The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

The strings referred to in the following are 10 flats.

I wonder if anyone has experience with Pyramid Gold flats?

I have just today put a set on my AF 95, where I previously had Thomastiks. I though I would give them a try as they are a bit less expensive than the Thomasiks. This operation took the entire morning, and the greater bit of the afternoon as it included changing the bridge from a Goldö ebony bridge back to the original Ibanez bridge (because I thought the G string gave a bit of buzz despite increasing the height).

When I finally got things in order I thought the Pyramids were brighter than the Thomastiks, which was not to my taste. That said, my ear for recollection of sound quality does not run 7 or 8 hours, I had to break for lunch.

So my first question is, am I alone in hearing the Pyramids as brighter than the Thomastiks?

My second question is, what string height do you all get when you set up an arch top? I have at present about .070 on both E strings. I believe I have a Tele with the same Thomastik strings set at about .050 if I recall correctly.Any thoughts on string height?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have no idea about Pyramid strings, sorry. As for action height, it depends on the guitar. I can get some lower than I can on others. I make sure the nut slots are correct, set the relief with the truss rod ( I want almost no releif unless it's going to be played primarily acoustic ) and then lower the bridge until I get wonky tones, then raise it very gradually until I'm satisfied. I can often get down to a millimeter or so, sometimes slightly less. But there are lots of factors in play, so it's always different, and tweaks on a guitar I've already set can lead to different settings. In short, I dunno, it's always something.

User Info Menu

I remember a set of Pyramid Gold flats I tried years ago that sounded "twangier" than other flat wounds and even accepted a bit of overdrive. However, they came off quite soon because of G string buzz, however high the bridge was jacked up.

2 or 3 years ago, another set of Pyramids (polished round wounds this time) fell into my hands and lasted a couple of days on the guitar due to....... G string buzz.

Is there a pattern here somewhere?

User Info Menu

without looking up the string sizes on a set of 10s, you’re going to have a hard time ever getting those puppies to be round and full. I and others have said here... Tal, Wes, Barney, Howard Roberts all those great sounds came from 14 or 15 sets with 55-56 low Es. Just sayin, making 10s sound like that just may not align with string physics. Since I’ve pontificated opinions enough, guess what?

I’m putting my first set of Pyramids 12 Flat on tomorrow on a PM200 and AF200. Long time George Benson 14 user but the low E and A sound thin on the PM (it’s all maple no shock there). I’ve been trying hard to thicken up/round out/get thunky on the PM and it’s not been easy, was hoping the Pyramid would. (Temporary Hand weakness has me at 12s, soon as I can I will float back up to 14s.)
    i swapped the neck pups on both to DiMarzio 36th Anniversary and that did round the bottom end out nicely.
    LaBella Flats sound like no other stainless flat I’ve played, they’re nice and mellow, but perhaps too thunky.

I will check back in with what I hear.

User Info Menu

snosnell, This is the set up procedure I follow as well, which usually works well. I guess i will have to accept different heights on different guitars, which is a bit new to me as I have had one guitar for years moving from a Warmoth build to the AF 95.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I remember a set of Pyramid Gold flats I tried years ago that sounded "twangier" than other flat wounds and even accepted a bit of overdrive. However, they came off quite soon because of G string buzz, however high the bridge was jacked up.

2 or 3 years ago, another set of Pyramids (polished round wounds this time) fell into my hands and lasted a couple of days on the guitar due to....... G string buzz.

Is there a pattern here somewhere?
    Hi Peter C. I think you expressed the Pyramid sound better than I did, Twangy was just right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    without looking up the string sizes on a set of 10s, you’re going to have a hard time ever getting those puppies to be round and full. I and others have said here... Tal, Wes, Barney, Howard Roberts all those great sounds came from 14 or 15 sets with 55-56 low Es. Just sayin, making 10s sound like that just may not align with string physics. Since I’ve pontificated opinions enough, guess what?

I’m putting my first set of Pyramids 12 Flat on tomorrow on a PM200 and AF200. Long time George Benson 14 user but the low E and A sound thin on the PM (it’s all maple no shock there). I’ve been trying hard to thicken up/round out/get thunky on the PM and it’s not been easy, was hoping the Pyramid would. (Temporary Hand weakness has me at 12s, soon as I can I will float back up to 14s.)
    i swapped the neck pups on both to DiMarzio 36th Anniversary and that did round the bottom end out nicely.
    LaBella Flats sound like no other stainless flat I’ve played, they’re nice and mellow, but perhaps too thunky.

I will check back in with what I hear.
    jazzkritter, I look forward to your findings! It sounds like you are not bless with arthritic fingers and thus have the freedom of greater string diameter.

User Info Menu

No you are correct I am not blessed with arthritic fingers. But I’ve seen some and I hope yours are under control!

Instead, I blessed my self years ago doing something incredibly stupid on my bike. Caused significant damage to both thumb’s tendon sheaths, three surgeries each side. They’ve never worked right since, considering I learned to play thumb-over it’s a challenge. Stopped my days as a church/concert organist, as well my jazz gigs. A lot less pressure in amateur status though.

I highly recommend not riding a bicycle without hands on the handlebar. Also recommend not hitting a deep manhole at speed. With hands off the bar.

Told ya it was stupid!

User Info Menu

pyramids and thom flats are both premium pure nickel wrap...the only difference is that thoms use a thin round core and double outer wrap the pure nickel...the pyramids have a thicker round inner core...if you are basing it on electric tone, the thicker inner core of the pyramids might give you a bit more volume/tone...since the steel inner core will magnetically react more with your pickup magnets...easily taken care of by dropping your pickup height ever so slightly with the pyramids

both great strings!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I have no experience with Thomastik strings. I have used a set of Pyramid gold flats 11. They are brighter than DaDarrio flats But they didnt keep that quality past 30 hrs of playing after that they sound just like Dadarrio flats.

User Info Menu

Hi Neatomic
    (hey if you changed to neOtomic we could call you Neo!) sorry couldnt resist!
    Thank you, i wasn't aware of the structure differences thats good info. Do you/anyone know the difference between the TI Jazz Swings and the George Bensons? I had given up on stainless steel gee like 20 years ago and used the GB.
    I never liked the sound of DiAddario Flats on my L5, which of course is heresy and will get me in trouble. Thats when i learned the tricks of lowering the neck pup way down, and rolling back the guitar volume, and no metal bridges. Nitnonce i played the TIs that was it.

User Info Menu

thomastiks jazz swings & flat bensons... are same individual strings...only thing that makes benson set different are the gauges used...string design is same..pure nickel double wrap on thin round steel core...i.e. a 53 jazz swing is same as the one in benson packet...benson sets just offer different gauged sets...

cheers