The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 81 of 81

User Info Menu

Without having the guitar with me, I have to go by other clues. It is 17" with an X-braced top, which makes it at least 1935. That is confirmed by the fret markers (double parallelograms) and the headstock inlay (art deco star) which first appeared in 1935. As far as I can tell, the last X-braced models were early 1939. The Vintage guy also says that the tailpiece in 1937 was "flat with cutouts" but I have no idea what that means.

In any case, I guess I will have to give CITES the serial number and an approximate date, give or take a year or two.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have files of the Gibson shipping ledgers beginning March 10, 1936.
    By that time most L-12's were beginning to ship with 93000 and up serial numbers.

I did see a few L-5's, L-10's, and L-7's and even a couple L-12's shipping with 92000 serial numbers but those were likely remaining 1935 instruments shipped in early 1936.

Spann's Guide serial number index shows 1935 instruments shipped with serial numbers from 91400 to 92718.
    I did see several L-12's with 92700 numbers shipping in March of 1936 ledgers.

I think its safe to call your L-12 92507 a 1935.

Hope this helps....

Whew!
    Its time to play long tones on the flute!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doc w
    ... The Vintage guy also says that the tailpiece in 1937 was "flat with cutouts" but I have no idea what that means....
    This, below. It replaced the much lighter rod style tailpiece, shown in the small picture next to it. Both have the double-parallelogram on the cross-bar to echo the fretboard inlays that were unique to the L-12 until the late 1930s. Previous to these, L-12 tailpieces were standard, unmarked, gold-plated units:
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson L-12-gibson-l12-archtop-1937-tp-jpg Gibson L-12-img_7836-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-14-2020 at 08:46 PM.

User Info Menu

That second tailpiece might be exactly what I need for my L-12. I am resisting getting crazy excited because I think I have a long wait to go, due to the CITES permits. But I sure like this tailpiece!

User Info Menu

that t.p. was exlusive to the L-10 in chrome and L-12 in gold for only a few yrs in the late 30's early 40's iirc.
    I've never seen one for sale w/out being attached to the guitar, they're very rare. If you do see one it's likely because the hinge broke and a different t.p. was added as a replacement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    that t.p. was exlusive to the L-10 in chrome and L-12 in gold for only a few yrs in the late 30's early 40's iirc. I've never seen one for sale w/out being attached to the guitar, they're very rare. If you do see one it's likely because the hinge broke and a different t.p. was added as a replacement.
    ...and they are customized for each model. The crossbar of the L-10 taipiece has brazed-on relief shapes to echo the fretboard inlays that were unique to the L-10. Used in '37 & '38, I think. I'd love to see any later ones, if they exist.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson L-12-gib-l10-39_l10sb95977_11-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-15-2020 at 01:28 AM.