The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Re-upping this thread. I am hoping folks can help me with some math / logic. I know tube / ss amps are rated at x watts but the draw can be quite different.

Could this Jackery power a Vox AC10? Plus Strymon Flint? How much power left over if any?

How about Fender Rumble 40? Plus Strymon Flint? How much power left over if any?

Links that might help...

The Best Portable Power Station for 2022 | Reviews by Wirecutter

Jackery Explorer 300 Portable Power Station

The AC10 Custom - One of the First and Most Loved of Vox Amps

https://www.fender.com/en-US/bass-am...370300000.html

Flint - Tremolo Effect Pedal and Reverb Effect Pedal - Strymon

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Watt/hours is the wattage available for one hour. The Jackery unit you link to is 293wh meaning it can provide 293 watts for one hour, Or, 1 watt for 293 hours.
    So for example, if your equipment has a total wattage requirement of let’s say 60, the math is 293/60=4.8. Thus the. 60 wt load can be supported for 4.8 hours.
    You need to find out the wattage of each piece of equipment, add up and divide.
    Theres some variables like temp, use conditions etc that can mitigate and reduce the time you get.
    Good luck!
    jk

User Info Menu

For this application a Class D amp is desirable. Class D amps only use the power necessary at the moment, and at idle use almost no power. Other types pull full power full time, or close to it. Class D amps also tend to be lighter in weight, but the speaker and cabinet also have to be considered.

User Info Menu

I haven't busked in years but I do get hired for gigs where no electricity is present and based on Vic Wong's advice, I bought a portable power supply. I have done three hour gigs with my Henriksen Blu 6 using the portable power supply with no problem other than a little noise from the lack of grounding. In the past I used to use battery powered amps for these kind of gigs and always felt that the amps were not quite the sound I wanted. The portable power supply is also a boon for home use when the power company turns off the power to make repairs.

User Info Menu

The solution provided by Vic Wong above is certainly more convenient than the outfit I described in post #7. When I was trying to find something to power the Bud back in 2015 or so, comparable units were heavier and less dependably sine-waved.

With my rig this summer I powered my Bud, which amplified my voice and an Eastman archtop, and a Lunchbox Jr., which amplified a 2nd Eastman archtop (we were a trio – a bass (unamplified), 2 guitars, and voice) and powered a little reverb pedal, for about 3 hours. No hum, but also no volume knobs were past 12:00. It also charged the other guitarist's iPhone while we played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I haven't busked in years but I do get hired for gigs where no electricity is present and based on Vic Wong's advice, I bought a portable power supply. I have done three hour gigs with my Henriksen Blu 6 using the portable power supply with no problem other than a little noise from the lack of grounding. In the past I used to use battery powered amps for these kind of gigs and always felt that the amps were not quite the sound I wanted. The portable power supply is also a boon for home use when the power company turns off the power to make repairs.
    Which power supply did you buy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Which power supply did you buy?
    The one I bought (and still use has been discontinued) but it is very similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...168cd4c92b2db2

User Info Menu

I just ordered the 300w Flashfish that is on sale right now on Amazon for $179. Amazon.com

It seems to check the boxes. My Quilter MicroPro guitar amp and my Carvin MB12 bass amp both say 250 watts (both are Class D), so that's covered. Also, it says it's pure sine wave.

And I found this video demo of a different model of Flashfish to give me a bit more comfort. I'll check back in when I get it and let you all know if it works, should be this Saturday.

User Info Menu

Looks like a good choice, let us know how it goes!
    jk

User Info Menu

I've done that before and it had ground noise. Presumably because it relies on a chassis ground and there's no earth ground.

User Info Menu

Maybe I'm not getting the whole picture. Somebody wants to shlep his regular gear to places without electricity but apparently has no budget limit or problem with the overall bulk of the gear. The answer is an electric car and an inverter. A busker on a shoestring needs something utterly portable for public transit and shifting locations on the fly. Battery-powered acoustic combos exist, but suppose that the busker doesn't sing and just wants a great guitar sound without complications from stomp boxes. At least Quilter's Interblock and SuperBlocks run on 24V DC supplied from a separate power unit. (The same comes with H&K's Spirit of... amps.) All one needs is a rechargeable 24V battery pack with hours of playing time, a charger (at home base) and, lest I forget, an ultra-light speaker. Wink wink, nudge-nudge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I just ordered the 300w Flashfish that is on sale right now on Amazon for $179. Amazon.com

It seems to check the boxes. My Quilter MicroPro guitar amp and my Carvin MB12 bass amp both say 250 watts (both are Class D), so that's covered. Also, it says it's pure sine wave.

And I found this video demo of a different model of Flashfish to give me a bit more comfort. I'll check back in when I get it and let you all know if it works, should be this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Looks like a good choice, let us know how it goes!
    jk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I've done that before and it had ground noise. Presumably because it relies on a chassis ground and there's no earth ground.
    I got it, I tested it, I'm returning it.

Plenty of power, intolerable amount of 60 cycle hum with my Fender noiseless pickups (which are actually humbuckers btw). The hum is there both set up inside and set up outside.