The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

I have only had it on for a couple of weeks. But the finish on my guitar is a water-based epoxy type stuff of some sort which is extremely hard and I doubt would be affected. I got the idea of Blu-Tack from sgosnell who's been doing it longer that me. The pickup does seem to respond more like a routed-in setup; I have had my KA mounted that way and also to the pickguard. Seems like there is more lower-mid content to the tone when stuck to the top than when mounted as a floater.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can anyone here describe the differences in sound between
    these Dearmond pickups ?

1 rhythm chief 1100
    2 rhythm chief 1000
    3 FHC pickup

i know the specs , I just want impressions of the different sounds ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    On my second Wu, I have a Rhythm Chief with Blu-Tack between the pickup and the top, and it sounds very much like a humbucker, darker than my other guitars with set humbuckers. I'm sold on it.
    hi sgosnell,
    did you use a 1100 ?

User Info Menu

Yes, I have the 1100, because I wanted the adjustable polepieces. I've had it on for going on two years, and I can see no effects on the finish. I removed it recently just to check, and to adjust the orientation slightly by changing the amount of Blu-Tack under each end, and the finish looks exactly the same under the pickup as it does in other places. I suppose that there might be a change in color eventually, since you see it under bridges sometimes, as the nitro ages and darkens from light, but stays the same under the bridge. I don't know of a way to prevent that, though, since it's caused by UV or the absence of it. I think it would be the same without the Blu-Tack. So far I've seen no downside. I think I got the idea from someone here, but I can't remember who, or in what thread. Seeing it being used by Whit Smith on his vintage Gibson convinced me to try it, and so far I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Yes, I have the 1100, because I wanted the adjustable polepieces. I've had it on for going on two years, and I can see no effects on the finish. I removed it recently just to check, and to adjust the orientation slightly by changing the amount of Blu-Tack under each end, and the finish looks exactly the same under the pickup as it does in other places. I suppose that there might be a change in color eventually, since you see it under bridges sometimes, as the nitro ages and darkens from light, but stays the same under the bridge. I don't know of a way to prevent that, though, since it's caused by UV or the absence of it. I think it would be the same without the Blu-Tack. So far I've seen no downside. I think I got the idea from someone here, but I can't remember who, or in what thread. Seeing it being used by Whit Smith on his vintage Gibson convinced me to try it, and so far I like it.
    Do you have a picture of the pickup/Blu-tack?

User Info Menu

There isn't much to see. The Blu-Tack is underneath the pickup, and only visible if you look underneath the pickup. I installed a rod before I found the Blu-Tack, so it just looks like a normal 1100 installation. My original concern was that I didn't want a pickguard on the guitar, but the pickup flops around without one to hold the treble side down. With the Blu-Tack, it stays in place without a pickguard. The better tone is a bonus.

Well, I decided to take some pix anyway, FWIW.
    Thinking of routing my EXL-1 for a set-in-img_20200711_144329-jpgThinking of routing my EXL-1 for a set-in-img_20200711_144350-jpgThinking of routing my EXL-1 for a set-in-img_20200711_144313-jpg

Which brand of mini pots are popular? I’ve used CTS and see Bourns used frequently. Gonna go with 250k with whichever PU I choose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    I saw that same video and agree, great sound and excellent playing. A Rhythm Chief is not out of the question. Gotta make my mind up.
    i wholeheartedly agree with the Rhythm Chief suggestion - that is actually my guitar from the reverb listing

i have also put the RC on a Dangelico style b reissue and also an Epiphone Zenith Masterbilt

its an awesome pickup that nails that 50s era jazz tone. Even on a laminate box it works great

So I decided that I liked the feel and look of the DA enough that I pulled the trigger on a VV Pete Biltoft JS CC floater. I went with a gold blade and surround to match the hardware and I think it looks great. He’s building it and I’ll hopefully have it in a little more than a week and a half. I’m still debating on using blue tack or mounting it to the pick guard. That’s a decision to make once it arrives. After listening to Fred Archtops vids of Pete’s CC demos again, I figured I was choosing the right PU for me. Too bad I can’t play like Fred...there’s no buy now option for that. Thinking of routing my EXL-1 for a set-in-ad686ab3-dc9f-49e4-8692-84f30c09f092-png

User Info Menu

I’m still debating on using blue tack or mounting it to the pick guard.
    You can do both. For mounting to the pickguard, you can use screws, epoxy or some other permanent adhesive, or you can use BluTack under both the pickup and the pickguard. A lot depends on the depth between the guitar top and the strings, and the pickguard. I like the coupling between the top and the pickup that BluTack provides, approaching the sound of a set pickup.