Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Yes. The Thinline President switched from
    -carved top, hollowbody, venetian cutway, then
    -laminated top, early block, venetian cutway, then
    -laminated top. large block (as shown in the photo), venetian cutway.
    Subsequently, they made a few with
    -laminated-top hollowbody florentine cutway, then a few with
    -laminated-top, large block, florentine cutway
    The current/standard version has a laminated-top, large block, venetian cutway.

Hofner makes very few of these, typically in batches of 6 or so, and they are quite handmade, so, over the past 14 years, there have been variations in the details of the block, rim depth, and other details. @raal - post a picture of yours!

I've kept one for myself - a 2014 with laminated-top, hollowbody, florentine cutway:
    Sadly, I missed a chance on another rare and beautiful version of this guitar which sold before I was able to pay for it:
    2005 Ho?fner 457 Vintage "Sunburst" | Reverb

Here is the info that I gathered on this particular Thin President:

From the web page linked above:

A very limited edition Hofner guitar hand made in Germany! This 457 vintage model is one of only about 6 made as a predecessor to the reissue President model. It features a thinline, semi-hollow body design, Schaller humbucking pickups, and A vintage style sunburst finish, as well as the original Hofner case. The German build quality is exceptional making this a fantastic instrument for the money, while the limited nature of this model make this ideal for any Hofner fan!

From my correspondence with the folks who are selling this (looks like a very nice shop in Nashville) - a series of replies to my questions:

The guitar weighs 6.1 lbs. The neck is straight and has room for adjustment to your taste. The frets are in good shape; it has been played but there are no divots or areas with heavy pitting and is playable all the way up the neck. There is still plenty of room left to crown/level the frets if you so choose.

The wood used is maple for the back and sides, spruce top, ebony fingerboard and headstock overlay. The center block appears to be pine.

The exact neck measurements are as follows:
    1.721" nut width
    2.060" wide at the 12th fret
    .847" deep at the first fret

The bridge is comparable to a Gibson Nashville bridge, so if replacing with Graphtech style you can use either the ABR-1 or Nashville size and it will work for this guitar.

We do have a full service repair shop and can help with anything you need on this or any other guitar.

.890" deep at the 12th fret.

Sonically the guitar is a quite reedy, similar to a 335.

The center block seems like solid wood but the top and back are laminates.

Has anyone here seen a version with a pine center block?

If another one comes along, I'd love a chance to get it! Feel free to pm me if you know of one for sale! : )

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gkorm
    Sadly, I missed a chance on another rare and beautiful version of this guitar which sold before I was able to pay for it:
    2005 Ho?fner 457 Vintage "Sunburst" | Reverb
    Here is the info that I gathered on this particular Thin President:
    From the web page linked above:A very limited edition Hofner guitar hand made in Germany! This 457 vintage model is one of only about 6 made as a predecessor to the reissue President model. It features a thinline, semi-hollow body design, Schaller humbucking pickups, and A vintage style sunburst finish, as well as the original Hofner case. The German build quality is exceptional making this a fantastic instrument for the money, while the limited nature of this model make this ideal for any Hofner fan!
    From my correspondence with the folks who are selling this (looks like a very nice shop in Nashville) - a series of replies to my questions:
    The guitar weighs 6.1 lbs. The neck is straight and has room for adjustment to your taste. The frets are in good shape; it has been played but there are no divots or areas with heavy pitting and is playable all the way up the neck. There is still plenty of room left to crown/level the frets if you so choose.
    The wood used is maple for the back and sides, spruce top, ebony fingerboard and headstock overlay. The center block appears to be pine.
    The exact neck measurements are as follows:
    1.721" nut width
    2.060" wide at the 12th fret
    .847" deep at the first fret
    The bridge is comparable to a Gibson Nashville bridge, so if replacing with Graphtech style you can use either the ABR-1 or Nashville size and it will work for this guitar.
    We do have a full service repair shop and can help with anything you need on this or any other guitar.
    .890" deep at the 12th fret.
    Sonically the guitar is a quite reedy, similar to a 335.
    The center block seems like solid wood but the top and back are laminates.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkorm
    Has anyone here seen a version with a pine center block?
    If another one comes along,I'd love a chance to get it! Feel free to pm me if you know of one for sale! : )
    George: Rumbleseat has been around for many years, first in Ithaca NY, now in Nashville TN. They have always focussed on great vintage American gear, given Elliot's (the owner) keen commercial instincts, so they are not too fussed about accuracy when it comes to obscure German gear that's not worth a lot of money. Here are few corrections to the ad:
    -it's a Thin President, not a 457;
    -the finish is violin varnish finish (shellac), not vintage style sunburst;
    -the laminated wood used for the back and sides is anigree, not maple;
    -the center block is spruce, not pine.

Of course, they neglect to mention two key aspects of the guitar, not immediately apparent:
    -the scale length is 25 1/4";
    -the neck meets the body at the 16th fret.

I'd be happy to forward any listings that appear on my radar.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-16-2022 at 03:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you, Hammertone! I'm grateful for clarification on those details.
    That was quite a lovely guitar (visible despite the "artistic" lighting in those pics).