Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 201 to 211 of 211
  1. #201

    User Info Menu

    I often believe in the saying "everything old is new again" and archtops will be "rediscovered" and become popular again at some point. How long until it happens and how long it will last is a guess, but I think it will happen. They are too pretty and unique for them not to. People who know nothing about guitars see them and recognize the beauty and craftsmanship. Too many things have made "comebacks" it seems for it not to happen.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #202

    User Info Menu

    It just occurred to me that Gibson could use the Epiphone brand to introduce reasonably priced, Made in USA laminated archtops, e.g. "Historic" takes on the ES-125, 150 and 350 theme. This would leave the main brand's price image intact. Godin proves this is possible, if greed is kept at bay. Probably the main challenge would be to reach the quality and consistency of the current Far East Epis.

  4. #203

    User Info Menu

    I agree DM.
    There is nothing, And I mean nothing, like the sound of great archtop.
    I've been listening to Wes Montgomery over the past week or so. The sound he got through his Wes Montgomery and his Standel was glorious. The depth of sound is NOTHING any other type of guitar is capable of achieving. And it doesnt hurt having Wes plucking those heavy strings with his thumb...
    I have faith that people will still have good taste in the years to come and they will long for that sound once again.
    Joe D

  5. #204

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I agree DM.
    There is nothing, And I mean nothing, like the sound of great archtop.
    I've been listening to Wes Montgomery over the past week or so. The sound he got through his Wes Montgomery and his Standel was glorious. The depth of sound is NOTHING any other type of guitar is capable of achieving. And it doesnt hurt having Wes plucking those heavy strings with his thumb...
    I have faith that people will still have good taste in the years to come and they will long for that sound once again.
    Joe D
    I think the beauty as much as the sound, particularly for people new to guitar at that point in time and have money. Then maybe someone in popular music at that point becomes known for strapping an archtop on, even if he or she plays little a'la Elvis, and then boom. Maybe....maybe not, but it doesn't seem implausible to me.

  6. #205

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    no it’s endless moaning by old farts forum. there’s no jazz guitar here.
    And I’m glad you came back into the fold, fellow old fart.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  7. #206

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    And I’m glad you came back into the fold, fellow old fart.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Bah humbug.

  8. #207

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Ummm, that's not Munisteri playing with Frisell at the Fretboard Journal.
    My bad


    Frisell's playing a flattop though. And the L5's from 1930....

  9. #208

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    My bad


    Frisell's playing a flattop though. And the L5's from 1930....
    Mid-20’s I think.

  10. #209

    User Info Menu

    I thought mid 20s had the dots?

    (also it says 1930 in the description :-))

  11. #210

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I thought mid 20s had the dots?

    (also it says 1930 in the description :-))
    https://www.fretboardjournal.com/col...ter-model-l-5/

  12. #211

    User Info Menu

    I find it funny that the Hipster Generation likes the early 1920s era of jazz and associted type of instruments. To me this was such Grampa music growing up that I had a hard time relating to it.

    I found it much easier to embrace John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and the Jazz Organ Trio of the 1960s. I've since gone back to Sinatra,Ella, Julie London,etc. The Great American Songbook era of Swing standards as my current passion.

    But like it was said above everything goes around. I'm afraid at 63 that leaves me out of gigging scene for future Swing,lol!