The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 57

User Info Menu

You can use the F‘tron the hotrodway- bypassing the Tonecontrol.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have put together a Warmoth Tele 3 years ago (my second one, the first was made in '93) and decided on 2 TV Jones Filtertron pickups. The body is Korina/Limba with an Ebony top, the neck came from Musikraft and is a one-piece construction out of torrefied/baked maple. The guitar un-amplified sounds nicely balanced and quite loud, resonating strongly with a surprising sustain, it really rings like a bell. Amplified with a clean sound this becomes even more apparent and the pickups give out a bright but warm tone, the "Gretsch-y" overtones are very apparent. What came as another surprise to me was the effect of the tone-control : dialed down, the tone looses character and becomes quite bland. It's mellow alright but the tonal fingerprint disappears, for lack of a better description. I've experimented with various different cap-values, pot-values etc. but the changes were neglectable. The guitar sounds best with volume and tone wide open - outboard eq (on the amp and/or with a pedal) works much better, keeps more of the timbral core.
    The guitar tone in the above clips reminded me of my quest back then ; for that type of tone IMHO a true single coil pickup (whether it's a P90 or a Tele/Strat model, Goldfoil, CC type, DeArmond, what-have-you) is my preferred choice in a Tele-type guitar. Must have something to do with resonating frequencies in pickups - I'm quite ignorant in these electronic matters so maybe an expert can chime in....
    Attached Images Attached Images Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster-warmoth-cabronita-jpg 

User Info Menu

I'm planning to do it this week too. I have the pickup already, just waiting for a pre-cut pickguard I ordered from eBay. I'll pay for a tech to do it for me, since I don't fancy drilling into the body myself and definitely don't want the pickguard-mounted option.

Did anybody solve the 250k vs 500k pot dilemma? My Tele came with a Shawbucker in the neck and despite Fender saying it requires a 500k pot, it came stock with a 250k. I put a Lollar J-Street in the bridge because it's a fantastic pickup for taming the treble and adding more bass and mids, so I definitely don't want to suddenly introduce more high-end on the bridge again by adding a 500k pot.

But I guess these are problems I'll be paying a tech to solve anyway...

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, Fender sells a volume pot for just such a situation; it has both 500k and 250k on a dual-ganged pot, and might be a good idea for those who use a humbucking neck pickup:

Fender Dual 500k/250k Split Shaft Potentiometer | Sweetwater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unfunfionn
    I'm planning to do it this week too. I have the pickup already, just waiting for a pre-cut pickguard I ordered from eBay. I'll pay for a tech to do it for me, since I don't fancy drilling into the body myself and definitely don't want the pickguard-mounted option.

Did anybody solve the 250k vs 500k pot dilemma? My Tele came with a Shawbucker in the neck and despite Fender saying it requires a 500k pot, it came stock with a 250k. I put a Lollar J-Street in the bridge because it's a fantastic pickup for taming the treble and adding more bass and mids, so I definitely don't want to suddenly introduce more high-end on the bridge again by adding a 500k pot.

But I guess these are problems I'll be paying a tech to solve anyway...
    Well it's not really a dilemma, it's just preference. But you hit the nail on the head: the overall formula (of pickups and pots) has to work together. For me, when I have had these issues, what I have usually ended up doing was taking some low end off the neck pickup to get it less muddy (more on that in a second). So, for example, if the guitar had 500K pots, and I liked the way bridge pickup sounded with 500K pots, I would "mod" the neck pickup writing to go along with that. If it was a guitar I was using primarily the neck pickup, I'd do the opposite.

Now- you can modify the tone coming from the pickups with capacitors and/or resistors. On a neck pickup, if you wire in a capacitor on the hot lead (pickup>capacitor>switch/pot), you can remove some of the low end. If you google "neck pickup de-mud mod" you'll get some reading.

You can also remove high end from a pickup with resistors. For example, a bridge pickup that you feel is too harsh, you can wire in a resistor from the pickups' hot lead to ground, and that will remove some high end. In both cases you will need to experiment with different values of caps and resistors to get exactly what you want, and again if you google you'll get some good recommendations on that.

Which Filtertron did you buy? I've played alot of them, in teles, and might be able to help you out if I knew which one you were installing... since you have 250K pots already... you might find the neck Filtertron lacking high end, but maybe not, because it has so much of it! The problem you may run into (like I did), was Filtertrons have alot of bass, and frequently the neck pickup can be woofy. I fixed this with the capacitor mod I mentioned above, and it worked quite well. You could EQ the amp around the neck pickup, but then then bridge may not have enough low end for your liking. It's actually good you have the bridge pickup you do... I think the more low end from it will help the 2 pickups balance better, and you may not have a problem at all...

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the extremely helpful and detailed reply! I went with a TV Jones Classic. While I was curious about the Powertron and Supertron pickups, I can't try them out anywhere and it felt best just to start with the most authentic, plain version.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the extremely helpful and detailed reply! I went with a TV Jones Classic. While I was curious about the Powertron and Supertron pickups, I can't try them out anywhere and it felt best just to start with the most authentic, plain version.
    Probably wise, for the neck. I say go ahead and leave the 250K pots, and see what you think. The Classics have plenty of treble, so the 250K shouldn't hinder the tone much- especially if you're going for Jakob Bro tones. If you find the Classic sounds muddy, you could either try the capacitor trick I mentioned (it worked well for me), or go to 500K pots... your bridge pickup will of course get a little brighter, but it sounds like that pickup is warm/bold enough in the low end to handle it. Sometimes the best we can do is a compromise.

If you LOVE the way the bridge sounds now, if it were me, I'd do the capacitor trick on the neck pickup. It's very easy, and it's easy to change the capacitor value as well. Let me see if I can find my notes, I can give you a capacitor value to start with. All it does is remove some bass.

The larger the cap value, the LESS lows are cut. The 3 values that have worked for me over the years, on neck pickups, are:

.0022uf
    .0033uf
    .0047uf

...I think I used the latter two on a Filtertron. But this way, you can re-EQ your neck pickup, without changing the way the bridge pickup sounds (and without changing any pots)

BUT, as I said. First things first: the 250K may be perfectly fine for the TVJ Classic. Try it and see.

User Info Menu

Thanks again, that's very helpful. I think trying the 250k makes a lot of sense. Although the Shawbucker recommends a 500k, Fender installed it with a 250k and it definitely doesn't sound muddy. Friends are surprised by how bright it is for a neck humbucker. So perhaps there's still enough breathing space in that setup for the TVJ to sound perfectly at home. What appeals about the Jakob Bro sound, although I have no interest in emulating his style (as much as I love his playing), is how much space his tone leaves for the bass player. From a pure utility perspective, that's something I'm really interested in here. I want it somewhat fatter than pure single coils, but definitely not jangly either. For that I have a Strat.

Sorry to ruin your tech talk Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster but we’ve just released the first full tune :

Have fun!

User Info Menu

Really sounds great. The whole band. Wow.

User Info Menu

I want it somewhat fatter than pure single coils, but definitely not jangly either. For that I have a Strat.
    I think you'll find pretty much exactly that. It'll have more low end than a strat, not really any more mids, and about the same amount of high end. Low end and high end both somewhat adjustable with pickup tilt of course. Pickups do not have to be level or flat!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz
    Sorry to ruin your tech talk Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster but we’ve just released the first full tune :

Have fun!
    VERY nice tune, and a great sounding guitar! You would not think it would be the case, but FilterTrons really to do work well with Telecasters. I can vouch for this from first hand experience. I had a Cabronita Telecaster in 2016 & 2107. I loved its nice and chunky neck, and it sounded very good. I should have hung onto it, but at the time, I had the last Gretsch Country Club I owned, and it seemed kind of silly to me at the time, to have 2 guitars with FilterTron pickups (even if the Tele's were slightly different, due to them being Fender's take on FilterTrons - the FideliTrons). Maybe I'll get another Cabronita one of these days.

My Old Fender Cabronita Telecaster Thinline

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    VERY nice tune, and a great sounding guitar! You would not think it would be the case, but FilterTrons really to do work well with Telecasters. I can vouch for this from first hand experience. I had a Cabronita Telecaster in 2016 & 2107. I loved its nice and chunky neck, and it sounded very good. I should have hung onto it, but at the time, I had the last Gretsch Country Club I owned, and it seemed kind of silly to me at the time, to have 2 guitars with FilterTron pickups (even if the Tele's were slightly different, due to them being Fender's take on FilterTrons - the FideliTrons). Maybe I'll get another Cabronita one of these days.

My Old Fender Cabronita Telecaster Thinline
    I think the Thinline Cabronitas were special, somehow. When I bought mine (used), I knew immediately the guitar (meaning the wood/build) was a keeper... I loved the neck, it seemed to be "mated" really well with body, I just loved the thing... except for the pickups. I never warmed up to Filtertrons in the Cab, yet I still knew the guitar was a keeper. I tried several different TV Jones Filtertron models, and they all sounded OK... but I could never get the neck and bridge balanced well. Good bridge tone = muddy neck tone, good neck tone = bright and harsh bridge tone (of course this doesn't matter for those who only use the neck, like most jazz players... I use both pickups, quite alot). I then went to TVJ T-90s (liked alot), then TVJ T-Armonds (liked even more), finally I put Filtertrons back in, but they are Rio Grandes, and sound nothing like TV Jones.

Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster-cabronita-bbq-jpg

User Info Menu

Jakub, beautiful work - from you and the band as well. I really enjoyed that.

User Info Menu

Thanks again, that's very helpful. I think trying the 250k makes a lot of sense. Although the Shawbucker recommends a 500k, Fender installed it with a 250k and it definitely doesn't sound muddy. Friends are surprised by how bright it is for a neck humbucker. So perhaps there's still enough breathing space in that setup for the TVJ to sound perfectly at home. (...)
    I have learned lately that the 500 kOhm rule for humbuckers is not totalitarian. For example the so called Shaw era Gibson humbuckers (1980-1987) are designed to have a 300 kOhm volume pot with them.

Tim Shaw here, Tim Shaw there!

Thank you guys for the kind words. The filtertron makes the tele sound bigger in my opinion and since this trio setting is so small, this is what I was hoping for but I wasn’t the first, of course - main inspiration is Jakob Bro and his filtertron tele.

If you want to be up to date with new recording please follow our fb (it’s in English, too):

Jakub ?o?ubak Trio

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz
    New tune here:

More to follow soon, including 3 complete and uncut takes of new material Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster stay tuned
    I wish the drummer in my last band played with that much finesse - all he did was beat the crap out if his drums!, and if you brought it to his attention, he would get belligerent (and considering how hard it can be to find drummers, we didn't want him to quit, so we refrained from mentioning it too often).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I have learned lately that the 500 kOhm rule for humbuckers is not totalitarian. For example the so called Shaw era Gibson humbuckers (1980-1987) are designed to have a 300 kOhm volume pot with them.

Tim Shaw here, Tim Shaw there!
    Yes, that may be, but removing the shaw hum buckers from my '81 L5 CES and replacing them with Seth Lovers transformed the guitar into a bigger better tone machine. (To my ears)
    My bigger gripe is that the stock pot values in the L5 ranged between 300K and 90K!

User Info Menu

Finally, after quite a delay, I got my guitar back last week with the TV Jones. It's a lot more different to the Shawbucker than I was expecting, but it was definitely the right decision. It's like a very punchy single coil. We kept the 250k pot and it's absolutely enough treble without any muddiness. I think I would have been quite unhappy with more treble than this.

Two things especially surprised me. Firstly, it has lot of sustain. It's surprising to hear that on a Tele. It's a Tele sound with Gibson sustain. Secondly, it has an interesting relationship with dirt pedals. It seems to want to turn everything into a fuzz.

Anyway, the obligatory photo:

Installing a Filtertron Pickup on my Telecaster-img_2082-jpg

User Info Menu

Yes, Filtertrons are very mid-scooped pickups, I personally am not a fan of them with very much dirt... altho to add "just a little", I am using a JHS Morning Glory v4 (I bought it because Julian Lage uses one), and it's fantastic. But I have found Filtetrons do not always "get along with" dirt pedals, certainly not as good as my regular tele single coils do, or PAF types.
    Last edited by ruger9; 06-04-2021 at 08:22 AM.

User Info Menu

I'd been using a Rat clone (for low gain) and a Tube Screamer clone (for mid gain) until last week. The Rat sounds quite different with the TV Jones, but definitely usable. The Tube Scream not at all. I felt like I lost any transparency and playing on the wound strings just sounded like Grunge. So I spontaneously bought a Smallsound/Bigsound Mini from a classifieds ad, and it's worked very nicely so far. It has a massive range of sounds for a compact pedal and it's quite adaptable to different guitars.

User Info Menu

As your link shows an italian dealer I think you are in the EU. You may get a better price from the german distributor: ONLINE SHOP | No1.Guitar Center

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    As your link shows an italian dealer I think you are in the EU. You may get a better price from the german distributor: ONLINE SHOP | No1.Guitar Center
    I’m in Germany and I got a better price from Haar Guitars with 2 day delivery included. They seem to have the biggest range of TV Jones pickups.

Hi guys,

please find below the thread about my upcoming album recorded with my filtertron tele Have fun and let me know what you think

Incoming: Live album of my trio (played on tele)!

User Info Menu

Hi Jakub! Love your music man! Following on Spotify! Hope to hear more!

Also this thread made me decide against a humbucker in the neck and go with a Filtertron instead! Thanks!