The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 226 to 239 of 239

User Info Menu

You are very lucky , what a bargain.

Now that's the guitar I fancied the Jazz one .

It wasn't in the store but it's a more expensive model so dread to think what the price is .

You gave me something to tbink about .
    High fret access is important to me .

At the moment I am learning on my Gibson J35 acoustic.
    Not only is the sound all wrong for Jazz I am so frustrated trying to get to the 17th fret .

I missed out on very well priced 2nd hand Gibson 339.

Just need to be patient.
    A2nd hand Heritage would be good too !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That is useful
    What I really liked about the Kingpin was that it is so lightweight.

I didn't realise that the HB version was heavier.

User Info Menu

What a great price!
    I will keep searching.
    New guitars come up daily.

The Monarch was semi hollow came up last week but went straight away .

Maybe I will get lucky !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I owned a Godin Jazz model that I purchased new from some kind of Amazon end of the year clearance sale directly from Godin for about $875 shipped including the light weight hard Tric case. At that price I almost didn't consider it a gamble. Beautiful guitar. Well balanced mass. Excellent sound both acoustically and amplified. Reminded me of a well made Martin. However, I didn't like the flat radius of the fretboard which I think was 16", and I also didn't like the cutaway neck joint design. The body edges made access to the higher frets a fantasy. I traded it for a Gibson ES-390.

I also have had two Peerless models - a Monarch with a set humbucker and a Jazz City with a set humbucker. Both were excellent guitars, but they weren't actually true hollow bodies. They had posts underneath their bridges. I think that all the Peerless models have them, but I could be wrong about that. The tops of both guitars were also rather thick. Very playable guitars though. I just found that I wanted a true hollow body and ended up with Herb Ellis Gibson ES-165 with a set humbucker. I liked it so much that I also acquired a Herb Ellis ES-165 with a floater. I have owned four Gibsons during my lifetime and have these three now. They have all been fabulous guitars. I doubt that I will part with any of the three that I have now.

For the OP, be sure that you can live with the Godin cutaway design. They vary between models. As far as price goes, it is hard for me to be critical. The deal that I got was so unusual that it is hard for me to comment on the brand when the one that I purchased was 60%-70% off of list. And it came directly from Godin. Not a second or a return either. They probably needed some end of year cash.
    According to Peerless, the Monarch bridge is fixed, but the Jazz City has a floating bridge, as does my Sunset. Why would you have a block under a floating bridge?

The Sunset is a great value for a hollow body in a thin line configuration. Very light. I think ergonomically it is far superior to the 335 styles. Depends on your preference I guess.

As far as Godins, I am a big fan—have owned 2 5th Avenues—but $2000 is way too much for this model. Some of the fancier Premieres might be worth that.

User Info Menu

Good morning Dr Jeff.

Thank you for your reply.
    They don't actually sell Peerless in Israel.

I don't know from where the 2nd hand one came from .
    Though the seller is Russian so I expect from there.

Love the sound
    especially acoustically.

The Sunset looks great.

I will just keep looking at the 2nd hand page .
    A more reasonably priced Godin might come up .

I saw a guitar from Duesenberg that looks interesting and also fancy Heritage .

If something comes up 2nd hand .
    A bit pricey for my first jazz guitar .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    According to Peerless, the Monarch bridge is fixed, but the Jazz City has a floating bridge, as does my Sunset. Why would you have a block under a floating bridge?...
    Both models that I had had floating rosewood bridges and wood posts (more like blocks) glued inside between the tops and backs pretty close to directly underneath the bridge positions. I think that they help curtail feedback and also prevent the tops from sinking. Supposedly you can remove them, but there has to be a chance that the tops will sink.

User Info Menu

The 5th Ave Kingpin was quite a fad in Finland shortly after its introduction. Most people, like me, chose the single-PU, not-cutaway version, because of its vintage looks and favorable price. The neck P-90 is sharp as needles, so I would'nt have any use for the bridge PU. Those now command 450-500 euros on the used market, the excellent Tric case included. I could part with mine - absolutely flawless Cognacburst - but have no clue about shipping conditions (a complete mess due to the pandemic) or rates.

User Info Menu

Not sure whether that's a model that's interesting for you, but it's located in Israel, and the seller has had it listed for a looong time, so he might be open to lower offers (I stumbled across that one when I was looking for used Eastmans outside the US).

https://reverb.com/item/19241020-eas...v-2018-antique

User Info Menu

If only I still lived in Denmark ..closer to you !

The tax is so high and shipping so problematic during these times ?

Thank you though .

User Info Menu

Have you played one? They are all cherry construction. I don't know of any other guitar maker that use cherry top, back and sides. They have a particular sound as a result IMO. I would try one first before paying a premium price. Not saying it's bad but different.

User Info Menu

I played one very briefly unplugged.

I would need another visit to the shop to try again before committing myself .

Out of the guitars I have tried so far it was just the most comfortable..though I liked the sounds of Ephiphone Broadway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabs
    What a great price!
    I will keep searching.
    New guitars come up daily.

The Monarch was semi hollow came up last week but went straight away .

Maybe I will get lucky !
    Where do you live in Israel? Most summers I come to Israel with students and if I were coming this summer, I'd pick up a guitar for you and bring it in. But COVID has pretty much killed that. If by summer 2021 you still haven't found a guitar, maybe we could work out something. I often travel with a guitar when I come to Israel since I usually stay for 6 weeks (archaeology).

User Info Menu

That is very kind ..though I hope that by the end of July I have a new guitar , August at the latest !.

Sadly until we have a vaccine I don't see things improving.

How interesting .
    Archeology in Israel ..

I live on the south side of the Dead Sea on a Moshav .

My maiden name is Lawson .
    You are from Scotland ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    The 5th Ave Kingpin was quite a fad in Finland shortly after its introduction. Most people, like me, chose the single-PU, not-cutaway version, because of its vintage looks and favorable price. The neck P-90 is sharp as needles, so I would'nt have any use for the bridge PU. Those now command 450-500 euros on the used market, the excellent Tric case included. I could part with mine - absolutely flawless Cognacburst - but have no clue about shipping conditions (a complete mess due to the pandemic) or rates.
    I don’t know about the shipping, but the VAT with items between 75$– 500$ (excluding shipping) is 17%. If the price is 500$, the tax is 85$. 585$ (plus shipping) would not be bad!

”Import taxes - VAT, Customs duties and purchase tax imposed on objects.

VAT - Value added tax, which is a uniform 17% in Israel (as of today).”