Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

What is this ES-175 or ES-165 it was advertised as Gibson Sunburst Herb Ellis ES165 a few years ago

i dated it as 2008 from serial dater site

What is this Gibson?-es165-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like a Gibson Sunburst Herb Ellis ES165, though the truss rod cover should have Herb Ellis' name embossed on it. Maybe they were shipped with a blank truss rod cover as well?

Gibson ES-165 - Wikipedia

In the 2004 variant the inlaid logo and crown return with Herb Ellis' name embossed on the trussrod cover. The earliest ES-165s shipped did not have Herb Ellis' signature on the headstock. This was added only after November, 1991.

User Info Menu

It looks like a textbook Herb Ellis Model, which was an ES-165. I was looking at buying one that year. I am not aware of an ES-175 Herb Ellis Model. I can see how it can be confusing, especially since this appears to be a "stock photo" and not one of the actual guitar that is for sale. And it does look like some single pickup ES-175s, but maybe not for that year?

I could be wrong. Maybe this will help?
    Gibson ES-165 - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

I thought all Herb Ellis ES165 models came with a t.o.m. bridge. One never knows with Gibson.

User Info Menu

My e s 165 which admittedly is 10 years older does have a tune-o-matic bridge and the humbucker is not directly up against the fingerboard. Actually if I recall correctly the only e s 165 I have seen with the pick up against the fingerboard are the more recent floaters.

This has a 165 Tailpiece, a wooden bridge, the PUP is up against the neck , a bit like Joe Pass last ES175 his was thinner this was not normal 175/165 depth the tuners are Herb Ellis style.

User Info Menu

The feature don’t fit right with anything as far as I can tell. The gold hardware and single pickup makes one think 165, but the 165 had a floating pickup by 2008 (why, I have no idea, since Herb never used a floater). The pickup placement is just wrong for either a 165 or a single pickup 175. The bridge is wooden rather than a TOM, but that’s an easy swap.

A 2008 ES-165 with aftermarket installation of a set in humbucker?

User Info Menu

Maybe it is a recent Herb Ellis (they type that has the floater) to which someone has attached a routed-in pickup in the L4ces/L5ces position.

User Info Menu

chibson?! hah

here's another? one that was auctioned off about a year ago, as a Gibson - ES-165 Herb Ellis 2001...

Gibson - ES-165 Herb Ellis - Hollow body - United States of America - 2001 | Barnebys

What is this Gibson?-bcfcfb9e-0c54-4d14-9091-b55cfb73c964-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Here is a 2001 ES-165 Herb Ellis with the exact same features. OOPS, we found it at the same time! LOL!

Gibson - ES-165 Herb Ellis - Hollow body - United States of America - 2001 | Barnebys

The fake ones shown above have writing on truss rod cover, pickguard

here we go

Gibson Herb Ellis ES165 Sunburst (Pre-Owned)

ps i have asked the store, the young guy there , well you know what happened................... not familiar with guitars like these, probably the Strat Tele LP vibe
    Last edited by marvinvv; 07-09-2020 at 07:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    chibson?! hah

here's another? one that was auctioned off about a year ago, as a Gibson - ES-165 Herb Ellis 2001...

This one is now for sale again.
    https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/muziek-...reviousPage=lr

User Info Menu

My guess is that it is a converted floating pickup version of the Gibson ES-165. The headstock inlay is the same as a floating pickup version. Also if you look closely, the knobs of the version in question are not in the same location as the single humbucker version. The bridge was probably switched out too is my guess.

User Info Menu

I had a early 90s ES-165 that I should never have sold

just looked at my photos
    mine had TOM bridge, pickup further away from end of fingerboard, no crown on headstock, and blank truss rod cover, I think that the signature just rubbed off the truss rod cover. Also knob placement was different on the set pickup model