The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 57

User Info Menu

Hi!

Looking for less hum in my tele AND chasing Jakob Bro's sound I've decided to order a tv jones filtertron. I have an american performer with HB routing so it will fit in and I'll only have to make the whole in the plate bigger.

So would this be the proper one?
    TV JONES TV CLASSIC UNIV. MT CHROME NECK | boxguitar.com | Reverb

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's the one. I've got one in my Hahn Model C and really like it. I too was inspired by that pickup (TV Jones Classic) in Jakob Bro and Bill Frisell's Nash guitars.

One thing to consider is that several pickup brands offer a Filtertron design in a humbucker-sized housing (so you wouldn't need to cut your guitar's pickguard). TV Jones offer one, but with slighty different cosmetics. Lollar, Mojo, Creamery, Oil City and several others offer dead-on looking Filtertrons in a humbucker size.

Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster-54525038_2195713347118107_6608188844279857152_o-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    That's the one. I've got one in my Hahn Model C and really like it. I too was inspired by that pickup (TV Jones Classic) in Jakob Bro and Bill Frisell's Nash guitars.

One thing to consider is that several pickup brands offer a Filtertron design in a humbucker-sized housing (so you wouldn't need to cut your guitar's pickguard). TV Jones offer one, but with slighty different cosmetics. Lollar, Mojo, Creamery, Oil City and several others offer dead-on looking Filtertrons in a humbucker size.
    This looks super cool, thanks! I have a single coil pickup in neck position so I'd have to change the pickguard anyway AND I like the classic design much more, the humbucker design from TV Jones is pretty ugly and I don't want anything but a TV Jones, so I'll have to deal with the cutting Thanks again, problem solved!

User Info Menu

yeah stick with tv jones..he's the filtertron master...he's maniacal about it...he even sources the magnets from the original vintage gretsch source..& has worked directly with gretsch

jakob bro fan here as well!

cheers

User Info Menu

You can't order/buy a pick guard already cut out for the FTron??

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    You can't order/buy a pick guard already cut out for the FTron??
    I'd have to import probably, don't think it's very common in Poland Probably easier to cut this one and buy a new single coil pickguard when I want to return to the original

User Info Menu

Filtertron is a classis neck alternative for the Tele.

But what pots do You use with them? The std Tele bridge pu needs a 250kOhm pots, humbuckers would need 500kOhms but what is the Filtertron value?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Filtertron is a classis neck alternative for the Tele.

But what pots do You use with them? The std Tele bridge pu needs a 250kOhm pots, humbuckers would need 500kOhms but what is the Filtertron value?
    TV Jones recommends a 500K pot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    TV Jones recommends a 500K pot.
    So how will it be wired? 500 kOhm pots will make the one coil bridge pu scream. 250 kOhm pots will dampen the Filtertron.

Is the answer a 250 kOhm pots and a 250 kOhm resistor in the neck pu lead?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    So how will it be wired? 500 kOhm pots will make the one coil bridge pu scream. 250 kOhm pots will dampen the Filtertron.

Is the answer a 250 kOhm pots and a 250 kOhm resistor in the neck pu lead?
    Good question, I though I'll replace only the pickup. Do I have to think about changing pots?

User Info Menu

You and I are not the first ones to think this problem. Lindy has studied some solutions:

https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/1...ls-humbuckers/

Hi,

I finally have a recording of my trio, including the tv jones classic in my tele:

Very happy with it!

User Info Menu

Love it! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz
    Hi,

I finally have a recording of my trio, including the tv jones classic in my tele:

Very happy with it!

User Info Menu

nice tune man , and a lovely band ,
    great rolling feel from your drummer
    ————————
    talking of trusting forests etc
    Kiss the Ground

great film ......it’s on Netflix too

User Info Menu

JZJazz, beautiful playing and sound; and very nice composition, too.

User Info Menu

That sounds really good.... and I'm talking about the PLAYING and the TUNE too, not just the filtertron!

I'd buy an album of that.

User Info Menu

that was a really good idea. do it again.

User Info Menu

My wife just walked through the room as I was listening to your clip, jzjazz. As she passed through, she said "Is that Bill Frisell?"

I hope you will understand that at my house that is a very high compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    My wife just walked through the room as I was listening to your clip, jzjazz. As she passed through, she said "Is that Bill Frisell?"

I hope you will understand that at my house that is a very high compliment.
    Haha, I couldn't imagine a bigger compliment! Btw. my wife would distinguish Pat Metheny from John Scofield, but Frisell? Come on! That's a killer guess! Say hi to your wife from me!

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    nice tune man , and a lovely band ,
    great rolling feel from your drummer
    Yeah this guy's great. And he sounds amazing, too (which you can't hear since the whole band was recorded with a stereo mic of a zoom recorder). And he's 15 years younger than me!

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    That sounds really good.... and I'm talking about the PLAYING and the TUNE too, not just the filtertron!

I'd buy an album of that.
    We should have a single or two out on spotify end of this year, I'll keep you posted. Full album not planned yet, I'd rather play a small tour before that, which is not possible at the time

I just uploaded a second clip - from the same tune, unfortunately :

?o?ubak / ?ukaszewicz / Majewski

New tune here:

More to follow soon, including 3 complete and uncut takes of new material Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster stay tuned

User Info Menu

Very nice! Dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Very nice! Dig it!
    Thanks a lot!