you'll get some good recommendations on that.

    Which Filtertron did you buy? I've played alot of them, in teles, and might be able to help you out if I knew which one you were installing... since you have 250K pots already... you might find the neck Filtertron lacking high end, but maybe not, because it has so much of it! The problem you may run into (like I did), was Filtertrons have alot of bass, and frequently the neck pickup can be woofy. I fixed this with the capacitor mod I mentioned above, and it worked quite well. You could EQ the amp around the neck pickup, but then then bridge may not have enough low end for your liking. It's actually good you have the bridge pickup you do... I think the more low end from it will help the 2 pickups balance better, and you may not have a problem at all...

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Thanks so much for the extremely helpful and detailed reply! I went with a TV Jones Classic. While I was curious about the Powertron and Supertron pickups, I can't try them out anywhere and it felt best just to start with the most authentic, plain version.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by unfunfionn
    Thanks so much for the extremely helpful and detailed reply! I went with a TV Jones Classic. While I was curious about the Powertron and Supertron pickups, I can't try them out anywhere and it felt best just to start with the most authentic, plain version.
    Probably wise, for the neck. I say go ahead and leave the 250K pots, and see what you think. The Classics have plenty of treble, so the 250K shouldn't hinder the tone much- especially if you're going for Jakob Bro tones. If you find the Classic sounds muddy, you could either try the capacitor trick I mentioned (it worked well for me), or go to 500K pots... your bridge pickup will of course get a little brighter, but it sounds like that pickup is warm/bold enough in the low end to handle it. Sometimes the best we can do is a compromise.

    If you LOVE the way the bridge sounds now, if it were me, I'd do the capacitor trick on the neck pickup. It's very easy, and it's easy to change the capacitor value as well. Let me see if I can find my notes, I can give you a capacitor value to start with. All it does is remove some bass.

    The larger the cap value, the LESS lows are cut. The 3 values that have worked for me over the years, on neck pickups, are:

    .0022uf
    .0033uf
    .0047uf

    ...I think I used the latter two on a Filtertron. But this way, you can re-EQ your neck pickup, without changing the way the bridge pickup sounds (and without changing any pots)

    BUT, as I said. First things first: the 250K may be perfectly fine for the TVJ Classic. Try it and see.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Thanks again, that's very helpful. I think trying the 250k makes a lot of sense. Although the Shawbucker recommends a 500k, Fender installed it with a 250k and it definitely doesn't sound muddy. Friends are surprised by how bright it is for a neck humbucker. So perhaps there's still enough breathing space in that setup for the TVJ to sound perfectly at home. What appeals about the Jakob Bro sound, although I have no interest in emulating his style (as much as I love his playing), is how much space his tone leaves for the bass player. From a pure utility perspective, that's something I'm really interested in here. I want it somewhat fatter than pure single coils, but definitely not jangly either. For that I have a Strat.

  35. #34
    Sorry to ruin your tech talk Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster but we’ve just released the first full tune :



    Have fun!

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Really sounds great. The whole band. Wow.

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by unfunfionn View Post
    I want it somewhat fatter than pure single coils, but definitely not jangly either. For that I have a Strat.
    I think you'll find pretty much exactly that. It'll have more low end than a strat, not really any more mids, and about the same amount of high end. Low end and high end both somewhat adjustable with pickup tilt of course. Pickups do not have to be level or flat!

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz View Post
    Sorry to ruin your tech talk Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster but we’ve just released the first full tune :



    Have fun!
    VERY nice tune, and a great sounding guitar! You would not think it would be the case, but FilterTrons really to do work well with Telecasters. I can vouch for this from first hand experience. I had a Cabronita Telecaster in 2016 & 2107. I loved its nice and chunky neck, and it sounded very good. I should have hung onto it, but at the time, I had the last Gretsch Country Club I owned, and it seemed kind of silly to me at the time, to have 2 guitars with FilterTron pickups (even if the Tele's were slightly different, due to them being Fender's take on FilterTrons - the FideliTrons). Maybe I'll get another Cabronita one of these days.

    My Old Fender Cabronita Telecaster Thinline

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
    VERY nice tune, and a great sounding guitar! You would not think it would be the case, but FilterTrons really to do work well with Telecasters. I can vouch for this from first hand experience. I had a Cabronita Telecaster in 2016 & 2107. I loved its nice and chunky neck, and it sounded very good. I should have hung onto it, but at the time, I had the last Gretsch Country Club I owned, and it seemed kind of silly to me at the time, to have 2 guitars with FilterTron pickups (even if the Tele's were slightly different, due to them being Fender's take on FilterTrons - the FideliTrons). Maybe I'll get another Cabronita one of these days.

    My Old Fender Cabronita Telecaster Thinline
    I think the Thinline Cabronitas were special, somehow. When I bought mine (used), I knew immediately the guitar (meaning the wood/build) was a keeper... I loved the neck, it seemed to be "mated" really well with body, I just loved the thing... except for the pickups. I never warmed up to Filtertrons in the Cab, yet I still knew the guitar was a keeper. I tried several different TV Jones Filtertron models, and they all sounded OK... but I could never get the neck and bridge balanced well. Good bridge tone = muddy neck tone, good neck tone = bright and harsh bridge tone (of course this doesn't matter for those who only use the neck, like most jazz players... I use both pickups, quite alot). I then went to TVJ T-90s (liked alot), then TVJ T-Armonds (liked even more), finally I put Filtertrons back in, but they are Rio Grandes, and sound nothing like TV Jones.

    Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster-cabronita-bbq-jpg

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Jakub, beautiful work - from you and the band as well. I really enjoyed that.

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by unfunfionn View Post
    Thanks again, that's very helpful. I think trying the 250k makes a lot of sense. Although the Shawbucker recommends a 500k, Fender installed it with a 250k and it definitely doesn't sound muddy. Friends are surprised by how bright it is for a neck humbucker. So perhaps there's still enough breathing space in that setup for the TVJ to sound perfectly at home. (...)
    I have learned lately that the 500 kOhm rule for humbuckers is not totalitarian. For example the so called Shaw era Gibson humbuckers (1980-1987) are designed to have a 300 kOhm volume pot with them.

    Tim Shaw here, Tim Shaw there!

  42. #41
    Thank you guys for the kind words. The filtertron makes the tele sound bigger in my opinion and since this trio setting is so small, this is what I was hoping for but I wasn’t the first, of course - main inspiration is Jakob Bro and his filtertron tele.

    If you want to be up to date with new recording please follow our fb (it’s in English, too):

    Jakub ?o?ubak Trio

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz View Post
    New tune here:



    More to follow soon, including 3 complete and uncut takes of new material Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster stay tuned
    I wish the drummer in my last band played with that much finesse - all he did was beat the crap out if his drums!, and if you brought it to his attention, he would get belligerent (and considering how hard it can be to find drummers, we didn't want him to quit, so we refrained from mentioning it too often).

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    I have learned lately that the 500 kOhm rule for humbuckers is not totalitarian. For example the so called Shaw era Gibson humbuckers (1980-1987) are designed to have a 300 kOhm volume pot with them.

    Tim Shaw here, Tim Shaw there!
    Yes, that may be, but removing the shaw hum buckers from my '81 L5 CES and replacing them with Seth Lovers transformed the guitar into a bigger better tone machine. (To my ears)
    My bigger gripe is that the stock pot values in the L5 ranged between 300K and 90K!