The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anybody tried this? A rack power conditioner is not in the cards for me but wondering if this can tame some of my house’s buzzy wiring...

Furman SS 6B

15A AC Surge Strip 6 outlet 2X3 block with Extreme Voltage Shutdown, Metal Chassis, 15Ft Cord | Furman Power | Purifying power for over 40 years.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

no that will not clean rf interference/noise...what it will do is if your house voltage (which nowadays is supposed to be 120v...but often rises above) excedes the +/- parameters it will shut down

many older tube amps were designed to be run at 115v...but modern usa wall socket voltage can be 123v and more...which is stressful on older amps..and other appliances

a brown box which gives you the ability to limit/set the outlet voltage is best with vintage amps

but 2 distinct matters

cheers

User Info Menu

Most cheap standard home/office surge protector/power strips have the same rfi filters as the Furman. It cleans up some radio-frequency interference = electromagnetic interference.

Standard level RFI/EMI filtration
    Filter: -20dB Min, 100kHz – 1MHz

Electromagnetic interference - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

I always take the Fuhrman to rehearsals and gigs. We use a lot of older school auditoriums, Legion halls and the like, and it does cut down on electrical noise. Also it has a nice long cord and room for the keyboard and bass to plug in so everyone’s happy ...

User Info Menu

This Furman is twice expensive but it does have the word conditioner in the description. I wonder if this does something extra.

Furman PST-2+6 Power Station Series AC Power Conditioner | Musician's Friend

User Info Menu

none of the powerstation devices reduce hum in old house wiring

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomems
    Anybody tried this? A rack power conditioner is not in the cards for me but wondering if this can tame some of my house’s buzzy wiring...

Furman SS 6B
    15A AC Surge Strip 6 outlet 2X3 block with Extreme Voltage Shutdown, Metal Chassis, 15Ft Cord | Furman Power | Purifying power for over 40 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomems

Furman SS 6B
    If the buzz is entering the signal chain through the guitar I think it’s unlikely filtering the power to the amp will help much. If rotating the guitar or touching the strings reduces the buzz it’s probably not getting into your amp via the power cord. There are experiments you can do to track down sources of buzz. For example, turn off all circuit breakers, then turn on one at a time to see if the noise source from a device on one of the circuits. Dimmers, wall warts, and monitors are all suspects.

But it’s also possible for your guitar to pick up buzz generated on power lines outside your house. I’ve read the cause is often due to failing connectors or insulators. If you suspect that, call the power company. They should want to fix it.

User Info Menu

i have a couple of those furmans in the first post. solid power strip. but won't do a damn thing to resolve electrical issues so far as i can tell. i was still besieged by all kinds of weird, bad and loud power in my old spot. recommended if you keep that in mind.

i also like tripp lites, which are similar but better, i assume. that's all i saw in hospitals, for what that's worth. neither brand has given me any trouble.

User Info Menu

Isolation Transformers. Read up on them. Find one suitable for your requirement.