Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,

I’m wondering if anybody has experience with the Marshall Origin Series or Studio series amps. Mostly I’m interested to see if the power scaling technology gets these to “bedroom level” so they end up as great practice amps.

The demos on the Marshall website sound great and the origin series seems surprisingly affordable.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The only good point of Marshall amps is that they go up to 11.

User Info Menu

I ve had a few Marshalls and they don't work particularly well for home or solo use, as they are voiced for playing loud in a band setting, and can thus sound thin and trebly on low volume.The studio vintage doesn't even have a master. If you however buy a head instead of a combo, you can choose a more bassy cab that will help. But the first time you play them loud you 'll be sorry for them as house amps...

User Info Menu

I got great tones at mic- and ear- friendly levels by using a Scholz Power Soak to control the roar with my Studio 15 (two 6v6s), my 50watt Plexi (two El34s) and 100watt Super Lead Plexi (4 EL34s). Not familiar with current models, but with the classics, it's all about scaling the sound to ear level and tweaking the knobs on the amps to finesse the tone to sit properly in the mix. Context is everything. YMMV.

User Info Menu

I have the studio vintage (SV20H) and matching 2x12 cabinet. It is a great amp, very much in the spirit of my 50 watt plexi (1987x). Neither have a master volume and thus need to be quite loud to Deliver the goods. There is also a 20-watt studio version of the famous JCM800 (SC20). It does have a master volume.

I also owned the 50 watt Origin head for over a year. It’s an affordable take on the vintage Marshall’s. While it also does have a Master volume, I have found that the Origins really don’t sound very good unless the Master volume is cranked to 6 or higher. At that point, the Gain control behaves much like a Plexi volume control. Also a very good amp, and, for the money, it’s a great value. But it’s not in the same league as the more costly studio series.

Here are my observations regarding the Power scaling feature and how these amps work at bedroom volume: The studio series power scaling is pretty effective at keeping thick Marshall tone at slightly lower volume. The Origin Power scaling works pretty well on the medium setting but the low setting is weaker and fizzier. But, even in their lowest power settings, the Origin and SV20 are loud. While both can sound ok at bedroom volume (especially if you use pedals), they really come alive as you turn the volume knob up. The SC20’s master volume enables the bedroom volume thing pretty well. But the others really need an attenuator to tame the volume if you want cranked Marshall tone.

For clean tones, using a volume pedal or volume knob in the effects loop can really tame these beasts.

What kind of tones are you looking for? Classic Rock? Jazz? Metal?

Roli

User Info Menu

I always dreamed about a 4x12 half stack in my house just for the thrill. Even if just for one night. Maybe blow out a window or two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I always dreamed about a 4x12 half stack in my house just for the thrill. Even if just for one night. Maybe blow out a window or two.
    Come on over anytime for a jam Woody! Here’s the “rock” corner of my office/studio:
    Marshall Origin and Studio Series-924386d1-a452-4aa3-a284-3b35ef167c47-jpg

User Info Menu

If you are already set up for such a thing and so inclined, the softube Marshall amp sims are easily the best and most fun I've had with an amp sim. The Plexi is fun if you want the non stop rock of yore, but the blues breaker is one of the best sounding things I've ever heard. It's stolen hours on end from me.

$100 is kind of a lot (and they are geared more toward recording than guys who just want to jam) but that's still way cheaper than any physical amp. Not to mention they sound better, record easily and can be as loud or quiet as you like.

User Info Menu

I have the Origin 20 head and find the power scaling to be pretty good compared to other amps and attenuators I've tried. Just keep in mind that nothing at bedroom levels will sound like a cranked Marshall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    The only good point of Marshall amps is that they go up to 11.

My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe & Blues Junior go to 12. One louder than a Marshall !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie
    My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe & Blues Junior go to 12. One louder than a Marshall !
    True! And, just like the Marshall Silver jubilee, the labels on the silver control panel of the HRD and Blues Jr are hard to read, so you have to “feel” your way to the best tone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    I have the Origin 20 head and find the power scaling to be pretty good compared to other amps and attenuators I've tried. Just keep in mind that nothing at bedroom levels will sound like a cranked Marshall.
    Here is a comparable thread in a Porsche forum
    "I just bought a 911 GT3. Will I get the same feeling of exhilaration driving it around my cul-de-sac as I would racing it at the Nurburgring?