The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi everyone

I am still searching for my 1st archtop .
    I just started to study Jazz .

I finally found a good deal on Godin Kingpin 2 CW with P90s .
    I found it comfortable except for the small frets.

My 1st guitar is Alhambra P8 has massive frets .
    2nd Gibson J35..took a while to get used too , but now loved .

This morning I saw that The Ibanez PM 2aa ( in store model ) is being sold off for about $250 less than the Godin .

I had considered trying it out. .
    However it means a trip to T.A both time consuming and in these Covid days here not so great to travel.

People who have experience with these two guitars advice would be great.

Mostly looking for a reasonable acoustic sound .
    Though I will buy a small amp ( but that's for another post ) ?

As a newbie also easy playability!

Thanks in advance
    Mai

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They are quite different guitars... both are fine though.

I do not know what you mean by acoutic tone? Good acoustic tone or audible tone?

If you you that kind of guitars you actually need an amp... of course you can play unplugged but you need an amp to really get what you pay for.

Of course both PM and Godin will have acoustic volume but that is it.. otherwise they are dead acoustically.

If you want realy decent acoustic tone you need good solid top/body archtop with floating pickup for amplification (but you may have feedback issues wit han amp).
    You can look for Loar 600 or 700 but be careful they are not consistent in quality but if you get the right one it can be great acoustic guitar.

Not every solid top archtop sound great acoustically too.. usually if an archtop has a pickup that means it is designed to be played with amplification (even with solid top).

I had Epi Broadway from 2014 Unsing factory all plywood - with two installed pickups and knobs -- and still it had very sweet acoustic resonance (not real acoustic but still very pleasent tone) and I had Guild Savoy re-issue (also Korean) with solid top and floating pickup -- and it sounded much worse unplugged...
    You never really know... but again they ARE electric guitars.. in both cases one should not expect much from their acoustic tone.

I had similar problem as yours(so it seems to me... as I came from acoustic guitar world too) but in years and after changing a few guitars I came to the point if I really want to play unplugged I need good acoustic instrument (archtop or flattop) and for amplified tone you look for a electric guitar it can be solid/hollow/semi-hollow body -- whatever....

Look here - I did a bit of a Chinese Dean Palomino that I had for sale... t is cheap (I bought for about usd 300)--- but you know I am not sure it is much worse those Korean guitars under different brands that are sold 2-3 times more expensive

First I play unplugged ... then with an amp. Is it a goo d tone acoustically? It is ok for such a guitar but not for real acoustics

User Info Menu

The PM2 is an electric guitar, but it is in no way "dead" acoustically. I can't play mine unplugged late at night, even softly, for fear of waking people up. Strats are useful at that time. That said, I would not recommend it if your playing is primarily acoustic.

User Info Menu

The PM2 is an electric guitar, but it is in no way "dead" acoustically. I can't play mine unplugged late at night, even softly, for fear of waking people up. Strats are useful at that time. That said, I would not recommend it if your playing is primarily acoustic.
    Just to clarify my point about acoustically 'dead' which you reffered to.

In my opinion 'dead acoustically' is not related with loudness... it is tone quality.
    there are very loud instruments which to my are ear are totally 'dead' and very quiet that have very lively and complex tone... (dynamics can be a part of course but definitely not the only reference)

PM2 is dead acoustically... really..

User Info Menu

Any instrument will sound lacklustre without sufficient player input.

To the OP: if what you want is "reasonable" acoustic sound, you could actually do worse than a PM2.

I found this vid. I recorded for another topic, but it's the guitar straight into the phone. round wound strings. Hope that helps.

Edit: I might have dialled in a bit of Microcube in the background there - I don't remember. Anyway, the guitar was very close to the phone

User Info Menu

well.. for me acoustic sound starts... somewhere else...

Dean in my vid above is also on phone and at the beginning it is totally unplugged (also just in the phone)... it also has its presence (more than PM2) but to me it is not a 'live tone' too
    I have very strong attack on acoustics and can make even the worst guitar sound more or less articulate (I cannot do many other things but this I know I can).

I am not for the argument anyway... you just referred to my post and I thoght I had to answer.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'm going to bypass the acoustic qualities argument but I do agree with the notion that these are very different guitars. For lack of better words, Ibanez is likely to have a thicker, warmer, smoother tone while the Godin should have a more lively high end with more acoustic presence. My suggestion would be to consider what you want to play with these guitars. If you want to play "horn-like" single note lines bebop or Metheny-style solos, then the Ibanez is a better bet. If you want to play more intimate solo pieces, then the Godin is probably a better bet.

In terms of construction, the Ibanez is probably going to be more stable. The Godin has a very unusual neck joint and I found it to be the weakest point of their guitars. It was not serious enough to make me not like the guitar but it is what it is. On the other hand, I suspect that design with the floating fingerboard is also a primary reason why the acoustic presence is so strong and that is the most charming thing about the guitar.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thank you Jonah

For your detailed reply.
    I did mean audible, I would like to be able to practice without an amplifier.

I actually went to the city today and came home with the PM2.

It's loud enough to practice quietly and sounded amazing though the Fender Bassbreaker 007.

I need now to choose a smaller amp that sounds goo

Think it will do nicely for my first archtop.

I tried the LGB 30 which I liked ( loved the neck ) but it felt heavier.

Love the Ephiphone Broadway but it's too big for me .

Your guitar sounds great , but very big !

User Info Menu

Hi Peter

Thank you for your reply.

Well I came home with the PM .
    I think that it will do nicely .

Now I just need to find an amp.
    In the shop I played it though Fender Bassbreak 007 , lovely sound but I was thinking of something smaller like the DV little Mark Jazz, Yamaha THR 10c or maybe a Roland Cube.

What to you use ?

User Info Menu

Thank you for your reply Jim .

I bought the Ibanez ?
    It is loud enough to play unplugged and sounded really good though the Fender Bassbreaker 007 amp in the store.

I just need a nice small amp !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabs
    Thank you Jonah

For your detailed reply.
    I did mean audible, I would like to be able to practice without an amplifier.

I actually went to the city today and came home with the PM2.

It's loud enough to practice quietly and sounded amazing though the Fender Bassbreaker 007.

I need now to choose a smaller amp that sounds goo

Think it will do nicely for my first archtop.

I tried the LGB 30 which I liked ( loved the neck ) but it felt heavier.

Love the Ephiphone Broadway but it's too big for me .

Your guitar sounds great , but very big !
    Congratulations! PM2 is great guitar.

Byt the way.. speaking of a small home amp.
    In my video (second half - amplified) I used old Roland Cube.. .I use 'Brit Combo', a little Gain, and just a bit of reverb... and it is fine for home really.

User Info Menu

Thank you for your reply Jim .

I bought the Ibanez ?
    It is loud enough to play unplugged and sounded really good though the Fender Bassbreaker 007 amp in the store.

I just need a nice small amp !
    I saw. I have owned the Godin and I have owned similar Ibanez models. I liked both. I think it's remarkable how good these guitars are given the price. It's a good time to be a guitar player.

I also own a DV Mark Little Jazz and I think it's a fine little amp. Again, for the price it's pretty incredible.

User Info Menu

Hi Peter

Thank you for your reply.

Well I came home with the PM .
    I think that it will do nicely .

Now I just need to find an amp.
    In the shop I played it though Fender Bassbreak 007 , lovely sound but I was thinking of something smaller like the DV little Mark Jazz, Yamaha THR 10c or maybe a Roland Cube.

What to you use ?
    Hi there, congrats on your purchase. By the way, if this is your first jazzbox, watch out for low summer humidity in your country, which I just noticed. I like Roland Cubes (have 2) but I believe the Yamaha gets a lot of love around here. You need to start another thread

User Info Menu

Hi Jonah !

On my list of amps I have a few Cubes 10GX , Street and Micro .
    Plus a Katana , Yamaha and Little Mark !!

Will read cube comparisons..
    Cubes seen a great option ( and sound good on your clip .)

Thanks for the imput !

User Info Menu

Hi Jonah !

On my list of amps I have a few Cubes 10GX , Street and Micro .
    Plus a Katana , Yamaha and Little Mark !!

Will read cube comparisons..
    Cubes seen a great option ( and sound good on your clip .)

Thanks for the imput !
    Mine is microcube.

Cubes can be different too, I did not like Cube 10 for example... but Cubes 20,30,40 seemed good to me.

Micro Cube can sound surprisingly well, very well-built and can be very loud for its size. And it is cheap...

User Info Menu

I looked at Micro cube RX .
    There is 30 % off allthe Roland products.

When I do decide I will order on line , so good to know the ones to avoid .
    Thanks