The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 199 of 199

User Info Menu

I’ve been through two, actually. The first, either with the stock licensed Kent Armstrong pickup or a Classic 57 wasn’t very inspiring. The second was improved mightily with a BG Pure90. When I first got my ES-125, which is my main axe now, I was a little embarrassed at how close the Eastman *sound* was to the Gibson when both were strung with TI 12 flats. I still have the Gibson but not the Eastman, that tells you something, but on a budget with the right set-up, I think they are pretty great guitars.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've owned the '371, John Pisano(s), the Epi Premium '175 which was good right out of the box, and a plethora of Peerless Cremona's.

But if I'd owned a '371 that sounded as sweet as Rob's I'd still own it! Nice demo Rob!

User Info Menu

I played it again this morning. One thing remarkable about this guitar is, how acoustically responsive it is to touch. It plays almost like a nylon string guitar with Thomastik 12's!!! You can have a lot of fun playing fingerstyle on this guitar. Electrically it can use a pickup upgrade. It's just too bright and thin for most peoples expectations from a jazz guitar IMO.
    It has wider neck (1 3/4) and thin profile. Again also good for fingerstyle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Which Ibanez would that be Gitterbug?
    I had to go and look up, the IBZ nomenclature is so confusing. It's a 2014 AFJ91 (blue), to which I have changed a Byrdland-style tailpiece and a MOP pickguard. The original tailpiece was prone to breakage, and the pickguard looked like a piece of Formica kitchen top. Of course, on closer inspection the AFJ91 body is not all maple, as the inside veneer is mahogany-like and the top has a spruce surface. The original Super 58 is ok for the price category. Yet, I preferred my '99 Emperor Regent for an outdoor gig yesterday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I played it again this morning. One thing remarkable about this guitar is, how acoustically responsive it is to touch. It plays almost like a nylon string guitar with Thomastik 12's!!! You can have a lot of fun playing fingerstyle on this guitar. Electrically it can use a pickup upgrade. It's just too bright and thin for most peoples expectations from a jazz guitar IMO.
    It has wider neck (1 3/4) and thin profile. Again also good for fingerstyle.

Interesting, I started playing mine again after changing strings to the TI Swing JS112 string set. I found the guitar became much more alive with that string set. About a year ago I had put the La Bella 12 set on that guitar, and I think that set was too heavy for that guitar.

I suspect when you have a light acoustically responsive top that string selection maybe even more critical than it is with heavier guitar tops. Although heavier strings played with real gusto may put more energy into the guitar top and produce initial volume, I think they may also choke the top and absorb energy from the top.

I played my AR371CE and no other guitar for almost a year when I first bought it. A year later I bought my AR503CE and that's the guitar I have primarily used for the past 4 years. For the past week I have kept my AR371CE in my living room separate from my normal practice area. I do find myself picking it up rather frequently late in the evening when relaxing.

For the year when I did play my AR371CE, I had GHS 12-50 900 flatwound strings on that guitar. I might try those again. I started searching for alternative strings after a few hot humid outdoor gigs where my finger tips became rather irritated. I don't see that string set referenced here very often. I find them to be strong from a fundamental frequency point of view with a strong initial attack. They have a darker almost gun metal grey appearance. Wraps are not as fine as some other flat wound strings.

User Info Menu

I often wonder what guitar Eastman used for reference when they designed the AR371CE. Many people have noted it does not sound like recent Gibson ES175 guitars.

I do wonder if it sounds like some other, perhaps much older, laminate top guitar.

Original poster should note the AR371CE we commonly see may be more difficult to find. In future they will only make the two pickup model (no rosewood). Perhaps we now need a thread on the new AR372CE?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I often wonder what guitar Eastman used for reference when they designed the AR371CE. Many people have noted it does not sound like recent Gibson ES175 guitars.

I do wonder if it sounds like some other, perhaps much older, laminate top guitar.

Original poster should note the AR371CE we commonly see may be more difficult to find. In future they will only make the two pickup model (no rosewood). Perhaps we now need a thread on the new AR372CE?
    The one I have is definitely more lightly built than ES 175 1959 VOS's and 60's original models I played.

User Info Menu

Yes, mine is also more lightly built than any ES175 I've played, including a 60s one I had for a while.

I got my AR371CE second hand and bought it mainly as a cheapish instrument to take to jams and open mics etc. It was initially fitted with roundwound strings and a TOM bridge, and was light in weight, bright in tone. It was also quite comfortable to play. When I got it home I thought I'd try fitting the original wooden bridge (it came with it in the case) and putting on some flatwounds (TI Swings 11's). I also tweaked the truss rod and lowered the action which made it even nicer to play.

This all really transformed the guitar. Although still bright, it now has a lovely aliveness, articulation and touch sensitiveness. This is particularly good for me as I play with my thumb quite a bit and the brightness is a positive asset in that context. Sounds especially good to me with a bit of an almost-breakup setting on the amp that is only there when I dig in hard. Sounds a bit Charlie Christianesque.

After playing it out a few times I found the pickup to be a bit muddy so I put in an Irongear Blues Machine humbucker. This made the guitar a good bit clearer and enhances the articulation.

I really like the guitar now and play it possibly more than my fancier archtops. It sounds somehow "old" to me. As someone above said, it's very much it's own thing, but it's a good thing in my book.
    Last edited by geoff23; 08-05-2019 at 11:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Danielle mentioned the AR503CE from Eastman which is a good alternative. It is similar to the 371 but with a carved top, with an inset humbucker. I've managed to pick one up at a good price, and it should be with me in a few days' time. I'll do a review of it shortly after.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Are you sure the guitar in the second video is an AR371? It has different fingerboard inlays from the 371/175

John
    Most certainly it is a 371 from five years or so ago. Perhaps they've changed the inlays since then?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Most certainly it is a 371 from five years or so ago. Perhaps they've changed the inlays since then?
    Look again at your two videos -- "Ballad and Blues" is a clearly an Eastman AR 371. "Stella" is a different guitar, with split block inlays rather than dual parallelogram inlays (the headstock is not visible so I can't see what it is). I've never seen an AR371 with those inlays, so I assume it's something else.

John

User Info Menu

John, you are absolutely right! Doh! Mea culpa!

User Info Menu

I have been playing my Epi Masterbilt so much that I neglected my poor AR-371. Yesterday I pulled it out and started renewing our friendship. New set of strings and worked on the action. I cannot believe how great this guitar is. After just a little bit of tweaking, the action is outstanding. For a laminate, it is very loud acoustically; even with flatwounds. Very lively tone with a lot of highs. Of course I can dial the electric tone in very easily and get a great straight ahead tone. I always wonder why some feel the need to "upgrade" the pickups. The original sounds great to my ears.

Looks like the Epi is going to get a rest for a while.

User Info Menu

What strings did you put on it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott
    What strings did you put on it?
    I had a set of D'Addario chrome 12s that hadnt been opened. I also have a small cache of TI swing 13s but wanted to make sure I still liked the guitar before going to them.

User Info Menu

371s are top guitars for the money. Really like them.

curious about the masterbilt, you like it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    371s are top guitars for the money. Really like them.

curious about the masterbilt, you like it?
    I love the Masterbilt. It's gotten an undeserved bad bad rap by some here, but it is a great guitar. Build quality is excellent and it looks fantastic. I had a pickguard made with a floating humbucker and electronics all installed. With flats and that pickup it's very smoky sounding. Currently I have acoustic strings on it and using the Fishman bridge pickup for Gypsy jazz. It doesn't sound like a selmer but it has a great acoustic tone which I can easily shape from my amp. Very versatile and an unbeatable neck. I just wish it had a cutaway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    I have been playing my Epi Masterbilt so much that I neglected my poor AR-371. Yesterday I pulled it out and started renewing our friendship. New set of strings and worked on the action. I cannot believe how great this guitar is. After just a little bit of tweaking, the action is outstanding. For a laminate, it is very loud acoustically; even with flatwounds. Very lively tone with a lot of highs. Of course I can dial the electric tone in very easily and get a great straight ahead tone. I always wonder why some feel the need to "upgrade" the pickups. The original sounds great to my ears.

Looks like the Epi is going to get a rest for a while.
    I hear you - although mine is an AR 372 - the double pickup version. It leaves nothing to be desired.

User Info Menu

I played one of those once for about a half hour. It was just silly easy to get a great jazz sound out of it. And the price was fantastic. If I had any room left in my house...

User Info Menu

My AR371 is the one I play everyday. I love it.

Attachment 73757

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwaverider

Attachment 73757

Blonde rules!

User Info Menu

I love those, what kind of pickup it's yours?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arnesto
    I love those, what kind of pickup it's yours?
    The stock Kent Armstrong pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwaverider

Attachment 73757
    I mean these pickup