The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 87 of 87

User Info Menu

The thing about hollow body and especially solid top carved guitars ,is there's a slight airiness to the tone. But it's also the actual feel when playing one.

My suggestion is look I to either a used recent Eastman 810CE or. 805CE at the price your budget allows. It might be slightly more $.

If you do t care about the Acostic airiness then look into a used 175 type of laminate guitar. But again Eastman, Peerless, Epiphone are pretty much the budget allowed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe consider the Stanford CR Vanguard. Solid spruce top, laminated maple back and sides and ebony fingerboard. Price is around 1.100€.

User Info Menu

Nothing for under a price of $1k will touch an Epi Premium '175. Nothing else comes close. It truly sounds nearly as good as the real thing. I don't think many here have even owned one.

User Info Menu

Possibly an Ibanez af81 and put a nice pickup in it .... or an AF91
    Even the low end Ibanez like thes are very consistent
    and consequently fairly safe to buy used unseen

good luck

User Info Menu

A $1000 is a good budget. I look to Japan for my fix in hollowbody guitars these days. I recommend that you consider Archtop Tribute guitars. They are built almost like old school Gibson laminateds. I have posted this video twice before:

User Info Menu

I am happy with everything that I have and buying more material things is not my cup of tea. However I have a significant birthday coming up and my wife would put money towards a (nother) guitar.

I would like to develop the chordal style in the video below more.

So which guitar do you think is best for that style?

A few caveats;
    # €1000 or less
    # Left-handed
    # Can only buy in the EU (due to import tax)

Looking forward to your replies

User Info Menu

You can get a Godin from Thomann for a little under 800. D'Angelicos are also great value at under 1000 and can be found lefty.

Godin 5th Ave Kingpin P90 LH – Thomann Ellada

Places to look for left handers in EU
    LeftyGuitars - The ultimate choice in lefthanded guitars
    LE GAUCHER

User Info Menu

Unless I am greatly mistaken, the gentleman in the video is playing some Ibanez model. A similar guitar should be available in a left-hand model. Ibanez instruments are well made and play well and are often quite affordable. I have had several with no problems. Good luck!
    Just checked Sweetwater -they have a LH AF 55 for $ 380.

User Info Menu

When playing electric solo fingerstyle I prefer guitars that have sustain and sweet trebles (a la Ted Greene). So my suggestion would be a solid or a semi-hollow guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Unless I am greatly mistaken, the gentleman in the video is playing some Ibanez model. A similar guitar should be available in a left-hand model. Ibanez instruments are well made and play well and are often quite affordable. I have had several with no problems. Good luck!
    Just checked Sweetwater -they have a LH AF 55 for $ 380.
    Yes, that's me I'm playing an Ibanez AFJ85. It's a great guitar

User Info Menu

Most of the guitars readily available these days nearing the thousand euro mark are good, in fact it's harder to find a bad one. So, questions to consider (in no particular order) are nut width, inset humbucker and plywood top or floater on a carved or pressed top, quality when played acoustic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Yes, that's me I'm playing an Ibanez AFJ85. It's a great guitar
    I know, I have one myself. Just couldn't quite make out enough of the headstock to be sure.