The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 201

User Info Menu

Sounds great Lawson! So nice and smooth. These are gems. I’m gassing for a Tone Master Twin now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Sounding good! I hear the little twinge of break-up, there. I rarely pushed the Stew Mac to that point, but it doesn’t sound bad with a lil dose of hair on it. Sure do love the look of your SB, too!
    Thanks. When I first bought this, I had no idea that the sunbursts were so hard to find. Mine was pretty reasonably priced, too. If you get a nice Broadway for under $600 you did well. I am planning next week to replace the whole wiring harness on this one. I put a new harness in my L5ces and like it so much I want one for the Broadway too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Thanks. When I first bought this, I had no idea that the sunbursts were so hard to find. Mine was pretty reasonably priced, too. If you get a nice Broadway for under $600 you did well. I am planning next week to replace the whole wiring harness on this one. I put a new harness in my L5ces and like it so much I want one for the Broadway too!
    You going to wire it up from scratch or using a pre-built harness? I have been eyeing an L-5 CES harness from Jackson Electronic Luthier on Reverb. Having gone the ‘from scratch’ route a few times, I’m thinking a high quality pre-built harness is my next stop. Good luck!

Roli

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    You going to wire it up from scratch or using a pre-built harness? I have been eyeing an L-5 CES harness from Jackson Electronic Luthier on Reverb. Having gone the ‘from scratch’ route a few times, I’m thinking a high quality pre-built harness is my next stop. Good luck!

Roli
    That’s the very one I put in my L5ces and that I will put in the Broadway. It’s really nice and you just hook up the pickups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I was looking at that Broadway as well, I ended up with the '49 Zenith they had because I got a nice price from them on it - that Broadway was a steal compared to all the other ones on Reverb.
    After my Zenith arrived, I went back to get that Broadway too, but it had already sold

A trip to the luthier to check it out (when everything re-opens) is a good idea
    Regarding top sink - I have a '55 ES-125 that looks almost like a flat top, I had a luthier install a sound post and check all the bracing, it still sounds 100% like an ES-125

enjoy the NGD! Old Epis are great

User Info Menu

Hey guys...

New guy here from Los Angeles. Recently bought an Epiphone Broadway (2011) and for the money its quite an outstanding jazz box. I'm having it professionally set up and was wondering about strings? Looking in a perfect world for 11's flatwounds.

As I'm sure many of you know it has the Frequensator tail piece, and from what I hear, some string brands do NOT have a long enough D-string.

Any suggestions for strings that would fit would be greatly appreciated.

The guy I bought it from, could not remember what strings are on now, he thought maybe they were the original, believe it or not

Thanks for any replys and solutions.

Great to be here.

Stefan

Epiphone Broadway?-smaller-jpg

User Info Menu

I used to have an Epiphone Broadway and the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing strings worked just fine.

User Info Menu

When I had a Broadway, I tried several, my favorites were the T-I round wound 12s. I also tried flats, but the guitar is dark-sounding enough on it's own, and I thought it benefited from the brighter/more clarity round wounds.

If you already have your mind made up on 11 flats, I can only recommend the T-Is, because they are the only flats I've tried. I prefer rounds.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much gentlemen. I appreciate that very much. I'll start with the flats, and If to dull I'll go back

User Info Menu

I have an Epiphone Emperor Regent (same dimensions and tailpiece) and D'Addario Chromes fit it fine. I run 12s on mine with no problems. Congratulations on your new guitar, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Thank you very much, Yeah it'll be interesting. I played jazz as a teenager in a big band and 3 guitar set up (great guitars, with Barney Kessel etc)....But have not really been focusing on jazz for the last 20 plus years. I always loved it, just have been playing other stuff, I guess more towards fusion. Looking forward to dive deep back in to it.

User Info Menu

Both D’A Chromes 12s and T-I Jazz Swing 12s work great on my Broadway. Chromes brighten it up a bit. Jazz Swings make it play like butter. I really think the Broadway is special.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Both D’A Chromes 12s and T-I Jazz Swing 12s work great on my Broadway. Chromes brighten it up a bit. Jazz Swings make it play like butter. I really think the Broadway is special.
    Yes... I should have specified, the T-Is I used on my BW were the Jazz Swing set.

User Info Menu

I've always used DA Chromes (12s), and they've worked great. But I've never tried Thomistiks.

User Info Menu

I’m in dilemma with the two of Jazz boxes to go with Epiphone Broadway natural or Ibanez AFC95NT looking for that Jazz tone acoustic or plugged.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nedj
    I’m in dilemma with the two of Jazz boxes to go with Epiphone Broadway natural or Ibanez AFC95NT looking for that Jazz tone acoustic or plugged.
    I have owned both and let me begin by saying that, they are both fine. Neither is a particularly great acoustic guitar but both have a satisfying acoustic tone for practice or quiet playing.
    the pickups on the Ibanez are floating and they are exceedingly bright. The pickups on the epiphone are Inset and they are borderline muddy. The scale on the Ibanez is 24.7“ whereas the epiphone has a 25.5” scale length.

My point here is that they are very different from each other, but, depending on what you want, they area good choices.

If possible, play them both and buy the one that feels best.

I prefer the warmer plugged-in tone of the Epiphone Broadway. My opinion.
    Last edited by rolijen; 09-13-2020 at 09:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Does Epiphone not producing Archtops like the Broadway and the Joe Pass anymore?

Epiphone | Archtop Collection

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Musgo Real
    Does Epiphone not producing Archtops like the Broadway and the Joe Pass anymore?
    yeah the recent revamping of gibson trickled down to epi...many epi classics now mia

would love to see some original vintage epi designs be developed...fmic and then cordoba have done a wonderful job restoring guild back to past glories

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah the recent revamping of gibson trickled down to epi...many epi classics now mia

would love to see some original vintage epi designs be developed...fmic and then cordoba have done a wonderful job restoring guild back to past glories

cheers
    The only way this will happen is if Epiphone were no longer Gibson's budget brand. Gibson still wants to sell L5s and the like. They want the prestige they only tentatively retain.

There was an effort in the early 90s, I believe, where a well-known Japanese factory (Terada or some such) made late-30s spec Emperors and DeLuxes. It was called the Imperial series. I think the process ended up costing far more than anticipated. Again we're talking about guitars that in the day were extremely dangerous to Gibson's market share.

But that's an entirely different discussion.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I just saw this old thread. Epiphone Broadway was my first real guitar. I never get rid of a guitar so I pulled it out to prove it. Long story about this one. It was stolen. I bought it back but it has never been the same so I haven't played it since. That'd be since around 1982.
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone Broadway?-hr-loomis-runners_med-2-jpeg Epiphone Broadway?-henry-now-epiphone-broadway-jpg Epiphone Broadway?-runners-oasis-stage_med-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I just saw this old thread. Epiphone Broadway was my first real guitar. I never get rid of a guitar so I pulled it out to prove it. Long story about this one. It was stolen. I bought it back but it has never been the same so I haven't played it since. That'd be since around 1982.
    Henry those are some kewl images from back in the day, juxtaposed with the gray beard below. How time flies huh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Henry those are some kewl images from back in the day, juxtaposed with the gray beard below. How time flies huh?
    Thank you. Time definitely flies. Pretty funny. The first picture there's someone giving me money. He's asking me to play Louie-Louie or something. I'm refusing. It was a joke. "You think I can get Henry to play Louie-Louie if I give him $100?" LOL. Me and my integrity. LOL. Jazz guy in a funk-rock band.

User Info Menu

Just picked up an Epiphone Broadway. I put TI Swing 12's on it and had a pretty hard time getting the G string through the tailpiece, the hole is too narrow. Anyone have that problem?

If i replace the frequensator with a generic tailpiece from StewMac etc. will it fit the same hole pattern?

User Info Menu

I put TI 14's on my Epi Broadway (the only way to make it sound to my taste) and never had a problem
    Only the D string is just long enough by short : no need to trim it

User Info Menu

It seems it's been reintroduced!
    Epiphone | Broadway