The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Raezers Edge Centauri Hybrid Amp
    Available in 2x8, 1x10 or 1x12
    Amp in the demo is 2x8 Eminence Alpha 8a
    200 watt class D power section, 12AX7A preamp tube running in true high voltage design for real tube sound. (many amps of this type actually use a low voltage to the tube and use other circuitry for the sound produced)
    Bass, Treble, Midrange controls similar to the Sol amplifier.
    Spring Reverb

Very lightweight, amp / cabinet is approx 18 lbs not including speaker(s)

Also, the president of the company, geoff Felscher will be featured as artist of the week in a week or two in my facebook group Modern Jazz Guitar Public Group | Facebook so check it out to see what else is on the horizon for them.

Raezer's Edge Centaur Hybrid Amp-dsc01333-jpgRaezer's Edge Centaur Hybrid Amp-dsc01330-jpgRaezer's Edge Centaur Hybrid Amp-dsc01335-jpgRaezer's Edge Centaur Hybrid Amp-dsc01339-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any idea what the price is/will be?

User Info Menu

Not available as head-only?

User Info Menu

They need to slow down -- I can't keep up with all their new gear!

[I enjoy my Luna 200R head!]

User Info Menu

How does this compare to the Henriksen Forte? Does this amp have an FX loop?

not sure about the price, I just reached out to Geoff and will post back when I have more info. I'll be getting a prototype on wednesday or thursday. I think it will be available in a head too. Regarding henriksen, the power amps are completely different. Henriksen doesn't use class D and uses a more conventional analog amplifier design. The class D that Geoff uses saves a lot of weight and probably some $$$ too. I believe henriksen uses a digital reverb circuit. Geoff's preamp amp is based on a fender AB763 amplifier driving a spring reverb where the spring part of the circuit is driven by jfets that utilize a similar circuit design as fender from what I understand so it should have that swampy, fendery goodness. I never got one of the Forte's to try so I won't be able to do a sonic comparison.

User Info Menu

Can't quite see the control panel/pots from those pics, would like to. 18 lbs is getting my gas going.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 06-28-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Raezer's Edge Centaur Hybrid Amp-dsc01334-jpg

by the way,no effect loop. Loop is not needed on an amp that doesn't have overdrive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    not sure about the price, I just reached out to Geoff and will post back when I have more info. I'll be getting a prototype on wednesday or thursday. I think it will be available in a head too. Regarding henriksen, the power amps are completely different. Henriksen doesn't use class D and uses a more conventional analog amplifier design. The class D that Geoff uses saves a lot of weight and probably some $$$ too. I believe henriksen uses a digital reverb circuit. Geoff's preamp amp is based on a fender AB763 amplifier driving a spring reverb where the spring part of the circuit is driven by jfets that utilize a similar circuit design as fender from what I understand so it should have that swampy, fendery goodness. I never got one of the Forte's to try so I won't be able to do a sonic comparison.
    Looks interesting. A 2 x 8 format can really sound full and rich, if the extra weight is acceptable, and there is a 3dB gain from having 2 speakers in the same cab in any combo amp.

Re Hendriksen, I think that they have been using class D amps for the last year or two in the Bud and Blu amps, and maybe their new Ten amp. The giveaways are the lack of heatsinks ( ie finned metal extrusions ) on the back of those amps, which higher power " analogy" transistor amps need for heat dissipation, and the abruptly reduced weight. I also supect that the reason it's not been particularly broadcast by them is that previously they made a point of saying that no "digital" circuits were used in their gear. Class D isn't 'digital' anyway, it's a different kind of analogue, but this is a common misconception. I believe their Forte amp still uses Class A/B ( not class D ) circuitry. Nearly all reverb circuits, including jfet-based, use analogue circuitry. Modelling amps are where you really get into "digital' circuitry. This is not dissing Hendriksen, they make good amps, and technology evolves.

Does it matter? Not really, unless you can hear the difference. I don't hear a difference. As you say the big advantage of Class D is the weight saving.

Henriksen told me he is not using a class D amplifier in the forte. And just to clarify, most solid state amps are using a digital reverb circuit these days. Several companies including the company nuenaber who makes the wet verb are making chipsets that many of the SS amp makers are using. The reverb circuit in this raezer's edge amp uses an actual spring tank.

User Info Menu

A little 2x8" open-back combo with a 12ax7 preamp tube, spring reverb, and plenty of ss power? Sounds like a great idea! I use one of these when the mood strikes. 30-year-old tech, and it does have some added functionality as well (stereo chorus, channel switching, line out, gain/master volume), but that's easy enough to ignore:

Last edited by Hammertone; 06-28-2020 at 08:04 PM.

if I'm not mistaken, that ampeg unit uses a low voltage tube circuit. In the Raezer's edge amplifier, he's driving the plates of the tubes with high voltage like fender does.

User Info Menu

Re: Henriksen Forte power amp type: This is from a previous thread on the Forte. The quotes are from Peter Henriksen

"The power amp - The Forte is not using a switching power supply or a class D power amp. The Forte uses the same A/B design we have been using with the JazzAmp since its inception. If you want to know technically what it is, it's a darlington pair transistor configuration. Our use of the word "analog" to describe the amp is meant more to differentiate it from modeling amplifiers than from class D. Recent class D developments have been extraordinary, and we are making use of it in our other products, however when we tried it with The Forte, you could really "feel" the difference, and we just felt the product was superior when coupled with the traditional A/B amplifier.

The tube - it's a full plate voltage (as opposed to starved) 12AX7 circuit. Heat isn't really a serious concern, that's not why we have the tube sticking out of the top, we assumed people would be wanting to change out the tube and so looked for a way to marry the design with accessibility, and protect it at the same time. Our stock tube is a Mullard, so it's not like we went with the cheapest option for stock, but much like the speaker, we know there are plenty of options out there to suit individual tastes."

User Info Menu

This is interesting to me because there is a difference in sound/feel comparing the same amp running 6V6 versus 6L6 tubes. What effect on tone do the RE and Henriksen tubeless power amps have? Are they “tuned” to emulate the sound of, say, a squishy single 6V6, or the harder edge of a 6L6, or do they have their own thing going on? Can/do they saturate like a tube-based power amp?

As a geek, I am genuinely curious, not trying to diss solid-state amps in any way. I’ve owned several of the “better” solid-state amps and have found something to like in all of them—Lab Series, Yamaha G50/100, Pearce, Polytone, Henriksen. I actually have a Lab Series L3 arriving this week. The only one that I didn’t like all that much was a Polytone Baby Taurus—it was too “congested”, for lack of a better word.

No, neither the henriksen or RE poweramps are designed to emulate tube power amps. They are simply amplifying the preamp...But...Many of the jazz amps utilize a circuit that IMO, is way to heavy in bass and low mids while I can't speak for the forte, never having played one - I can tell you that the power amp on the RE is not like that. It doesn't have a peaky treble or boomy/muddy bass.

just heard back from Geoff. These will be around $1200 street, depending on speaker choice. Keeping my fingers crossed that my prototype will ship today!

User Info Menu

Thanks. Not bad at all for what it is.

User Info Menu

Jack, Thanks for your post. I asked about a comparison because I erroneously thought you had already checked out the Forte. Based on the videos from Bob Ross and Scott Lerner, a couple of months ago I purchased a Forte head. I'm very pleased with the Henriksen but I'm always interested in other options.

So i got a couple new toys today from Geoff Felsher at Raezer's Edge.

I got the new Raezer's Edge Luna 200R which is an updated version of the 200 I had and it's got more volume available as well as a great sounding reverb and dual outputs. No need for my RV7 anymore!

But the highlight is the Centaur1 amp. It's a fender style tube preamp running at high voltage like a real fender, real spring reverb going into the luna power amp and through a 12" jensen neo speaker. Whole thing weighs about 25lbs. I'll be doing some demo clips this weekend!

They both sound amazing. The preamp in the Centaur sounds better and more tubey than the kingsley maiden I've been using!

Raezer's Edge Centaur Hybrid Amp-20200702_152327-jpg

Raezer's Edge Centaur Hybrid Amp-20200702_152334-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks good! During the winter I almost made a deal on the Luna with Geoff, but the shipping to EU got too high for me at the end.

Now the Luna has reverb, and the Centaur seems quite optimal package too. I have to congratulate myself hesitating in winter!

...Hmm, but the shipping to EU is still high... hesitation goes on!

A quick demo using a new Raezer's Edge Centaur amp. It's a hybrid amplifier utilizing a high voltage 12AX7-based fender-style preamp, real spring reverb, mated with a 200w Luna amplifier (also by Raezer's Edge). This one is a single 12" combo amp with a Jensen Tornado Stealth speaker and weighs less than 25lbs. Thanks to Geoff Felsher for making such cool gear.

User Info Menu

Slow down, you move too fast! Your technique is awesome, to say the least. However, for an amp demo, we want long, lingering notes and buoyant chords.

User Info Menu

You can hear some chording at 0:32 for around 5 seconds, also around 1:29 for a good while.

I think the amp sounds great. I see one in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Slow down, you move too fast! Your technique is awesome, to say the least. However, for an amp demo, we want long, lingering notes and buoyant chords.
    it wasn't meant to be a formal factory demo for the amplifier. I'm sure one of those is coming soon. It was just a quick morning practice using the amp for those who wanted to know what it sounds like. I guess I'll rename the thread so as to avoid confusion.

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Jay Zed. I am considering a Milkman The Amp 100 and the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200/Effectrode Blackbird. I add the Raezer's Edge Centaur to my list of contenders.