The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Sounds really good! I'd sure consider that if I was looking for a new amp.

How do you like the 'feel' of it? I see you know the speaker well. Would you change it out?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

The feel is great. Their amps have the best feel of any SS (hybrid in this case) guitar amp I've used for jazz and with the tube preamp it gets some cool sounds for pop, funk and fusion as well. Get a sweet overdriven sound (with a pedal). In terms of the speaker, it's a compromise. i definitely prefer the celestion G12H-75 creamback and the Alnico 90 creamback. Those are my favorite 2 speakers. The eminence Tonker also sounds great though it has too much bottom IMO. It didn't work well with the quilter for example. But I think it might work well with the Centaur. For me, I'd take on the extra 4lbs and put the celestion in it but if weight and power handling are the most important things to you or if you like the more middy-sounding jensen speakers, the tornado would be a good choice.

User Info Menu

Sounds really good like a Dry Martini! And remember "You've got to make the Morning last, Kicking down the Cobblestones! Feeling Groovy!

User Info Menu

Cool demo:

User Info Menu

I found a puzzling description of the Luna 200R’s reverb from RE:

”When most people think of REVERB, it’s the springy 60’s surf type found in most amplifiers of the era, and it is a unique, useable sound. Real reverb however is a little different. The Luna 200R starts with a lush organic sounding reverb, but in a live setting reverb is not an instant sound. Think of it this way… if you are in a large room and you clap your hands. First, you will hear the clap, and then a delay as the sound travels to bounce off reflecting surfaces. It then returns from a number of sources. The distance control allows the player to set how far those sounds are coming from. This allows a much more natural sounding reverb.”

This starts to sound like they have done the reverb by very short digital delay. Is that so?

I have had two experiences with that kind of ”reverb” (J. Rockett Boing! pedal and DV Mark Micro 50 head) and it sounds like sound pingponging in a large bathroom. I felt claustrophobic when I realised the delay thing.

In both cases I found it out by accidentally hitting the damped strings.

I sold both away as fast as I could so some would say I like the traditional concept of reverb better.

Can You Jack or somebody give some enlightment on this?

(EDIT: This question should have been in Luna 200R thread. The title of this thread had it in but it has changed in some of these days.)

There's no delay circuit in the new 200R. I think the original model had delay and reverb. But don't get hung up on wine-tasting vernacular. The new 200R has great reverb. Best I've heard on any SS amp TBH. Check it out here. No post processing and just a hint of reverb. It's perfect to me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I found a puzzling description of the Luna 200R’s reverb from RE:

”When most people think of REVERB, it’s the springy 60’s surf type found in most amplifiers of the era, and it is a unique, useable sound. Real reverb however is a little different. The Luna 200R starts with a lush organic sounding reverb, but in a live setting reverb is not an instant sound. Think of it this way… if you are in a large room and you clap your hands. First, you will hear the clap, and then a delay as the sound travels to bounce off reflecting surfaces. It then returns from a number of sources. The distance control allows the player to set how far those sounds are coming from. This allows a much more natural sounding reverb.”

This starts to sound like they have done the reverb by very short digital delay. Is that so?

I have had two experiences with that kind of ”reverb” (J. Rockett Boing! pedal and DV Mark Micro 50 head) and it sounds like sound pingponging in a large bathroom. I felt claustrophobic when I realised the delay thing.

In both cases I found it out by accidentally hitting the damped strings.

I sold both away as fast as I could so some would say I like the traditional concept of reverb better.

Can You Jack or somebody give some enlightment on this?

(EDIT: This question should have been in Luna 200R thread. The title of this thread had it in but it has changed in some of these days.)
    Sounds to me like a roundabout way of describing what is commonly called “predelay.” On some studio reverbs (and a few pedal-based reverbs), there is a predelay knob that allows to you to set the length of time, usually in milliseconds, before the reverb is heard. I have found that longer predelay times help the unprocessed guitar sound stand out a bit more. When there’s no predelay the natural guitar sound loses some clarity, at least to my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Sounds to me like a roundabout way of describing what is commonly called “predelay.” On some studio reverbs (and a few pedal-based reverbs), there is a predelay knob that allows to you to set the length of time, usually in milliseconds, before the reverb is heard. I have found that longer predelay times help the unprocessed guitar sound stand out a bit more. When there’s no predelay the natural guitar sound loses some clarity, at least to my ear.
    in this case it was not a pre-delay. It was actually a delay/chorus chip that sat alongside the reverb chip but due to customer feedback, it was removed and the new version without it sounds much better IMO...

User Info Menu

Wow, they have really tried to improve the standard ways of reverb. Good to hear that they have succeeded too!